Windows 10: How do I remove a drive letter from a deleted partition?

Discus and support How do I remove a drive letter from a deleted partition? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, I used DiskPart to delete an unnecessary partition from disk 0, but it still shows in my file explorer as Local Disk E:. How do i remove the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KevinPlayz, Jan 29, 2021.

1. How do I remove a drive letter from a deleted partition?

So, I used DiskPart to delete an unnecessary partition from disk 0, but it still shows in my file explorer as Local Disk E:. How do i remove the drive letter?

:)

KevinPlayz, Jan 29, 2021

2. Drive letter on OEM Partition

Microsoft is aware that previously-hidden partitions are improperly being assigned drive letters after installing the April 2018 Update. As a result, they now appear in Disk Management and File Explorer. These partitions are typically recovery partitions
    used by the Windows Recovery Environment or by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. It is not recommended that you attempt to delete or reformat these partitions as this may have adverse effects on your ability to recover Windows. Microsoft is currently working
    to address the issue in a future Windows Update, and we’ll update this thread when a solution becomes available.

(Update 5/14/18: The solution that will soon be released via Windows Update will only prevent this issue from occurring for devices that install the April 2018 Update after the solution is released. If you've already installed the April 2018 Update and are
    experiencing this issue, you'll need to follow the steps below if you want to hide these partitions.)

Although you can safely ignore these partitions, if you prefer do away with the low disk space warnings and hide the partitions so they no longer appear in File Explorer, you can do so by manually removing the partition’s assigned drive letter. To do this:

1. Select the Start button, type cmd and then right-click Command Prompt in the search results and select Run as administrator.

2. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Type list volume and press Enter.

4. Make note of the volume number for the drive letter you want to remove. For example, if the drive letter you want to remove is Drive “G”, note the volume number for Drive G.

5. Type the following command, and press Enter.

select volume <volume number>

When typing this command, in place of <volume number>, substitute the volume number you made note of in Step 4. In the example above, if the volume number for drive G is 5, you would type: select volume 5

6. Type the following command and press Enter.

remove letter=<drive letter>

When typing this command, in place of <drive letter>, substitute the drive letter you want to remove. In this example, you would type: remove letter=G

7. Close the Command Prompt window.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Drive letter on OEM Partition

This is one of the known issues with the update as Recovery partition should be hidden and is accidentally assigned a drive letter.

Right-click Start>Command Prompt(admin)

Type in the following:

diskpart

list volume

select volume 3

Replace 3 with the number of the volume which is assigned a drive letter. (In hundreds of MBs)

remove letter="G"

Replace G with the Recovery drive letter.

Don't worry, removing a drive letter would not cause any harm to your device.

Sumit-Windows Insider MVP, Jan 29, 2021
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

How do I remove a drive letter from a deleted partition?

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

How do I remove a drive letter from a deleted partition?

1. How do I remove a drive letter from a deleted partition? - Similar Threads - remove drive letter

2. Cannot delete removable drive partitions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete removable drive partitions.: I have a microSD card with too many partitions and I want to delete the partitions, when I go to delete them and click "yes" on the warning message, nothing happens. Please help!...
  3. Cannot delete removable drive partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete removable drive partitions.: I have a microSD card with too many partitions and I want to delete the partitions, when I go to delete them and click "yes" on the warning message, nothing happens. Please help!...
  4. Cannot delete removable drive partitions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I remove the letter from this drive?: A new drive appeared in my file explorer, and it's just sitting there annoying me.The problem is that it belongs to my boot drive. My OS is installed on C: and I assume that G: and the 17MB + 101MB ones are system files. I wanna remove the letter G so It doesn't show up on my...
  6. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I remove the letter from this drive?: A new drive appeared in my file explorer, and it's just sitting there annoying me.The problem is that it belongs to my boot drive. My OS is installed on C: and I assume that G: and the 17MB + 101MB ones are system files. I wanna remove the letter G so It doesn't show up on my...
  7. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. SYSTEM is the EFI partition and how do I remove the drive letter and make it inaccessible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SYSTEM is the EFI partition and how do I remove the drive letter and make it inaccessible?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Madesh1326 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/irtvrl/system_is_the_efi_partition_and_how_do_i_remove/
  9. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?: I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be...
  10. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?: I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be...