Windows 10: How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts?

Discus and support How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; A lot of my desktop icons for shortcuts to internet pages are now all the same and appear as a globe. Some other icons on my desktop for shortcuts to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by IndianaConly, Jan 2, 2019.

1. How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts?

A lot of my desktop icons for shortcuts to internet pages are now all the same and appear as a globe. Some other icons on my desktop for shortcuts to programme and some logins appear OK and show the correct picture for the app or program. All of the shortcuts work properly and take me to the right page or program it is just that the picture is now the same globe for a large number of the shortcuts.

Can anyone advise how I can get the correct website icons back on the shortcuts?

:)

IndianaConly, Jan 2, 2019
  2. MZig Win User

Icons for webpage shortcuts missing from Start Menu tiles after install of Windows 10 Build 10586.420

Subsequent Windows updates have broken the process I outlined above. After several weeks of functioning properly, my start menu tiles for webpage shortcuts reverted to the default Chrome icon once again after subsequent updates were installed.
    After searching the web once more, found another solution that, when combined with the original technique, seems to be working (when using Chrome as your Browser), at least for now:

• Open Chrome and go to the webpage for which you want to create a Start Menu tile. Drag the upper left corner of the url onto your desktop to create a shortcut. This is the shortcut you will be using for your Start Menu.
    • To get Chrome to create a folder with the appropriate icon, create another shortcut using the Chrome menu: From the Chrome customization menu on the same webpage (the 3 vertical dots in upper right hand corner), click on “More Tools” then “Add to
      Desktop” to create a second shortcut. This step will create a folder with the correct icon in the following location: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Applications\%shortcutfolder%. The name of the %shortcutfolder% may
      be a long string of letters with nothing identifiable to the shortcut. Just open the most recently created folder and you should see the icon for the shortcut you just created. Copy the path to this folder - you will need it later.
    • You should now have two shortcuts on your desktop. The first one (from step 1 above) will probably have the default Chrome icon and the second (from step 2 above) will have the correct icon.
      Delete the second shortcut even though it looks right. If you try to pin this one to the Start Menu, it will NOT display properly as a tile! Even though everything looks good and the icon is pointing to the right file, it will not work after
      you pin it to the Start Menu tile.
    • Take the first shortcut you created in step 1 (with the incorrect icon) and drag it (or copy) to: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    • Right click on the shortcut you just copied and go to “Properties”. Click on “Change Icon” and then “Browse”. Browse to the folder Chrome created for you in step 2 and click on the appropriate icon file: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User
      Data\Default\Web Applications\%shortcutFolder%. Click on “Apply” or “OK”.
    • You should now see your new shortcut listed under your Start Menu. Right click on it and pin it to the Start Menu. Your tile should now display with the correct icon.
    A really frustrating issue – hope this solution works for others.

MZig, Jan 2, 2019
  3. webpage shortcut Windows 10

I was able to do all these things that you explained with W7 and prior versions but not with windows 10. Only option I get when I right click on a webpage is "select all" and "print". Sure I can right click on the desktop and paste a url but that's not what
    I want.

Is there other way to do this?

whynotme_w10, Jan 2, 2019
  4. How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts?

webpage shortcut Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps below to create shortcuts of websites on the Desktop:

• When you are viewing a website, right click on the web page and select the Create Shortcut option. The shortcut will be placed on the Desktop.
    • You can also right clcik the Desktop and select New/Shortcut. In the Location Box, paste the URL to the website.
    • Click Next and Name the shortcut and Click Finish.
    • You can also drag the Icon at the left end of the Address Bar and drop it on the Desktop, when viewing a website to create a shortcut.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts?

1. How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts? - Similar Threads - recover webpage icon

2. Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :: i need help. i messed around with the order of my SATA cables in my pc when it was off, turned it back on this morning and my art file turned into an internet shortcut.please i cannot lose this file it means a lot to...
  3. Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :: i need help. i messed around with the order of my SATA cables in my pc when it was off, turned it back on this morning and my art file turned into an internet shortcut.please i cannot lose this file it means a lot to...
  4. Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :: This folder with images converted to internet shortcut, can someone tell me how I can recover all the images I saved in this folder? The folder is saved on an external hard drive. Thank you!...
  6. Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder with photos converted to internet shortcut, how I do I recover all my images :: This folder with images converted to internet shortcut, can someone tell me how I can recover all the images I saved in this folder? The folder is saved on an external hard drive. Thank you!...
  7. How can I change the ICON to a webpage shortcut on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change the ICON to a webpage shortcut on my desktop?: For YEARS I have easily created webpage shortcuts on my desktop by simply dragging the URL to the desktop, and then selected a cute ICON from many downloaded ICO files that helps me quickly visit that website. I was changing some default programs on my WIN10 desktop, and...
  8. How do I recover missing shortcuts on my desktop?

How do I recover missing shortcuts on my desktop?: How do I recover missing shortcuts on my desktop? I am using Windows 10. * Moved from IE10/other * Original title: shortcut on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-missing-shortcuts-on-my-desktop/f2c17288-86b7-4f84-93ee-4e1790557c68
  9. in windows 10 how do put a shortcut to a webpage. The webpage was saved in my...

in windows 10 how do put a shortcut to a webpage. The webpage was saved in my...: How do I put a shortcut to a webpage on my desktop. the web address in in my bookmarks. When I try to highlight the web address and drag it to the desktop. The message is access denied...
  10. I need to recover my desktop icons. How do I do this?

I need to recover my desktop icons. How do I do this?: I need to recover my desktop icons haven't used my computer in a long while and they have disappeared off the screen. Can someone help me?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. retrieve web site icon