Windows 10: How do I recover/repair my storage space?

Discus and support How do I recover/repair my storage space? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I apologize if this is not in the correct forum. I have a storage space on my personal computer that consists of 3 drives. My storage space is setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dc71582, Nov 17, 2017.

1. dc71582 Win User

How do I recover/repair my storage space?

I apologize if this is not in the correct forum.

I have a storage space on my personal computer that consists of 3 drives. My storage space is setup as parity. Last night I rebooted my machine and allowed it to install new Windows Updates and this morning when I came back to my system it had rebooted and my storage space has died!

How do I recover/repair my storage space? [​IMG]

As you can see in the image, this is my current status. 2 of my 3 drives are showing this warning status and the storage space has been rendered inaccessible. I am very skeptical that both of those drives actually physically became inoperable at the same moment and I do not hear any clicking or other signs of hardware failure. I desperately want to recover the data from my storage space but I am unsure how to proceed safely and I don't want to make things worse than they already are. If I can even just bring the storage space online long enough to copy the data off to another source that would be perfectly fine.

I've tried running Repair-VirtualDisk in Powershell with admin rights but it seems the job does nothing. When I run Get-StorageJob I can see the repair op in the list and just instantly appears as "Completed".

Can anyone provide me with some guidance?

:)

dc71582, Nov 17, 2017
  2. Keith9 Win User

Windows 10 -- Resetting this PC stuck on 3% for hours

Computer went to Blue Screen of Death and would not restart. It goes to a repair sequence that does not repair. It eventually took me to a screen to troubleshoot and recover; system restore failed and the option to recover Windows 10 and keep my files
    failed. Would not restart ... just goes to a blue screen with nothing happening. Using the Windows 10 installation USB stick to attempt a reboot at least takes me to recovery options. Tried to repair Windows start up. Waiting for the outcome. My last option
    will be to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 which means losing my files (will have to reload from external storage). If I use the USB stick to do this, I will need the product key, and I have no idea how to find the product key of a computer that will
    not start.

Keith9, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Storage Spaces Drive Inaccessible

My Windows 10 server auto updated, restarted, and my storage pool stopped working.

It shows up in Storage Spaces - all drives green and has about 3TBs of empty space - but the drive itself is inaccessible. I've tried PowerShell commands to Repair-VirtualDisk and such to no avail (it says completed but changes nothing).

ReclaiMe sees the files but I can't recover them either.

I am desperate to recover these files. Lots of old family photos there. Everything shows up green in Storage Spaces, it just can't/won't load. I even moved it to a different Windows 10 computer - same issue.

Jun-KaiTeoh, Nov 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, could you state what these were please? (You could post a screenshot of your Update History e.g.).

If your PC has upgraded to 1709, you might have some luck by going back to the previous build. But I'd emphasise that's no more than a thought. I've not noted a post related to storage space for some time, but there may have been...

Do you have a full backup?

I don't know if this is relevant but indicates changes in this area:
    Microsoft to remove full ReFS support from Windows 10 Pro, push Workstation SKU | Ars Technica UK
    Microsoft removes ReFS file system create option from Windows 10 Pro - gHacks Tech News

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  5. Hi, please run the following commands and paste result here:

get-storagepool -isprimordial 0
    get-storagepool -isprimordial 0 | get-physicaldisk
    get-storagepool -isprimordial 0 | get-virtualdisk
    get-storagepool -isprimordial 0 | get-volume

Then run Crystal Disk Info and check SMART status of your disks. Also check Administrative Events in Event Viewer for Disk and Storage Spaces errors/warnings.

muchomurka, Nov 17, 2017
  6. dc71582 Win User
    Here is my recent update history which covers the incident. If there's another view that shows more detail / history I'm not sure how to find it in Win 10. Interestingly I'm not sure what all the 11/17 updates are about as a definitely did not knowingly update my NVidia driver. Perhaps these are the result of me attempting to restore back? Definitely
    appears that the big update was the 1709 and I noted once I was able to get back into Windows that I had more junk in my start menu and system tray per the usual MS upgrade.

Unfortunately, no, I do not have a full backup. I'd lose about a month or so worth of data so I definitely want to avoid that.

dc71582, Nov 17, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, please follow @muchmurka's post..

I've come across this: appears very similar.
    Win10 1709 Requesting - Install, Upgrade and Config - Windows 10 Help Forums
    - do you happen to know if you were using this file system?

I'd suggest you research any other instances of people using storage space updating to
    or
    the Fall Creator's build
    or
    the FCU

Windows 10 Fall Creators update to remove ReFS creation ability - Microsoft Community

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ll-creators-up

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  8. How do I recover/repair my storage space?

