Windows 10: How do I rename mixed JPG and MOV files into one numerical sequence

Discus and support How do I rename mixed JPG and MOV files into one numerical sequence in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have several folders of mixed photos and videos. Currently they’re manually sorted as I want them, in the order of their creation regardless of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Guzziguy, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Guzziguy Win User

How do I rename mixed JPG and MOV files into one numerical sequence

I have several folders of mixed photos and videos. Currently they’re manually sorted as I want them, in the order of their creation regardless of filetype (IMG or MOV). If I sort them temporarily on another column (e.g. Comments or Tags) then I have no way of returning to the current sort because IMG and MOV files don’t share a common creation date metadata field, and some files have no date metadata at all. I want to batch rename them so that the current sorting can be recovered by sorting on name. Unfortunately, when I do a batch rename in File Explorer it renames the files sequentially within each filetype, for example a very small selection of my current files might look like this (the numbers in square brackets aren’t part of the name, they’re to show how the order changes):

IMG_6345.JPG [1]
    IMG_6347.JPG [2]
    IMG_4213.MOV [3]
    IMG_4004.MOV [4]
    IMG_6221.JPG [5]

I selected those five files, right clicked the top one, selected Rename and typed “2018-08-07 iPhone” expecting them to be renamed as follows, retaining their existing positions in the list:

2018-08-07 iPhone (1).JPG [1]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (2).JPG [2]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (3).MOV [3]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (4).MOV [4]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (5).JPG [5]

But the files were renamed and numbered by type, so what I got back was:

2018-08-07 iPhone (3).JPG [5]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (1).MOV [3]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (2).MOV [4]

When I then sorted by Name I got:

2018-08-07 iPhone (1).MOV [3]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (2).MOV [4]
    2018-08-07 iPhone (3).JPG [5]

Is there any way to rename the files sequentially without the file extension modifying the process?

:)

Guzziguy, Aug 18, 2018
  2. Jetster Win User

Editing .mov files

Ive never worked with .mov files. What a free program and best program to work with .mov files on a PC?

Thanks

Jetster, Aug 18, 2018
  3. Vario Win User
    Mov codec broken.

My mov codec must be broken. All the *.mov files are opening, but the colors are all damaged. Any suggestions? I have tried quick time alternative as well as quicktime with the same result. Whats the best way to clean out the old codecs so I can reinstall.

Vario, Aug 18, 2018
  4. ARYLIOA Win User

Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums:

Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the full key in the registry. I was not especially brave since I had saved a full image this morning. (You do have to reboot between changes for them to take effect.)

I created 8 files numbered 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. Then I downloaded the .reg files from that web site and applied them to see what happens. It appears W10 changed the default. It also appears the changes are still valid choices.

Anyway, W10 default is definitely with numeric sort enabled. As I created them, they came out in 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. (I don't know if the leading 0 is disregarded completely and might sort differently at some times, but they are in true numeric sequence since lead 0s should be disregarded.)

I ran the one to enable them first since disabled was the W7 default, and nothing changed. That reinforced that the defaults have been switched.

Then I ran the one to disable the numeric sort and the sequence changed to 01, 02, 1, 15, 2, 25, 4, 45. Basically straight ASCII collating sequence, not the numeric sequence Windows provides.

Anyway, I thought someone might be interested, and perhaps the equivalent information could be added to the Tutorials for W10 (reversing the default spec).

(edited to clean up mixed fonts)

ARYLIOA, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I rename mixed JPG and MOV files into one numerical sequence - Similar Threads - rename mixed JPG

2. How do I open a .mix file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open a .mix file?: I have looked off and on for several years to figure out how to be able to just view the 3 .mix files I have. They are extremely sentimental to me and I would really like to solve this issue. As it was exclusively a Microsoft file type, there should be some way to convert or...
  3. How do I open a .mix file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I open a .mix file?: I have looked off and on for several years to figure out how to be able to just view the 3 .mix files I have. They are extremely sentimental to me and I would really like to solve this issue. As it was exclusively a Microsoft file type, there should be some way to convert or...
  4. Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer: I have all files in the order I want them I click on first then hold shift as I click on last to select all. I then right click the first and select rename. For example using Alpha… after pressing enter they’re Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Alpha 3 and so on until there’s a file type...
  5. Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer: I have all files in the order I want them I click on first then hold shift as I click on last to select all. I then right click the first and select rename. For example using Alpha… after pressing enter they’re Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Alpha 3 and so on until there’s a file type...
  6. Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Number sequence off when renaming files

Number sequence off when renaming files: Just got a new laptop. In the past when I rename photo files I highlight 4 or 5, right click, name 1234 hit enter....what I get is 1234 1, 1234 2, 1234 3...etc. On this new laptop for some reason I get 1234, 1234 2, 1234 3. It's dropping the 1 from the 1st photo....and I...
  8. .mov to .jpg

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .mov to .jpg: I'm receiving the following message when trying to save a .mov to a .jpg file (picture from Iphone). How do I clear this error below? I've converted files before but now am receiving this message. We can't get to the file for this item. If it's downloading or just...
  9. How to read iPhone .JPG and .MOV files in windows 10.

How to read iPhone .JPG and .MOV files in windows 10.: How to read iPhone .JPG and .MOV files in windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-read-iphone-jpg-and-mov-files-in-windows-10/c8efebb5-d996-48a6-8e16-0b523e7fc69f"
  10. Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence: I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums: Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How can I sort .jpg files so that the file nanes can be sequentially numbered into one folderusing Win10