Windows 10: How do I remove Skype adware?

Discus and support How do I remove Skype adware? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I think my skype desktop version got infected by some sort of adware. Just earlier this morning I noticed that its displaying weird advertisements in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gabe22, Oct 27, 2017.

1. gabe22 Win User

How do I remove Skype adware?

I think my skype desktop version got infected by some sort of adware.
    Just earlier this morning I noticed that its displaying weird advertisements in skype home and there is a ad section in the contacts (individual) pages .. on top that is (check screenshots).

Home Ad:

How do I remove Skype adware? [​IMG]

Contact page ad:

How do I remove Skype adware? [​IMG]

I tried scanning using the default Windows Defender Security Center, no detection so scanned with Malwarebytes and no detection here ether. Also tried ADW Cleaner and HitmanPro ... ADW Cleaner didn't find anything ether or something removed em all but its still there and HitmanPro found a few adtrackers.

But strangely whatever is effecting my system is only successfully infected skype, browsers or anything else doesn't seem to have any issues but nonetheless I would like to get it fixed.

Any help is much appreciated.

And my system specs:
    Asus X555LF
    Windows 10 Pro,
    Intel® Core™ i3 5010U,
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 930M, 2GB DDR3 VRAM,
    1TB HDD 5400 RPM

:)

gabe22, Oct 27, 2017
  2. alfafla Win User

How do I permanently remove Skype from my Outlook.com account AND my computer? CORRECTED:

Hello, Eeshwar,

Thanks for your interest.

1. The "pings" say "Echo 123", which I'm told comes from Skype. I know nothing about Skype, so I clicked the link in my Edge Favorites and got a corrupted website, which I think left me malware before I closed it. That's when I lost the 3 apps. "Echo 123"
    also appeared in my Outlook People list.

2. A "Get Skype" app came with Win10, but I have only glanced in. No, I have not created an account. The words "Skype," "Action Center," "Edge," or "Start Menu" do not appear in Programs and Features on the affected User account nor on any other. (The others
    don't have any of these problems.)

>>Here I discover that I've made a bad error in my question: I meant to say, "How to do a clean
    uninstall?" Sorry to confuse you. My goal is to remove all traces of Skype from my PC and my Outlook account. I hope you can tell me how to do that. I hope doing so will restore all functions to my User Account.

10/10/2015: The Action Center notice icon in my Task Tray has been indicating that there are new messages, but clicking won't open the app (see above), so I have no idea what they are or whether they relate
    to this issue. The lack of action on this issue is very frustrating.

alfafla, Oct 27, 2017
  3. How do I permanently remove Skype from my Outlook.com account AND my computer? CORRECTED:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions.

• Are you referring to notifications from Skype?
    • Is Skype installed in the system?

I would like to inform that if a Skype account is created, then it will prompt some notifications regarding any updates for the application. So I suggest you to unsubscribe from Skype notifications by logging in to Skype.

To do a clean install, create an installation media (ISO image) for Windows 10 by referring the link below:

Windows 10 herunterladen

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 27, 2017
  4. garyb0125 Win User

In the past I've been able to disable ads in Skype by going to Internet Explorer> Internet Options > Security, and adding https://apps.skype.com to restricted sites.

garyb0125, Oct 27, 2017
  5. jl2509 Win User
    good call garyb0125 but you can also

Uncheck the box in Skype Privacy options "Allow Microsoft Targeted Ads......."

and...

Go to Tools, Change Language, Edit Skype Language File, Save as - to save a copy of the file
    Close the Language file editor

then

Go to Tools, Change Language, Load Skype Language File, Select the file you saved and terminate Skype.
    Reload Skype to remove the any picture loaded on the home screen

Hope this helps

jl2509, Oct 27, 2017
  6. gabe22 Win User
    My bad I should have mentioned it, I tried that and it kinda works but not a proper solution, what happens is, skype home keeps displaying the loading circle thingly and for the contact individual pages, the top advertisement section remains empty but its still there ... which if I'm not wrong ... shouldn't be there at all but thanks for trying though.

gabe22, Oct 27, 2017
  7. gabe22 Win User
    Unfortunately didn't work, after skype restart ... its still the same.

gabe22, Oct 27, 2017
  8. gabe22 Win User

Oh and I forgot to add in my first post, tried reinstalling skype multiple times and tried deleting all skype files from AppData\Roaming\Skype, just incase if the infection is there maybe idk) ... didn't work ether.

