Windows 10: How do I relocate user folder to C drive?

Discus and support How do I relocate user folder to C drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi,Several times I have tried to upgrade my pc to the newest windows 10 version without success. After searching on the internet what the problem might... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SamuelVo, May 24, 2021.

1. SamuelVo Win User

How do I relocate user folder to C drive?

Hi,Several times I have tried to upgrade my pc to the newest windows 10 version without success. After searching on the internet what the problem might be, I found that the problem occurs because my user profile folder is located in my D drive Windows 10 Update Fails with error 0x8007001F - 0x3000D - Microsoft Community. How do I safely relocate

:)

SamuelVo, May 24, 2021

2. Relocate user folders

Running Windows 10. I have 4 users using this desktop. I would like to relocate the user document folders to another drive. I've tried to put a folder named J:\Users\Steve to an external drive but it comes up J:\Documents. I would like 4 folders named
    J:\Users\Steve, J:\User\Jane, J:\Users\Dale and J:\Users\Joe. How can this be accomplished. Thanks for any suggestions.

Pappacracker, May 24, 2021
  3. Folder security after relocating user folders

Hello,

I have a C-drive (system) and a D-drive (data).

After I install Windows 10, I move user folders to my D-drive by relocating the Documents, Pictures, Videos etc. folders within Properties|Location. This seems to be an official function within Windows.

However, by using this Windows feature the security is inherited from the D-drive, so the security is wrong after the folder move. This results in all users receiving access to all folders.

Questions:

• is there an official Windows feature for moving the complete User-folder to the D-drive with a single action (instead of moving all subfolders?
    • Is there a way to keep the original security settings for the User-folders instead of inheriting them from the D-drive?

Thanks in advance,

SJW

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy]

Sjoerd-Jaap Westra, May 24, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Thema:

1. How do I relocate user folder to C drive? - Similar Threads - relocate user folder

2. How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?: I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago. This is the first laptop I have purchased and set up on my own since my parents bought and set my laptop up before I went to college. As I was setting it up, I somehow made the user folder name "thoma" i.e. "C:\Users\thoma". I need to...
  3. How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?: I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago. This is the first laptop I have purchased and set up on my own since my parents bought and set my laptop up before I went to college. As I was setting it up, I somehow made the user folder name "thoma" i.e. "C:\Users\thoma". I need to...
  4. How do I rename the folder in C:\Users ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I rename the folder in C:\Users ?: There's a folder in C:\Users with my name on it. I want to change the folder's name so that my name isn't there anymore. Everyone is able to see it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-rename-the-folder-in-cusers/13694681-86af-442a-a99e-1e109ce6e5b5
  5. Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem: I need help correcting a problem I created with the relocation of my user Desktop folder. I am new to Windows 10, and I have limited experience with Windows7. System: Lenovo M725s Windows 10 Pro, 1909 Build 18363.815 AMD Ryzen 5 Pro CPU 8 GB memory C: SSD, D: hard file I...
  6. Question: How do I relocate extension-only folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: How do I relocate extension-only folders?: Some programs use folders where they store their settings or plug-ins etc. (like i.e. GIMP). They use extension-only folders starting with a dot (".gimp-2.8"). Usually, they're stored in C:\users\%username%\ Now, I would like to relocate them to a different drive to make...
  7. should I relocate users folders to drive E: or create folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    should I relocate users folders to drive E: or create folders: Thanks to all your help, I’ve managed to clean install win 10 and rebuild all my win 7 programs on three PCs. My last task is to decide whether to mimic the win 7 setup on my big video editing machine. In its win 7 incarnation, the \users\ and \users\public folders were on...
  8. Having troubles with relocating users folders.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having troubles with relocating users folders.: Hello, I am trying to follow the 'Move Users Folders to another location' (Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials) tutorial and I cannot get my Windows system to move the folders. I watched the Video, very helpful, and noticed a mention of an "all...
  9. Relocating Users Folder

Relocating Users Folder: Does the Users folder have to be relocated to an empty drive on an existing win 10 installation, or is any local drive ok? 39109
  10. Issues with relocated Users folder

Issues with relocated Users folder: Hi everybody, I recently performed a clean install of Win 10, following the instruction of this Forum to relocate the users folder on another drive. Now, I'm having troubles with Microsoft Edge browser, and I'd like to restore it. I've followed the instrucions of this and...