Windows 10: How do i remove default file associations

Discus and support How do i remove default file associations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I accidentally changed what .jar files open with, so they only opened with notepad. Whenever I downloaded them they appeared as notepad files, making... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kimberley Odish, Mar 8, 2021.

1. How do i remove default file associations

I accidentally changed what .jar files open with, so they only opened with notepad. Whenever I downloaded them they appeared as notepad files, making them unusable for me since I use them to mod games in my spare time :

https://techcult.com/how-to-remove-file-type-associations-in-windows-10/#Option_2_Restore_File_Type_Associations_using_DISM_Tool

I tried option 4 of this tutorial to fix it and i thought it worked but now it just looks like this

How do i remove default file associations 9853a8cb-6c94-4b16-b4da-5a49013ac6c7?upload=true.png

the one one the left is what it is supposed to look like and the one on the right is what i cant use

im sorry this is the only example i had

Does anyone have any way to fix this? I'm really struggling and just want to reset it to default again :

:)

Kimberley Odish, Mar 8, 2021

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Remove (not change) file extension association

I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ??

This user was very helpful (How to UNSET/REMOVE a default app for file type).

I took the suggested steps above and it removed the association but didn't return it to "Choose a default" ... this has caused a thumbnail app to work for every file EXCEPT the ones i mistakenly associated, then did the work around on. This is affecting
    productivity as I'm working with over 1,000 files (and growing). Since 145 people said they had the same question, please Microsoft, can you answer or solve this problem? Please help. Thanks.

PaperSavvy, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

How do i remove default file associations

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not sure why the suggested that there either since .zip is not listed by default. The easiest way is to use the "Open with" context menu to change the association for .zip.

Brink, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

How do i remove default file associations

1. How do i remove default file associations - Similar Threads - remove default file

2. How do I remove a default opening association from a file type. NOT simply change what...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove a default opening association from a file type. NOT simply change what...: I was following this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/how-to-remove-default-apps-to-open-files/091079d9-11fa-4d9e-b992-abed1bacae01 but I was unable to associate the .exe file. I really don't know what to do, and I'm pretty sure this...
  3. How to remove accidental file association

How to remove accidental file association: So I was trying to install a program that needs to be unassigned from a default program in order to work, but when trying to install it, I accidentally assigned .jar files to always open in Adobe Acrobat. I can figure out how to change which program opens the file, but I...
  4. Remove a file association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove a file association: I was trying to figure out how to open an .opx file that I crated in a much older version of PowerPoint but PowerPoint no longer supports it. As I hunted around for a program to open it, I accidentally clicked "Always use this App to open .OPX files" and hence the .opx files...
  5. default file association

default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  6. default file type association

default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  7. How do I remove .BIN app association?

How do I remove .BIN app association?: I accidentally associated a .bin file with Power2Go (non native file). I don't want to change it to another program, just to set no programs on it. I tried to assocciate with an invalid file (creating a .txt file and renaming the file to 000.exe or .xyz, .xxx...); using the...
  8. How To Remove File Associations Created in Error?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Remove File Associations Created in Error?: A PC I am asked to maintain has an invalid file association that I cannot remove. Specifically, it associates the file type .DWG with Acrobat Reader. Of course, such files are created by AutoCAD and have nothing to do with Acrobat. I've found .DWG in CLASSES and it points...
  9. How To Remove File Associations Created in Error?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Remove File Associations Created in Error?: A PC I am asked to maintain has an invalid file association that I cannot remove. Specifically, it associates the file type .DWG with Acrobat Reader. Of course, such files are created by AutoCAD and have nothing to do with Acrobat. I've found .DWG in CLASSES and it points...
  10. Default file type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default file type association: Hi! On Win 10 I want to change default file extension association to an exe file, but the system doesn't allow it. It happens with other extensions and programs too, but now specifically I wanted to associate the standalone version of flash player to .swf extension. It...