Windows 10: How do I re-image Windows 11 locked by BitLocker?

Discus and support How do I re-image Windows 11 locked by BitLocker? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just bought a new HP laptop. It has a SSD and a hard drive. I upgraded it to Windows 11. It accepted a new account @outlook.com using a pin number... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JABrown58, Feb 8, 2022.

1. JABrown58 Win User

How do I re-image Windows 11 locked by BitLocker?

I just bought a new HP laptop. It has a SSD and a hard drive. I upgraded it to Windows 11. It accepted a new account @outlook.com using a pin number and does not appear to have created an Outlook account.Window updates occurred a couple of days later, which my wife said failed. When it restarted it went to the BitLocker Recovery page. I have tried to re-image the laptop using a USB drive but that failed. The last error said it needed a driver to find the target drive. What? Where?Windows 11 Home should not use BitLocker. HP did not mention it on the quick start sheet or in the user manual. It

:)

JABrown58, Feb 8, 2022

2. BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Feb 8, 2022
  3. Bitlocker locked on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to try the step under the section "To unlock removable data drive" in the following article:

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, ask OP to refer to the following article:

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Feb 8, 2022
  4. mcraygsx Win User

Windows 8.1 PRO unable to unlock Bitlocked drive

As you can see BitLocker Option is not highlighted for selection. It's like Windows does not even recognize this drive as a locked drive. And this drive does contain lot of Data.

How do I re-image Windows 11 locked by BitLocker? QDhU4Ht.png

mcraygsx, Feb 8, 2022
Thema:

1. How do I re-image Windows 11 locked by BitLocker? - Similar Threads - image locked BitLocker

2. How do I get my Windows RE image back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my Windows RE image back?: Like many others, I got an error code of 0x80070643 when I tried to install the Windows Recovery Environment Update KB5034441. I followed the "Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update" KB5028997. I got confused with the instructions and I...
  3. How do I get my Windows RE image back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my Windows RE image back?: Like many others, I got an error code of 0x80070643 when I tried to install the Windows Recovery Environment Update KB5034441. I followed the "Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update" KB5028997. I got confused with the instructions and I...
  4. How do I get my Windows RE image back?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I RE activate Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I RE activate Windows 11?: I purchased a new PC online 9 months ago. This came with "Windows 11 Pro" pre-installed.During the last six weeks I have been receiving a message on my Desktop telling me to Activate windows.When I go so Settings>System and try to activate Windows, I get, after a long wait, a...
  6. How do I RE activate Windows 11?

How do I RE activate Windows 11?: I purchased a new PC online 9 months ago. This came with "Windows 11 Pro" pre-installed.During the last six weeks I have been receiving a message on my Desktop telling me to Activate windows.When I go so Settings>System and try to activate Windows, I get, after a long wait, a...
  7. How do i change my lock screen image?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i change my lock screen image?: I have a user account. I had changed my lock screen image so many time, but still it shows the windows wallpapers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-lock-screen-image/62d2eafa-564f-41fb-9a1f-3ec742decf14
  8. How do I re-image Windows 11 locked by BitLocker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I re-image Windows 11 locked by BitLocker?: I just bought a new HP laptop. It has a SSD and a hard drive. I upgraded it to Windows 11. It accepted a new account @outlook.com using a pin number and does not appear to have created an Outlook account.Window updates occurred a couple of days later, which my wife said...
  9. Re-locking a drive with BitLocker

Re-locking a drive with BitLocker: I have a data drive with all the contents encrypted with Bitlocker not the system drive. The OS is Windows 11.When I first boot my computer, the drive is password protected and I see the "lock" icon over the drive in the File Manager. I need to enter the password to access...
  10. Re-locking a drive with BitLocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-locking a drive with BitLocker: I have a data drive with all the contents encrypted with Bitlocker not the system drive. The OS is Windows 11.When I first boot my computer, the drive is password protected and I see the "lock" icon over the drive in the File Manager. I need to enter the password to access...