Windows 10: How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

Discus and support How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perkinw, Aug 17, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be able to continue to use the old drive, but I want Windows to assign it a temporary drive letter whenever I connect it. But in Disk Management, there is no option to convert a permanent drive letter to a floating drive letter. It only gives you the option to assign another permanent letter, or to remove the drive. What's the solution?

:)

perkinw, Aug 17, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Aug 17, 2019
  3. RB22531 Win User
    Remove Drive Letter Logistics

I've always used disk management to assign (CHANGE) a permanent drive letter on a couple of my USB external backup drives. That works like a charm for backup jobs that require a set drive letter destination. But I got to wondering exactly what the other
    two disk management Options of ADD and REMOVE actually do.

In other words does REMOVE (as I've read elsewhere) take the Drive Letter currently assigned to the Drive and remove it from not only the drive, but also from the list (i.e. the drop down list) in disk management you see when you want to change a letter.
    So that letter will no longer be available for assignment to any drive? What good does this accomplish?

Can I add this drive letter back to the list with the ADD Option? If not what does the ADD Option do?

I had previously though that REMOVE simply removed the letter assignment the disk and the letter would still be available in the disk management list. And the drive would just go back to being assigned the first available letter windows had from then on.

Appreciate any confirmations on what exactly the ADD and REMOVE do.

RB22531, Aug 17, 2019
  4. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space

Hello Sjoerd,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The reason the drive letters are not available to assign are because they might have been assigned to devices which are removed or hidden. I suggest you to check for any hidden devices and remove them to assign the missing drive letters.

Follow the steps mentioned below to check for the hidden or removed devices.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit enter.
    3. Click on the view tab at the top left hand corner.
    4. Now select View hidden devices.
    5. Now look for the hidden devices under storage volumes and
      portable devices.
    6. Right click on the hidden devices and click on
      uninstall
    7. Restart the PC.

After restarting the PC, try assigning the drive letter to the unallocated drive and check if the drive letters D, E, F, G, and H appears.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

1. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter? - Similar Threads - remove permanently assigned

2. Removable Drive not able to get assigned to a drive letter or be formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removable Drive not able to get assigned to a drive letter or be formatted: my USB drive shows up as an unformatted drive but its assigned the letter D. When I try try to format it, and error comes up that says that windows is unable to format the drive. I tried to format it using the Disk Management panel. When I create a new simple volume, it gives...
  3. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  4. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  5. Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks

Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks: I have two flash disks of the exact same brand and size (128GB each, formatted as exFAT). I have a problem in that when I insert either of them in a USB port, it's assigned a drive letter which may not be what I would like. Ideally I want each flash disk to be always assigned...
  6. Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments

Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments: RE: Dell Optplex 3020 Windows 10: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 x64 Hi, Have a small problem and I am going in circles.. I was moving a HDD and the DVD drive around so that I could get the HDD on D and the DVD on any other letter (Needed D for something else that I could...
  7. Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments: RE: Dell Optplex 3020 Windows 10: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 x64 Hi, Have a small problem and I am going in circles.. I was moving a HDD and the DVD drive around so that I could get the HDD on D and the DVD on any other letter (Needed D for something else that I could...
  8. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?: I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be...
  9. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  10. Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives: Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used). I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk Management and then click 'Change...