Windows 10: How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

Discus and support How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by travis________, Dec 4, 2023.

1. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my C hard drive. I did desync/stop backup. I'd add a photo but there's an error occuring, sorry.

:)

travis________, Dec 4, 2023

2. How to restore original Documents folder (not Onedrive's) if I had not enough space in onedrive?

It sounds like your Documents folder may have been synced to OneDrive at some point, and now your computer is configured to use the OneDrive version of the folder instead of the local version.

To restore the original Documents folder on your computer, you will need to unsync or unlink the Documents folder from OneDrive. Here are the steps to do this:

1. Open the OneDrive settings by right-clicking on the OneDrive icon in the system tray and selecting "Settings".
    2. Go to the "Account" tab and click on "Unlink this PC".
    3. Confirm that you want to unlink the PC from OneDrive.
    4. After unlinking, OneDrive will ask you if you want to keep a copy of the files on your PC or remove them. Choose to keep a copy of the files on your PC.
    5. OneDrive will then start to remove the sync relationship with your Documents folder. This may take some time depending on how many files you have in the folder and your internet connection speed.
    Once the sync relationship has been removed, you should be able to access the local version of the Documents folder on your computer. You can then configure your computer to use the local version of the folder instead of the OneDrive version by following these steps:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the OneDrive folder on your computer.
    2. Right-click on the Documents folder and select "Properties".
    3. In the "Location" tab, click on the "Move" button.
    4. Choose a location for the local version of your Documents folder (e.g. C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents).
    5. Click on "Apply" and confirm that you want to move the files from the old location to the new location.
    6. After the files have been moved, your computer should start using the local version of the Documents folder instead of the OneDrive version.
    I hope this helps you restore your Documents folder to its original state!

Do let me know if you need further assistance.

Shivam.Pandey, Dec 4, 2023
  3. MisterEd Win User
    Change Documents Shortcut

It is possible because I just did it a week ago.

I don't remember the exact steps and can't verify this since I stopped all syncs with OneDrive and uninstalled it when done.

I got the same error when I tried to move the Documents folder from OneDrive
    I went into the OneDrive Settings, then Backup > Manage backup.
    I unchecked the selection for the Documents folder.
    Once I did that I was able to move the Documents folder from OneDrive

This is the only way I know to do it. I suggest you only keep things in the Documents folder you don't want synced with OneDrive. For files currently in OneDrive\Documents that you still want to sync with OneDrive, create a new folder and move them there. Then just add this folder to the ones synced by OneDrive

MisterEd, Dec 4, 2023
  4. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

Why I have TWO Documents folders?

ok so lemme start off my saying i recently wiped my system and installed windows 10
    and i noticed even more recently that i seem to have TWO documents folders...
    i have one that has nothing that it should in it and the other somehow is linked to Onedrive...
    the onedrive linked one has everything that the non onedrive should. (game saves, etc)
    my question is...why? is this normal cause i can't imagine it is...
    i don't think steam game save cloud will work with onedrive so i need to know, is this fixable WITHOUT another wipe? i have no idea how my onedrive got synced with my documents folder. i didn't set it up that way. any help is appreciated!
    thanks!

TheMatt1984, Dec 4, 2023
Thema:

How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

1. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder? - Similar Threads - remove OneDrive shortcut

2. How do I remove document folder shortcut from my drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove document folder shortcut from my drive?: Hi, I'm trying to move my documents to my new drive, but it keeps making a shortcut instead of the folder itself. I've seen others having no issue doing this with the documents being in their drive without it being a shortcut. I'm losing space and need to get the documents...
  3. How do I remove document folder shortcut from my drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove document folder shortcut from my drive?: Hi, I'm trying to move my documents to my new drive, but it keeps making a shortcut instead of the folder itself. I've seen others having no issue doing this with the documents being in their drive without it being a shortcut. I'm losing space and need to get the documents...
  4. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?: I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my C hard drive. I did desync/stop backup. I'd add a photo but there's an error occuring, sorry....
  5. How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?

How do I remove a OneDrive shortcut from my Documents folder?: I was trying to move my Documents folder over to my second hard drive, but it ended up just creating a OneDrive shortcut instead. It's still inside my C hard drive. I did desync/stop backup. I'd add a photo but there's an error occuring, sorry....
  6. How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???: I can’t have onedrive messing up my sims 2 saves because it desires to upload everything for no reason.I just want to make it so that my sims 2 folder cannot be messed with by Onedrive. And please, do not tell me to go to my account and “choose folders” because that just...
  7. How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???

How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???: I can’t have onedrive messing up my sims 2 saves because it desires to upload everything for no reason.I just want to make it so that my sims 2 folder cannot be messed with by Onedrive. And please, do not tell me to go to my account and “choose folders” because that just...
  8. How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?: I recently got a new laptop and when I was setting it up, I chose the option to backup Documents and a couple of other folders to OneDrive. I assumed that this would merely copy the files to the cloud, but apparently it actually replaces the local Documents folder entirely....
  9. How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?: Kindly let me know how to remove Desktop and Documents folders from OneDrive. Please note that I use OneDrive - Personal in Windows 11. There are some very big files in Desktop and Documents folders, and I don't want any of the files in those folders to be saved to OneDrive....
  10. How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?

How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?: Kindly let me know how to remove Desktop and Documents folders from OneDrive. Please note that I use OneDrive - Personal in Windows 11. There are some very big files in Desktop and Documents folders, and I don't want any of the files in those folders to be saved to OneDrive....