I tested upgrade v1511 -> v1709 with two Parity virtual disks, formatted NTFS and even ReFS (yes, it is possible to create ReFS volume on Parity space but it is complicated and unsupported in any way). Both volumes survived without problems, data are still acessible.

Status before upgrade:

Status after upgrade:

So possible causes are:
    - upgrade installed improper disk controller driver; installing of right driver or reverting back to older build may solve the problem
    - upgrade changed physical disk health evaluation method; reverting back may help (but disks probably are not OK)
    - both disks really failed during upgrade (or one failed before and one during upgrade); no simple way to recover data.

The last option is to ask some company specialized in (expensive) data recovery; but before it please give us some info as I wrote before.

@dalchina: upgrading (healthy) pool is an option, not necessary to do it.

muchomurka, Nov 17, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    @muchomurka - given the features deprecated (my post above) (and your comments) do you think it's reasonable that what is being experienced is as a result of the upgrade, and if so, would reverting to 1703 allow access to the disk pool again?

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  10. dc71582 Win User
    Here is the output from the PS commands:

Here is the info on the 3 disks from Crystal Disk:

I checked the event viewer for errors and there are nearly 259 just from 11/16 through today but nothing jumps out at me as being necessarily storage related.

dc71582, Nov 17, 2017
  11. dc71582 Win User
    Here is my current Storage Spaces view:

I believe this is unchanged from yesterday.

I find it interesting that 2 of the 3 disks in the pool appear to have errors in Storage Spaces but only 1 of those appears to have errors in Crystal Disk Info.

dc71582, Nov 17, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hard disk sentinel (trial) gives a very clear indication.

(I would guess anyone using storage space needs to run a disk status monitor)

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  13. How do I recover/repair my storage space?

Yes, it is odd. What about event viewer?

@dalchina: I am not sure, unfortunately.

Apologies, I have to leave, will be back later.

muchomurka, Nov 17, 2017
  14. dc71582 Win User
    Hard disk sentinel appears to tell the same story as Crystal:

The other two disks in the pool are "PERFECT" according to HDS.

dc71582, Nov 17, 2017
  15. dc71582 Win User
    I'm afraid I'm not sure what to look for in Event Viewer. I don't see anything that is drawing my attention as being storage pool related but there is, I think, a lot of other noise in here.

dc71582, Nov 17, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I recover/repair my storage space? - Similar Threads - recover repair storage

2. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?: I have 4X 4TB drives configured as RAID 1 mirroring. I assumed that meant that a copy of the data was also stored on the other drives since only 8TB of the 16TB is available. I ID'd the failing drive and replaced it. I'm unable to remove the drive from the pool even though...
  3. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?: I have 4X 4TB drives configured as RAID 1 mirroring. I assumed that meant that a copy of the data was also stored on the other drives since only 8TB of the 16TB is available. I ID'd the failing drive and replaced it. I'm unable to remove the drive from the pool even though...
  4. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I recover storage on a External HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover storage on a External HDD?: I did a experiment on a HDD. But it failed so I formatted the Hard Drive. It had 5 TB of storage and went down to GB. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-storage-on-a-external-hdd/35eacf98-1ff5-4afb-9801-702f2687054a
  6. How do I recover storage on a External HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I recover storage on a External HDD?: I did a experiment on a HDD. But it failed so I formatted the Hard Drive. It had 5 TB of storage and went down to GB. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-storage-on-a-external-hdd/35eacf98-1ff5-4afb-9801-702f2687054a
  7. Storage Spaces Parity Repair?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Parity Repair?: Hi: I'm a newbie here... using an OWC Thunderbay 6 DAS with Thunderbolt 3 for video/photo files using (Win 10 Home) Storage Spaces for the past 6 weeks without problems. Using Parity option in Storage Spaces to emulate RAID 5 protection. Today, got Parity Error in Manage...
  8. how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space?

how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space?: I want to download star wars battlefront 2 but I don't have enough space. My computer has a d:data thing how do I use that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-switch-my-storage-usage-space-to-data-d/db07b75a-5715-490b-a95d-655f9a79dc10
  9. how do i creat storage space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i creat storage space: I not very good withcomputer it keeps tellingme I am low on storage space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-creat-storage-space/4cf6cc07-b0bd-4f85-8f2d-009009577a28"
  10. How to recover a volume accidentally delete from Storage Spaces

How to recover a volume accidentally delete from Storage Spaces: Need urgent help here: 1. I have a Mass Storage Space created and it included 3 disks 2. In Disk Manager, I accidentally deleted the volume on the storage space 3. The files are all there on the three disk as in the Storage Space management page the disks are all showing...