And just now scanned with SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, found a few adtrackers related to the taboola.com domain and deleted em all but the ad's are still there.

gabe22, Oct 27, 2017
  9. garyb0125 Win User
    In the past I've been able to disable ads in Skype by going to Internet Explorer> Internet Options > Security, and adding https://apps.skype.com to restricted sites.

After doing this, close Skype and go remove your skype profile (C:\users\your user name\App Data\Roaming\Skype\Skype user name). Delete this folder and then restart Skype.

garyb0125, Oct 27, 2017
  10. gabe22 Win User
    Tried that just now and the ads are still there, I think its adware or malware of sort ... idk .. something annoying that needs to go.

gabe22, Oct 27, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    A side note, the UWP version doesn't have ads.

swarfega, Oct 27, 2017
  12. gabe22 Win User
    Do you mean the version that looks like a metro app? as in the one that comes in default with win 10 I think?

gabe22, Oct 27, 2017
  13. gabe22 Win User

Also the reason I think its some sort of infection is because ... it says promoted links by taboola and when google'd taboola .. pretty much every result implies its not good and probably should be removed.
    And also the fact that well i never had ads in skype until now.

Suggestions anyone?

gabe22, Oct 27, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    Yes. (they dont use the metro moniker any more)

swarfega, Oct 28, 2017
  15. gabe22 Win User
    Oh that, I suppose if this cant be fixed then I'll have to switch there but I was hoping to fix this issue by removing w/e created those ads.

Also on a different note, after seeing the ads for the first time when I did, some google results showed there has been ads in skype for a while but I've been using skype for years, how come I didn't get any until now? or is it for adware removal from 3rd party malicious codes that install on ones system without any permission?

gabe22, Oct 28, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I remove Skype adware? - Similar Threads - remove Skype adware

2. Adware Removal

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adware Removal: Installed an app called 'Free OCR to Word" and I cannot reinstall it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adware-removal/1f8890bb-ae25-4dc3-90a3-d0c1aa91c747
  3. How to remove adware from www.dredown.com

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove adware from www.dredown.com: I recently was looking for a video downloader and my PC got infected with adware from www.dredown.com. I've tried Malwarebytes, adwcleaner from MalwareBytes, Avast, McAfee, Norton, and none of them have removed it. Obviously, Windows Defender hasn't touched it. I've seen ads...
  4. how to remove adware

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to remove adware: How to remove adware from window 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-adware/1f616298-11ce-468f-ba74-27192e8e8c2d
  5. Removing adware

Removing adware: How do I remove adware from my computer internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/removing-adware/53688fb8-0e26-400b-a353-425ae681d0a9
  6. Adware removal

Adware removal: How do I delete/remove an adware program when I keep getting a "program is in use by another folder" error when trying to delete it? My adware removal tool isn't locating it. Windows is telling me to close the other folder/program, but I have nothing else open. This is...
  7. remove adware

remove adware: Hi, I am infected with a malware, adware precisely named Ticeroftertal and Microsoft security tools are unable to remove it. Do you know how to remove it with a free option please?...
  8. Removing Adware?

Removing Adware?: I have a question r: removing PackTrackPlus. In Programs this App does not appear however I know I have by seeing the ocon in the upper left and also the bothersome ads appearing everytime I click on a new Site. Any ideas? Thanks in avance- Mike 123121
  9. Removing Adware?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Adware?: I have a question r: removing PackTrackPlus. In Programs this App does not appear however I know I have by seeing the ocon in the upper left and also the bothersome ads appearing everytime I click on a new Site. Any ideas? Thanks in avance- Mike 123121
  10. How to remove ads by bwplayer adware

How to remove ads by bwplayer adware: Anyone help me to remove ads by bwplayer adware. Could not find this adware in add or remove program list. how can I remove this adware. I cannot use internet, because of the popups created by bwplayer adware and it automatically redirecting pages. Please help me to remove...