Windows 10: how do I really block certain websites?

Discus and support how do I really block certain websites? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Apparently, Windows 10 does not honor the hosts file, so I'm a bit confused as to how to block access to certain sites (specifically, I want to block... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by unifex, Feb 5, 2021.

1. unifex Win User

how do I really block certain websites?

Apparently, Windows 10 does not honor the hosts file, so I'm a bit confused as to how to block access to certain sites (specifically, I want to block YouTube on the computer that kids are using for online school classes, but the question is general, not about the specific site).

From my previous experience, I simply added a line to the hosts file "127.0.0.1 youtube.com", but it appears that this has no effect on whether youtube can be reached by either Firefox or Opera (the latter was recently discovered by the kids as having a "cool" gaming skin).

Another possibility is to block the site using the firewall (ESET in my case). But I'm confused as why won't the host file be enough. Any ideas?

:)

unifex, Feb 5, 2021
  2. copiman Win User

How to Block Websites

I have googled a bit and found software that can be used to block websites on a computer. I also found another way by using Windows which I would prefer. My problem is I must be doing something wrong. Here is the site that has the steps.
    How to block websites | PCWorld

Here is what happens when I perform step 6. I am the administrator by the way.

how do I really block certain websites? [​IMG]

Any ideas on how to make this work?

copiman, Feb 5, 2021
  3. copiman Win User
    How to Block Websites

Sorry everyone but I have done everything suggested and it still does not block the website.

copiman, Feb 5, 2021
  4. CJCerny Win User

Redirect certain webpages to kittens

Don't know about the kitten thing, but I do know that blocking "all NSFW" websites is gonna require a service/software that is updated regularly. This can either be done with software or with a router that supports such a feature, since the list of NSFW websites is constantly changing. Suggest you start with the option for family friendly surfing that is included as part of Windows Live Essentials.

CJCerny, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

1. how do I really block certain websites? - Similar Threads - really block certain

2. Windows Firewall is Block a WEBSITE. Not a Program... a WEBSITE. How Do I Unblock the WEBSITE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewall is Block a WEBSITE. Not a Program... a WEBSITE. How Do I Unblock the WEBSITE?: I'm sick and tired of finding articles about how to allow Google Chrome through the firewall. That's already been done. But there is a SPECIFIC WEBSITE that I know for a fact is safe because I've both used it for years and have no problem being on it on other computers that I...
  3. Windows Firewall is Block a WEBSITE. Not a Program... a WEBSITE. How Do I Unblock the WEBSITE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Firewall is Block a WEBSITE. Not a Program... a WEBSITE. How Do I Unblock the WEBSITE?: I'm sick and tired of finding articles about how to allow Google Chrome through the firewall. That's already been done. But there is a SPECIFIC WEBSITE that I know for a fact is safe because I've both used it for years and have no problem being on it on other computers that I...
  4. Windows Firewall is Block a WEBSITE. Not a Program... a WEBSITE. How Do I Unblock the WEBSITE?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. windows defender BLOCKING CERTAIN WEBSITES

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender BLOCKING CERTAIN WEBSITES: hello;I HAVE AN HP Z440 WORKSTATION THAT AFTER THE LAST WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE IS BLOCKING CERTAIN GOOD WEBSITES SUCN AS ADOBE, ETC. HOW DO I FIX THIS?...
  6. How do i block a website ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i block a website ?: I've tried the notepad method but the the host file doesn't show up, is there an alternative? Please help! submitted by /u/--PlusUltra-- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fdhz4i/how_do_i_block_a_website/
  7. how do I block users from seeing certain websites?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how do I block users from seeing certain websites?: this would be on a computer that I don't have admin rights too. is their some way to stop a user from accessing certain websites? 126061
  8. How do I unblock a blocked website?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I unblock a blocked website?: This is a website that I have been using for several years. Now, after I sign on, when I try to get to the page I need, it says that the webpage is blocked. No, I do not have popups blocked....
  9. HOW DO I BLOCK WEBSITES

HOW DO I BLOCK WEBSITES: Hello can anyone please tell me how to block gambling websites I would like my partner to stop playing bingo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-block-websites/c4d30f13-5e57-4eb3-9b58-f649b6546cc6"
  10. how do I block a incoming website?

how do I block a incoming website?: I get obnoxious popups in the lower right corner of my screen from www.laptopmag.com. I there a way to block this site? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-do-i-block-a-incoming-website/a43dd27e-a806-419f-99bf-d7828306fd19"