Windows 10: How do I remove icons from the system tray? (without closing app)

Discus and support How do I remove icons from the system tray? (without closing app) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using windows 10. In the settings, you can remove ''system icons'' from the tray (turn system icons on or off but not other apps), or you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Spuz, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Spuz Win User

How do I remove icons from the system tray? (without closing app)

I am using windows 10.

In the settings, you can remove ''system icons'' from the tray (turn system icons on or off but not other apps), or you can move your apps across from the taskbar to the system tray and back (select which icons appear on the taskbar).

What I am trying to do is remove apps entirely from the system tray whether the app is running or not.

My reason for wanting to do this is to keep it tidy and easy to find for those few background apps I do use, rather than having tons of system tray apps.

There are a few apps that give this service within their own programming but many do not also. Is there any software/apps that can help me do this? or any way to do this really would help, thanks.

:)

2. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

How do I remove icons from the system tray? (without closing app) [​IMG]

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

How do I remove icons from the system tray? (without closing app) [​IMG]

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

smartcooky, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Tray icon disappears

I've been experiencing since the installation of Windows XP SP2 on multiple machines with the ATITool Tray Icon disappearing upon load at system startup. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Enabling or Disabling the "Hide Inactive (tray) Icons" WinXP menu option doesn't have any effect. The only way to open ATITool after it has loaded is to go through the start menu to open it again. I have "minimize on close" selected in ATITool. When closing ATITool, you see it make the motions of minimizing to the tray area but no icon is displayed. Any ideas?

djshowergel, Feb 23, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Uninstalled program, but system tray icon is still there...

@Steve C - that would be valid if it were only the tray icon, but the first post mentioned

- hence my suggestion.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I remove icons from the system tray? (without closing app) - Similar Threads - remove icons system

2. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  3. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  4. How do I disable the hidden icons icon on system tray?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable the hidden icons icon on system tray?: I was looking for this option online and theoretically there should be a section in the settings app on windows 11 available from version 22572 onward that allows people to disable the hidden icons icon on the system tray by easily toggling a switch. However, I have version...
  5. How do I disable the hidden icons icon on system tray?

How do I disable the hidden icons icon on system tray?: I was looking for this option online and theoretically there should be a section in the settings app on windows 11 available from version 22572 onward that allows people to disable the hidden icons icon on the system tray by easily toggling a switch. However, I have version...
  6. Removal of the Windows Sync Icon CSC from System Tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removal of the Windows Sync Icon CSC from System Tray: Hi,Can anyone explain how can I prevent the Windows Sync Icon CSC from being displayed in the System Tray?Sync has been disabled and is no longer used however, I'm unable to remove the icon from the systray display the icon is found under hidden icons and is turned 'off' via...
  7. Removal of the Windows Sync Icon CSC from System Tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removal of the Windows Sync Icon CSC from System Tray: Hi,Can anyone explain how can I prevent the Windows Sync Icon CSC from being displayed in the System Tray?Sync has been disabled and is no longer used however, I'm unable to remove the icon from the systray display the icon is found under hidden icons and is turned 'off' via...
  8. Removal of the Windows Sync Icon CSC from System Tray

9. Remove CCleaner icon from system tray

Remove CCleaner icon from system tray: If I turn off showing CCleaner icon in Settings, the next time I run CCleaner it turns it back on - is there any resolution to keep it off? 170903
  10. Icons disappear from system tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons disappear from system tray: Hi, I have already performed the following: Right-click on an empty space in your desktop taskbar and select Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, find the selection labeled Notification Area and click on Customize. Click on Turn system icons on or...