Windows 10: How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10

Discus and support How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; About ten minutes ago I had to do an update, and after doing it I find I had Microsoft Edge put on my desktop and taskbar. I've been able to unpin it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by finlandsberet, Jul 8, 2020.

1. How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10

About ten minutes ago I had to do an update, and after doing it I find I had Microsoft Edge put on my desktop and taskbar. I've been able to unpin it from my taskbar, but how to I remove the shortcut icon without actually deleting the whole thing? Is there even a way? It's just I really don't want it sitting on my desktop.

Thank you for any help!

:)

finlandsberet, Jul 8, 2020
  2. essenbe Win User

How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?

@Cliff S, Cliff, that's what I know too. If deleting it removes his desktop content, I thought it had to be the User Desktop folder.

essenbe, Jul 8, 2020
  3. Cliff S Win User

If it is just a shortcut, it is only a link and should NOT delete the Desktop folder.
    I just tried and had no problems.
    I followed what you did, dragged the quick access icon to the desktop, properties was no help, because it is a .lnk and not a folder or file, or worse yet the library.

deleted in recycle bin

How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10 [​IMG]

emptied recycle bin

How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10 [​IMG]

My Desktop is still thereHow do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10 :)

*Wink

Cliff S, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Cliff S Win User

How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10

@Mahir007 can you post a window shot or screeenshot of the Icon and the Properties.

I'm looking to see if it has a Location Tab like this:
    This is from C:\Users\my name
    This is the Desktop folder and NOT a shortcut.

As you can see in the next window shot, this is properties for a shortcut, and does not have a Location tab:

Cliff S, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10

1. How do I remove a shortcut from my desktop without deleting the file? - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - remove shortcut desktop

2. How do I remove accuweather.com from windows 10 desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove accuweather.com from windows 10 desktop?: How do I remove accuweather.com from windows 10 desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-accuweathercom-from-windows-10/5b676ae5-8954-4603-9706-a8dd34a2e993
  3. How do I remove a file from Onedrive without deleting it from my pc?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove a file from Onedrive without deleting it from my pc?: As per the title. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-a-file-from-onedrive-without/f30b94e1-5703-4048-92b9-1892460dfeb9
  4. How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?: I'm trying to remove a folder on my desktop that contains what appears to be internet explorer applications. However, every time I try to move or delete the folder I get a message saying that I do not have administrative control to do so. I've tried changing ownership to...
  5. How do I keep Win 10 from scattering my desktop shortcuts....

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I keep Win 10 from scattering my desktop shortcuts....: every time I turn the computer off? I like my shortcuts arranged around the periphery of the screen. When I boot up in the morning they are shifted and out of order. checking 'auto-arrange' only shifts them all into vertical rows in the left side of the screen. 142086
  6. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...
  7. How do I remove an account from MY pc without deleting the acco. .

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I remove an account from MY pc without deleting the acco. .: My sister logged on her microsoft account this week and I want to remove in from MY computer without deleting the account or any files of any kind on that account so that she can log on her account at school with all her files but the account wont be on MY computer. Can you...
  8. How do i remove these from my desktop screen?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i remove these from my desktop screen?: So I was organizing my desktop screen when I noticed these apps (Below) would not delete.[ATTACH] I try to delete them and this happens (Below)[ATTACH] I think it thinks it's the actual app but it has a shortcut icon. So I go into file explorer to move them, and they're not...
  9. How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?: Hi, I know the title might sound a bit confusing, but basically I accidently dragged out the desktop shortcut from the quick access bar to my desktop and it now created a folder saying Desktop (similar to say, going to the control panel>personalisation>change desktop icons...
  10. How do I remove the shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove the shortcut arrows: Using Win 10 single language home version. How do I remove the little shortcut arrows from the desktop icons? Tried the regedit tutorial creating new shell with file 29, but it just created little black boxes where the shortcut arrows were so I had to remove it. 36304