Windows 10: How do I reduce tabs in Chrome but save the sites for later reference

Discus and support How do I reduce tabs in Chrome but save the sites for later reference in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; You can see 4 tabs in screenshot with one active where the green arrow is pointing. The others three tabs are open but hibernated and do not use any... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Nisko, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Callender Win User

How do I reduce tabs in Chrome but save the sites for later reference

You can see 4 tabs in screenshot with one active where the green arrow is pointing. The others three tabs are open but hibernated and do not use any memory as shown by Vivaldi (Chrome) Task Manager. Only the active tab shows as in the red box. The other three tabs will appear in task manager if clicked on then they will use memory.

Callender, Mar 22, 2018
  2. Nisko Win User

I guess what threw me is that you started off by saying "I find this interesting." Those words made me think that what you saw was unexpected. My understanding is that is what Vivaldi does. Is my understanding correct? Thank you.

Nisko, Mar 22, 2018
  3. Callender Win User
    Correct. It was something new to me. I didn't know about hibernating tabs with zero memory usage previously. I had assumed that even with tabs hibernated that there would be some memory usage.

Callender, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Weird thing is, I can't get it to work in all forks of Chromium!
    It must have something to do with the default browser or the Chrome profile, or other!

In Dev Chromium, I have to discard tabs manually at chrome://discards/

How do I reduce tabs in Chrome but save the sites for later reference [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 23, 2018
  5. Nisko Win User
    Please let me know if you figure this one out as I'm interested in this option. I'd pursue it my self except that I can't due to a physical pain which is infringing on my computer time.

Nisko, Mar 23, 2018
  6. Callender Win User
    All the info is there in the screenshot that Edwin posted.

You just open a new tab and type chrome://discards

In the open window discard any tabs where you want to stop them from using memory. They will reload if you click on the tab.

Callender, Mar 23, 2018
  7. Callender Win User
    Callender, Mar 24, 2018
  8. Edwin New Member

Cent Browser has an option to purge memory of idle/unfocused tabs at intervals...

Edwin, Mar 24, 2018
  9. Nisko Win User
    I installed The Great Suspender while the new Chrome Task Manager was running. Now I seem to have lost many (or all) of my tabs. How do I uninstall the Task Manager (Vivaldi, I think) so I can individually try The Great Suspender and Cent Browser? Also, how do I retrieve my missing tabs? Thank you...

Edit: I uninstalled Vivaldi Task Manager. Now I have The Great Suspender running. I had suspended all my tabs as an experiment - but, now, I clicked on Unsuspend All Tabs but they don't reappear. Can you tell me how to retrieve them, please?

Nisko, Mar 24, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    Vivaldi Task Manager is built into Vivaldi Browser - it's not for Chrome.
    Well I've never tried to suspend all tabs. I would leave one running at least.

Anyway try session management that should enable you to restore tabs from current or previous session.

Click Icon > Settings > Session Management > Reload

As for individual suspended tabs. They should still be visible and reload when clicked on.

Configure settings to your own preference. I disabled auto suspend.

Callender, Mar 24, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    You should be able to install Cent browser without uninstalling anything and it should work but you could just use and test the portable version.

I've never used it myself.

Callender, Mar 24, 2018
  12. Callender Win User
    Here's what I see. Explanation. All tabs suspended - can restore tab via clicking on it or right click on page and use context menu option. Use session management to restore session with all tabs active.
    [youtube]DlPfSaVIyWA[/youtube]

Callender, Mar 24, 2018
  13. Nisko Win User

I seem to have lost most of my tabs. Under "Recent Sessions", there is nothing to reload. Can you help?

Nisko, Mar 25, 2018
  14. Edwin New Member
    WHOA!!! That's one helluva URL!!!

Edwin, Mar 25, 2018
  15. Callender Win User
    Yes - I didn't post it like that.

Try Ctrl+Shift+T to restore tabs.

Callender, Mar 25, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I reduce tabs in Chrome but save the sites for later reference - Similar Threads - reduce tabs Chrome

2. how do i find someone's password that they saved on my computer for a site

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do i find someone's password that they saved on my computer for a site: how do i find someone's password that they saved on my computer for a site https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-someones-password-that-they-saved-on/e08a778b-b1d2-4727-80ae-4d1c140aff0b
  3. how do i find someone's password that they saved on my computer for a site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i find someone's password that they saved on my computer for a site: how do i find someone's password that they saved on my computer for a site https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-someones-password-that-they-saved-on/e08a778b-b1d2-4727-80ae-4d1c140aff0b
  4. how do i find someone's password that they saved on my computer for a site

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I reduce the Google Chrome CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I reduce the Google Chrome CPU usage: How can I reduce the Google Chrome CPU usage [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reduce-the-google-chrome-cpu-usage/f304e122-4875-4f36-a353-ef27f15bc587
  6. how to do i reduce the size of this thing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to do i reduce the size of this thing?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/itzkitten [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kbmy58/how_to_do_i_reduce_the_size_of_this_thing/
  7. Too many chrome tabs how do I stop this madness

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Too many chrome tabs how do I stop this madness: I open one chrom tab but in task manager it says I have 32 or so open. How do I close these past tabs? Why are there so many??? submitted by /u/CzarTyr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fg8khy/too_many_chrome_tabs_how_do_i_stop_this_madness/
  8. How do I reduce winkles in faces

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I reduce winkles in faces: How do I reduce winkles in faces. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reduce-winkles-in-faces/cc48407a-3b33-408f-96f7-9789f9a1f42a
  9. Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites: I think I’m seriously going crazy with this problem. Google Chrome keeps opening new tab with some spam sites (mostly https://go.mobiforth.com) but also some other weird stuff. I searched around the web and I feel like I tried almost every possible solution that I found, but...
  10. Google Chrome Reducing power consumption for background tabs

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome Reducing power consumption for background tabs: Efficient power usage is an important aspect of speed, one of Chrome’s key pillars. To prolong battery life, Chrome should minimize power impact from things users can’t see. This includes background tabs, which consume a third of Chrome's power usage on desktop. Starting in...