Windows 10: How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows?

Discus and support How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; On Linux I can easily change the ownership of a folder/file via this command chown -R user1 some_folder but what is the equivalent method on Windows?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/unix21311, Nov 24, 2020.

1. How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows?

On Linux I can easily change the ownership of a folder/file via this command chown -R user1 some_folder but what is the equivalent method on Windows?

submitted by /u/unix21311
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/unix21311, Nov 24, 2020
  2. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Nov 24, 2020
  3. how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 24, 2020
  4. How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows?

cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows?

1. How do I recursively change file permissions on Windows? - Similar Threads - recursively change file

2. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I wanted to know where a game of mine was installed but after I knew where it was installed i wanted to change it back but now i dont know what the...
  3. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I wanted to know where a game of mine was installed but after I knew where it was installed i wanted to change it back but now i dont know what the...
  4. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I was trying to add a folder and then a file inside that new folder which is supposed to be named Formats. I was trying to add this for a compressed folder...
  6. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I was trying to add a folder and then a file inside that new folder which is supposed to be named Formats. I was trying to add this for a compressed folder...
  7. How do I change ownership and add user recursively?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change ownership and add user recursively?: [ATTACH] So I ran this command "icacls test /setowner test /t" (note that "test" is my user account) to change the ownership recursively to all the folders/files. While this has worked, my "test" user account has not been added to all files/folders. If I right click on...
  8. recursively copy files

recursively copy files: I was wondering if there was a way to recursively copy files with windows for example I have an Adobe CD or DVD and there is a folder of fonts. Manually copying them is very tedious. so I was wondering if there was a way to do this with a batch file or shell script...
  9. How do I change administrator permissions?

How do I change administrator permissions?: I am unable to delete files. Error message says to contact the administrator. I am the administrator, owner and sole user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-administrator-permissions/3535f0d4-0c0b-4af3-ad87-c1f49ff7b195"
  10. How do I get Permission change files

How do I get Permission change files: I'm trying to un-install Microsoft Edge so I can re-install it (because it's not working properly so I want to start over) but everytime I try to delete it, it says I need permission but the problem is when I go to properties and click security, it already says the...