Windows 10: How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive?

Discus and support How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Present D: drive was once my primary C: drive. When i got a nice new SSD i did a clean W10 OS install on it and it became my C:, with the prior... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brucemc777, Mar 4, 2019.

1. How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive?

My Present D: drive was once my primary C: drive.

When i got a nice new SSD i did a clean W10 OS install on it and it became my C:, with the prior becoming the afore cited D:.

Now i have the following folders and files coming off the D: root and i want to get rid of them, yet i am getting messages such as "You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder", same scenario when i try to get rid of \Program Files\ and \Program Files (86)\.

Folders:
    D:\Boot\
    D:\MapData\
    D:\Program Files\
    D:\Program Files(86)\
    D:\ProgramData\
    D:\Windows\
    D:\WindowsApps\ D:\WpSystem\

Files:
    D:$WINRE_BACKUP_PARTITION.MARKER (Should this stay or go?)
    D:bootmgr
    D:BOOTNXT
    D:BOOTSECT.BAK
    DHow do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive? :pagefile.sys
    D:swapfile.sys

When i try:
    D: | Properties | Disk CleanUp | Clean up system files
    it does not show anything other than:
    • Windows upgrade log files
    • DirectX Shader Cache
    • Recycle Bin

I also get rather nervous when attempting to delete "my" folder within the D:\Users\ sub-directory ( Specifically D:\Users , not C:\Users) for even though i have mine over in C:, D:\Users contains 12 hidden "Junction"s and 11 files, all files being variant naming of "ntuser".

I want to free up Gigs of wasted space, but do not want to do anything stupid! (I have done "stupid" too many times in the past and have paid the price). What can i blow away, and how can i go about it relatively safely?

Thank-you, everyone, for your knowledge and advice-

:)

brucemc777, Mar 4, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

apps not working on secondary drive

Hi Lomavista,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Which apps are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Install all app updates from Windows Store.

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 2: I suggest you to download and run the app troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.

Run the Windows App Troubleshooter

Do let us know if you are able to use all apps from secondary drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Quick search not working on secondary drives on windows 10

Hi Foxybite,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• What type of files you are trying to search in the search bar?

• What do you refer to when you say secondary drives? Is it the other partition on the hard drive/external hard drive like flash drives or etc.?
    Kindly follow the below steps and check if you are able to fix the issue.

Step 1:

You can run the Search and indexing troubleshooter
    in Windows 10 and check if it helps. Follow the below steps to run Search and indexing
    troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.

• Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Search and indexing.

• Click on Advanced on the
      Search and indexing
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the
      Search and indexing troubleshooter.

Step 2:

Try to add your secondary drive in the indexing options.

• Type in the Indexing options in the start search box and click on
      Indexing options from the search bar results.

• Click on Modify on the Indexing options window. (Enter

• Check the secondary drive (which you need to fetch the results from the search box) and click on
      OK button. (If the secondary drive is not visible, click on
      Show all locations,
      enter the administrator credentials if prompted))

• Now, try to search and check if you are able to fetch the results.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Mar 4, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive?

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive?

1. How do I remove old Windows files from secondary drive? - Similar Threads - remove old files

2. How do I remove a old account on windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove a old account on windows.: So, I think a year ago, I got hacked and transferred everything to a new email. But now I don't know how to remove the old email off my computer, I do not know the password to it because a hacker, how do I remove the old account on windows. I've tried to remove it, but all it...
  3. How do I remove a old account on windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove a old account on windows.: So, I think a year ago, I got hacked and transferred everything to a new email. But now I don't know how to remove the old email off my computer, I do not know the password to it because a hacker, how do I remove the old account on windows. I've tried to remove it, but all it...
  4. Remove Program Files and WindowsApp folders from secondary drives - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Program Files and WindowsApp folders from secondary drives - Windows 11: Just upgraded to Windows 11 and got all setup. I was moving folders around cleaning up my secondary drives and noticed that all of them now have Program Files and WindowsApp folders on my secondary drives. I'm unable to delete them or do anything with them and I want them...
  5. Remove Program Files and WindowsApp folders from secondary drives - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove Program Files and WindowsApp folders from secondary drives - Windows 11: Just upgraded to Windows 11 and got all setup. I was moving folders around cleaning up my secondary drives and noticed that all of them now have Program Files and WindowsApp folders on my secondary drives. I'm unable to delete them or do anything with them and I want them...
  6. How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive: I bought a new PC that has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm using the old 1TB drive from the previous system as a data drive. Let's call it the D: drive. The D: drive used to be the boot drive and has lots of Windows system files on it that I want to delete to free up space....
  7. Removing Windows from an old hard drive

Removing Windows from an old hard drive: How do I remove Windows from an old hard drive without reformatting it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-windows-from-an-old-hard-drive/c902e4cf-8e2f-4b69-81b9-c8d6954a1a4f"
  8. How do i remove Windows old.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i remove Windows old.: In my files it says i dont have Windows old but i can clearly see to windows 1 in my C : drive and one in SSD E:DRIVE I've tried Disc clean up dosent wrk iv went to settings to use the Storage sense feature nothings wrking can someone help me???? submitted by...
  9. How to wipe old hard drive for secondary use

How to wipe old hard drive for secondary use: I built a new computer recently, and would like additional storage on it, so I want to use the old hard drive from my former build as a secondary drive. I already know it's compatible and how to install it. My question is: How can I wipe it completely so it's starting from...
  10. How do I remove windows old

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I remove windows old: How do I remove windows old thanks in advance [img] 86282

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean off all documents from this laptop