Windows 10: How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?

Discus and support How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My McAfee free month that was preinstalled is over and I want to remove it and turn on my Windows Defender firewall but when I try to delete McAfee, it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DoreenMc, Nov 25, 2020.

1. DoreenMc Win User

How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?

My McAfee free month that was preinstalled is over and I want to remove it and turn on my Windows Defender firewall but when I try to delete McAfee, it says I need administrative permission.

I am the sole owner and user of this PC.

How do I access and set myself up as the administrator so I can do this?

:)

DoreenMc, Nov 25, 2020

2. Neither McAfee nor Windows firewall will stay on

@janetcarroll -

Windows Defender does not control the firewall service. Windows Defender will not run if it detects any third party is installed. I'm not sure which version of McAfee you have running, or if it has a built in firewall service. If McAfee has a firewall
    service, and you would like to keep it, I suggest you search McAfee support forums for answers.

If you want to uninstall McAfee and use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall services try uninstalling through Program and Features, else you will need to run a removal tool found here :

List of anti-malware product removal tools

If you haven't already - can you try executing the following command (from an elevated command prompt) : "%programfiles%\windows defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -wdenable

If this doesn't work - do let me know what 'Virus Protection' is displayed in the 'Security' section of Security Center.
    Windows Defender will not launch if there is a 3rd party registered.

Thx,

CJ.Eichholz (MSFT) - Microsoft Antimalware

CyberDust:
    +msft_cjeichholz

Twitter :
    @msft_cjeichholz

This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support.

CJ. Eichholz [MSFT], Nov 25, 2020
  3. jackecson Win User
    Windows Defender Firewall

I am using Windows 10 on a Dell desktop. This set-up came with a McAfee firewall installed (trial offer, I guess). I uninstalled McAfee (using McAfee's removal tool) so I could use Windows Defender firewall. Now it appears I have neither. The below screenshot
    shows the McAfee firewall is still installed and the Windows Defender firewall cannot be turned on because I'm using another firewall provider. The setup>programs and apps>uninstall routine does not list McAfee as a program to be uninstalled. Services does
    not list McAfee as a service to be turned off. How can I get this logjam fixed?

jackecson, Nov 25, 2020
  4. How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?

How to turn on Windows Defender Firework in Windows 10 notebook after end of free trial of McAfee firewall

In case you haven't uninstalled McAfee AND used their specific removal tool (see this

List of anti-malware product removal tools
    ) yet, suggestion to do so now and to reboot.

Also see:
    Turn On or Off Windows Defender Firewall in Windows 10

If still no luck you might want to run
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html

If nothing of the above helps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Jsssssssss, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?

1. How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running? - Similar Threads - remove McAfee Defender

2. Can I run Windows 10 Defender while running McAfee?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I run Windows 10 Defender while running McAfee?: I keep getting emails from Microsoft telling me that my PC running W10 is not protected “Real-time protection was turned off on the Windows device …” every time I turn it on. I’m running McAfee Toral Protection and as expected Windows tells me that ‘No action is necessary’....
  3. Can I run Windows 10 Defender while running McAfee?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I run Windows 10 Defender while running McAfee?: I keep getting emails from Microsoft telling me that my PC running W10 is not protected “Real-time protection was turned off on the Windows device …” every time I turn it on. I’m running McAfee Toral Protection and as expected Windows tells me that ‘No action is necessary’....
  4. Can I run Windows 10 Defender while running McAfee?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to get rid of Mcafee Management Service Host from Defender Firewall "Allowed apps"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get rid of Mcafee Management Service Host from Defender Firewall "Allowed apps"?: I had Mcafee software a LONG time ago. I was just in the "Allowed Apps" and I still see Mcafee stuff. And it won't let me remove it. I got the Mcafee removal tool and it didn't get rid of it.There are no Mcafee services running.Now what?...
  6. switch from McAfee firewall back to windows 10 firewall & defender

switch from McAfee firewall back to windows 10 firewall & defender: My new computer came with a 30 day trial version of McAfee. I do not wish to use it and want to turn windows firewall and defender back on. I can turn off McAfee firewall, but I can't seem to find how to turn defender and firewall on. McAfee seems to be blocking every...
  7. Windows firewall/McAfee

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows firewall/McAfee: It says my Windows firewall is controlled my vendor McAfee. I don't have McAfee. What does this mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-firewallmcafee/9e4e843a-5cdc-4c3e-856b-3fbc6304a666
  8. How do I get Windows Defender running again

How do I get Windows Defender running again: I had a problem with my program of Windows Defender as they are not running at the moment. All I see is when I clicked Threat service has stopped. Restart it now. Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again. Now how do I get this working again? Any idea...
  9. Do I need McAfee Firewall application if I have Windows Defender application?

Do I need McAfee Firewall application if I have Windows Defender application?: I keep getting this annoying message about if I am aware that McAfee Firewall Defender is not turned on. I have chacked and I have my Windows Defender firewall protection on. How can I get the McAfee software off of my machine - I find them to be a complete annoyance and...
  10. how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?

how do I get Windows Defender working after I uninstall McAfee?: What would suggest I do, McAfee came pre installed on my HP Laptop. My "free" subscription ends in a few days and I noticed that my Windows Defender does NOT work. It is grayed out because of McAfee as I have learned reading other posts on this board. Other AV programs have...