Windows 10: How Do I Reanimate an External 2.5" HDD (Advanced Troubleshooting)

Discus and support How Do I Reanimate an External 2.5" HDD (Advanced Troubleshooting) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a dying Seagate ST1000LM024 external 1TB SATA drive which is normally attached to a small Win 7 media server. I'm trying to troubleshoot it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by m0nkey, Jul 9, 2020.

1. m0nkey Win User

How Do I Reanimate an External 2.5" HDD (Advanced Troubleshooting)

I have a dying Seagate ST1000LM024 external 1TB SATA drive which is normally attached to a small Win 7 media server. I'm trying to troubleshoot it from a more easily accessible Win 10 PC, to rescue files before recycling the drive.

After the drive stopped working in its original enclosure, I moved it to another one. While it resumed working, it turned out that some of the files in the folder the drive head was probably in when it stopped working had been corrupted -- probably as a result of some impact damage it took after it stopped working. I ran chkdsk with all the repair flags, but while it identified and repaired indeed many files in the folder, it was slooooooooooow. Its counter stuck at around 10% for a week while it worked its way through about 12.500 of 25.000 files. It was working, but so slow that I lost my patience and terminated chkdsk. Bad, bad decision.

The drive has been inaccessible since. I suspect the MBR or something on that level may have been corrupted, or maybe the drive was already half-way broken and the intensive chkdsk activity just killed it off. It has once or twice appeared as an (inaccessible) Local Disk, while in Disk Management it appeared as a RAW drive. Setting it to active, I guess I was hoping it would stabilize the drive, it disappeared and has not returned since.

It is now in a Sabrent enclosure (which in the properties is identified as a SCSI device). The enclosure is detected every time, but the hdd inside it is not. (Note: other SATA drives work without any issues in the enclosure.) When HDD management or repair software of any kind is started, that software will freeze until the enclosure is turned off. This includes Disk Management. I tried HDD Regenerator on a bootable flash drive, but the entire OS froze whenever the enclosure was turned on.

So. I have drive which doesn't appear anymore by connecting it in the usual manner, it doesn't appear in Disk Management, or as an unlisted drive in any software and which freezes any software which I have tried to analyse it.

I would guess that If I'm going to get back in, it'll require some software capable of probing an USB connection even though the device connected to it is malfunctioning.

I would appreciate some guidance.

:)

m0nkey, Jul 9, 2020

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jul 9, 2020
  3. How to install Windows 10 on external HDD

Hello,

I have an external HDD. I want to install Windows 10 Enterprise which I have purchased recently.

Please guide me, if possible step by step on how to install Windows 10 on external HDD.

Thanks,

Siddarth Hegde

SidTheGooner, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

1. How Do I Reanimate an External 2.5" HDD (Advanced Troubleshooting) - Similar Threads - Reanimate External HDD

2. How do I recover storage on a External HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover storage on a External HDD?: I did a experiment on a HDD. But it failed so I formatted the Hard Drive. It had 5 TB of storage and went down to GB. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-storage-on-a-external-hdd/35eacf98-1ff5-4afb-9801-702f2687054a
  3. How do I recover storage on a External HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I recover storage on a External HDD?: I did a experiment on a HDD. But it failed so I formatted the Hard Drive. It had 5 TB of storage and went down to GB. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-storage-on-a-external-hdd/35eacf98-1ff5-4afb-9801-702f2687054a
  4. How do I move os from hdd to m.2?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I move os from hdd to m.2?: I want to move os from hdd to m.2 to make it faster. https://imgur.com/gallery/Te5fjOd This is just a link if this help at all. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/24jt [link] [comments]...
  5. No Troubleshoot Option in Advanced Setup!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Troubleshoot Option in Advanced Setup!: I have a HP Pavilion Notebook with Windows 10 Enterprise. The Troubleshoot Option that should be under the 'Advanced Startup' Option is missing. Have tried multiple methods of getting to "Advanced Startup" display including Safe mode, 'shutdown /r /o', etc., but all result...
  6. No advanced options in troubleshoot settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No advanced options in troubleshoot settings.: I installed Xubuntu but would now like to remove it. I hit restart while holding the shift key but when I click on troubleshoot there is only Startup Settings. Why? And how do I fix this submitted by /u/GuidonBedon [link] [comments]...
  7. Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs?: Hi. I have installed a game to an external HDD via the Windows Store on my laptop. I want to then plug the HDD into my desktop and play the game there off the same external HDD. Using the same Microsoft account, is the laptop-installed game desktop playable, and is...
  8. How do i prevent external HDD to go in sleep in windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i prevent external HDD to go in sleep in windows 10 ?: I am using windows 10 in my laptop and desktop. I am having a problem with my external HDD. Windows automatically disconnects my external HDD after 30-40 minutes. I have tried all but still it disconnects with a sound. In windows 7 all same steps worked for me but I don't...
  9. How to initialize external HDD??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to initialize external HDD??: I have a 500gb external HD USB and it has data on it that I need cause the drive doesnt not show up now. I went into my computer management and disk 1 says not initialize. When I try to initialize to GPT it says the drive is too small. Now before all this happened I had...
  10. How to initialize external HDD??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to initialize external HDD??: Since I put vmWare 10 on my laptop , my external HDD wont initialize. it says its there but when i try to initialize it tells me my drive is too small for GPT, Its 500gb. When I installed VMWare i might have had the external connected and i believe i opted for to split...