Windows 10: How do I rename files with muliple file extensions in the name

Discus and support How do I rename files with muliple file extensions in the name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been unable to find a quick solution to a simply problem concerning the accidental naming of windows files with quadruple file extensions.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by quickfix2, Jul 31, 2019.

1. quickfix2 Win User

How do I rename files with muliple file extensions in the name

I have been unable to find a quick solution to a simply problem concerning the accidental naming of windows files with quadruple file extensions. Windows 10 will allow someone to name a file test.txt.txt.txt.txt but I am also finding programs that double file extensions.In my case I was trying to help somone with 500 files with the extension created twice. My simply solution as example at the command prompt is to type ren *.txt.txt.txt.txt *... then ren *.txt.txt.txt *... then ren *.txt.txt *... OK this seems a little clumsy so where did I go wrong in finding a simply solution from the internet for people that often put a file extension on a file extension that windows would once not like.

:)

quickfix2, Jul 31, 2019

2. How to rename multiple files with same name and different extensions?

If you are not comfortable using scripts you can rename the files using the excellent (and free) IrfanView, just follow the following steps:

• Go to File > Batch Conversion/Rename....
    • In Work as select Batch rename.
    • In Batch rename settings change the default pattern of image### to image###.jpg as you want to change the extension too. This will name the files "image001.jpg", "image002.jpg", etc. (if you have more than 999 images in that folder use instead image####.jpg). You can configure other name pattern using the Options button.
    • In the explorer panel on the right select All files (*.*) in Type and go to the folder in which you have the files, then select the ones you want to rename and press Add (or press Add all if you want to to rename all the files of that folder).
    • In Output directory for result files press Use current ("look in") directory for selecting the same folder in which files are located, or use Browse to select a different one if you want to move renamed files to another folder.
    • Finally this press Start batch to begin the batch renaming.

Note that as a safety measure by default IrfanView will make a copy of the files with the new names in the output folder, instead of just renaming the existing ones. To rename the original files go to the Options of Batch rename settings and change Copy original/input files to output directory to Move original/input files to output directory.

Alberto Martinez, Jul 31, 2019
  3. red268 Win User
    Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Jul 31, 2019
  4. ax_Cap Win User

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Solved!!!!!

Use 7zip.

open the 7zip file manager, go to the folder of the long name file, select the file, right click on it and select "rename".
    erase some of the words of the file and press enter.

regards!!!!!

ax_Cap, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I rename files with muliple file extensions in the name - Similar Threads - rename files muliple

2. How to rename a group of files with names of another group of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rename a group of files with names of another group of files: I have a folder with a group of files. For example;First folderAudio1.wavAudio2.wavAudio3.wavAudio.... and so onSecond folderYes.wavNo.wavPerhaps.wav... and so onAnd there's the same amount of those files, but they named different. How can I replace names of first group with...
  3. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  4. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  5. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Bug in massive file extension renaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug in massive file extension renaming: I'm found a wrong behavior in changing the file extension for more than one file. Having selected many file by the standard win10 file browser Win10 v1909, I try to change the extension in one shot by F2 key, by context menu, by Ribbon too. The regular box on the file name...
  7. How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

in Windows 10 Support
    How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions: I have a problem with the batch rename feature in Windows 10. This is when you select multiple files, right click and select "rename" and then type in the new name into the first file's name field. This will make all selected files the name you typed in with an "(X)" after...
  8. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...
  9. How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?: Hi , is there a way or a program to automatically rename mp3 lyrics file(.lrc) to the same name as my mp3 files? i am asking this because windows media player requires both the mp3 and lyrics to be the same name to recognize and play the lyrics. 56506
  10. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...