Windows 10: How do I reactivate Windows 10 after a MOBO change if I originally got it from a free upgrade?

Discus and support How do I reactivate Windows 10 after a MOBO change if I originally got it from a free upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello there. There's no real need to explain much more than the title but this weekend I will be upgrading my motherboard and CPU but I didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Gabriel E., Jul 30, 2020.

1. How do I reactivate Windows 10 after a MOBO change if I originally got it from a free upgrade?

Hello there.

There's no real need to explain much more than the title but this weekend I will be upgrading my motherboard and CPU but I didn't consider how I would be reactivating windows. The copy I'm using currently I got through the free upgrade offered a while backI'm not sure if that's still an option? so I don't have a product key and I don't remember ever receiving something in my email resembling it.

My question is, after swapping my motherboard, how do I make sure Windows 10 remains activated or, at the very least, how do I easily reactivate it?

:)

Gabriel E., Jul 30, 2020

2. Windows 10 pro re-activation after the cpu and mobo change

Hi,

For reactivating your Windows 10 after a hardware change, you can follow the steps provided on this
    article.

Let us know the outcome.

Gerardo Aqu, Jul 30, 2020
  3. antonrr90 Win User
    Windows 10 pro re-activation after the cpu and mobo change

I'm going to be going through something similar, do you have a link to the step-by-step for deactivating the OS and reactivating it on the upgraded device? And all I am changing is the Mobo, CPU and memory, the original boot drive is still going to be
    used. Do you recommend a fresh install, or can I still boot from the drive as it is after the upgrade? Windows used to just recognize the change in the system, but not sure how it does this now days. Thanks.

antonrr90, Jul 30, 2020
  4. How do I reactivate Windows 10 after a MOBO change if I originally got it from a free upgrade?

Windows 10 expiring, even after I got the free upgrade?

Hello Sarah,

Reactivation of Windows 10 is required whenever there's a hardware change done. Since you replaced your internal storage device, we'll need to reactivate your computer to update your digital license. Since you upgraded to Windows 10 for free, your current
    license will be converted into a digital license (previously called digital entitlement). A digital license is a method of activating Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key. For the steps on how to reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware
    change, you can refer to these support articles:

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Devlin Sco, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

How do I reactivate Windows 10 after a MOBO change if I originally got it from a free upgrade?

1. How do I reactivate Windows 10 after a MOBO change if I originally got it from a free upgrade? - Similar Threads - reactivate MOBO change

2. Cant reactivate windows after mobo change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cant reactivate windows after mobo change: i changed mobos recently and cant reactivate windows. i tried all the troubleshooting techniques online and these forums. i dont have the option to see what product key is tied to my account. im not sure if my digital key is tied to my ms account. i purchased win10 from ms...
  3. Cant reactivate windows after mobo change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant reactivate windows after mobo change: i changed mobos recently and cant reactivate windows. i tried all the troubleshooting techniques online and these forums. i dont have the option to see what product key is tied to my account. im not sure if my digital key is tied to my ms account. i purchased win10 from ms...
  4. Cant reactivate windows after mobo change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows reactivation after mobo change

Windows reactivation after mobo change: Hello, I had a Windows 10 Pro licence before, but the mobo stopped functioning. I've changed my mobo and also the processor. It wants me to reactivate the Windows but it won't recognize the older key. Is there a way to transfer the key from the malfunctioning mobo to the new...
  6. How can I reactivate in Windows 10 on another computer, I got activation for free from...

How can I reactivate in Windows 10 on another computer, I got activation for free from...: In 2018 I had Windows 8.1 pirated, then I updated Windows 10 about licensing for free. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reactivate-in-windows-10-on-another/86a26fff-31a9-42c0-aa2f-32629f5c8d46
  7. I accidently got a free windows upgrade how do I downgrade

I accidently got a free windows upgrade how do I downgrade: So about a few months ago I upgraded my ram in my laptop for school so I can multitask. Windows did what windows does and asked for my product key after the upgrade so I get the one off the bottom of the laptop Windows 10 Home. Windows said it had to update so I let it do its...
  8. Reactivating Windows 10 after changing hardware (Windows 10 free upgrade)

Reactivating Windows 10 after changing hardware (Windows 10 free upgrade): Hello, Just today, I've upgraded my hardware, changed my motherboard, CPU and GPU. It was all fine until I got the "Activate Windows" on the side, I've tried all the troubleshooting I could find: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12440/windows-10-activate...
  9. Win 10 reactivation after mobo change

Win 10 reactivation after mobo change: Last week I upgraded my cpu and mobo, and as a result lost my windows 10 license key. I called support and they told me I needed my product key for them to help me which is unhelpful because I don't have my product key. I was under the impression they would be able to go into...
  10. Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change

Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change: I had a Windows 8.1 license, which I upgraded into Windows 10 when Microsoft was providing the possibility. However, I'd like to do a hardware update soon (motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM. SSD drives will remain the same). Will I be able to re-activate my Windows 10 license? 83877