Windows 10: How do I Reactivate Windows 10 After upgrading my Motherboard when the Desktop I purchased...

Discus and support How do I Reactivate Windows 10 After upgrading my Motherboard when the Desktop I purchased... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a custom built Desktop from a reputable Ebay seller just over a year ago which had a legitimate copy of Windows 10 apparently attached to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DarkLucky444, Oct 3, 2019.

1. How do I Reactivate Windows 10 After upgrading my Motherboard when the Desktop I purchased...

I purchased a custom built Desktop from a reputable Ebay seller just over a year ago which had a legitimate copy of Windows 10 apparently attached to the motherboard, but without thinking about what it would mean to Windows, I recently upgraded to a motherboard to better suit a new GPU and case. I do still have the original motherboard on hand if this is any help in identifying the license key, but I cannot seem to hunt down the original seller, and doubt they'd have the capacity to recover the key for me.

What are my options? I am a longtime Windows patron and am not in a place financially to drop sixty bucks again on Windows 10 after only a year of using the copy I feel I purchased in legitimacy when I bought the machine. So far the two phone agents are not being cooperative, and I would not be comfortable trying to find a way to jerry-rig away the 'Activate Windows' watermark that is staining my desktop and all my programs. At this point all I can think of doing is trying to reach someone a little higher up via the forums here.

Thanks so much to anyone willing to help.

Sincerely, Duncan

:)

DarkLucky444, Oct 3, 2019

2. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would happen if I use the Remove PC option in the list of devices in my Microsoft Account? Is there a way to do a remote wipe from the Microsoft account with Find My Device?

Keith Weisshar, Oct 3, 2019
  3. mshimala Win User
    Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Cyred771 Win User

How do I Reactivate Windows 10 After upgrading my Motherboard when the Desktop I purchased...

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change.

I purchased Windows 8 and upgraded for free to Windows 10 when I still had my old motherboard. Now it doesn't let me reactivate it.

I followed these steps:

• Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. You must be signed in as an administrator.
    • The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

After that I just get this message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license
    on this device or try again later.

But I am signed in with my only microsoft account and when I sign in to Microsoft - Official Home Page and look at my account I can see my PC's name together with my old motherboard name as a device.

Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 now or what am I supposed to do?

Cyred771, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

How do I Reactivate Windows 10 After upgrading my Motherboard when the Desktop I purchased...

1. How do I Reactivate Windows 10 After upgrading my Motherboard when the Desktop I purchased... - Similar Threads - Reactivate upgrading Motherboard

2. How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards: My original retail key was for Windows 7 Pro but has upgraded to 11 since then. Currently running Windows 10 Pro since 2015 with my original PC build. Upgraded the motherboard to support Windows 11, and now Windows wants me to Activate Windows. Is there any way to get the...
  3. How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards: My original retail key was for Windows 7 Pro but has upgraded to 11 since then. Currently running Windows 10 Pro since 2015 with my original PC build. Upgraded the motherboard to support Windows 11, and now Windows wants me to Activate Windows. Is there any way to get the...
  4. How do I reactivate Windows after swapping motherboards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. After changing my motherboard, how can I reactivate windows?

After changing my motherboard, how can I reactivate windows?: Recently I had to change my motherboard since the previous one couldnt connect to the internet. Because of this I couldn't sign in to microsoft in order to transfer my initial activation key.Is there any other way to use my old activation code without having to buy another...
  6. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  7. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  8. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

9. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the...
  10. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the old motherboard and I don't have the code number. Activation says the code shown under system settings is not valid. Can I...