Windows 10: How do I repair a dual boot system.

Discus and support How do I repair a dual boot system. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Windows 7 and 10 on a SSD PC (c:) but I keep getting a report that files are corrupt. My system boots fine but I no longer see the dual boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jim Guth, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jim Guth Win User

How do I repair a dual boot system.

I have Windows 7 and 10 on a SSD PC (cHow do I repair a dual boot system. :) but I keep getting a report that files are corrupt. My system boots fine but I no longer see the dual boot screen at startup. If I'm running MS Solitaire Collection card games my the games crash sometimes.

I have the original Win 7 disk /# and also have made backup done daily and did a system image several years ago. Both of the backup and Image are on other drives.

I'd like to get: the dual boot screen back but It's not necessary. and fix my system boot and file issues.

I'm currently running MS 10 Ver 1903.

Thanks for the help

:)

Jim Guth, Aug 7, 2019
  2. KDBudd Win User

Repairing Dual boot for Windows 10

Hello.

I had installed Ubuntu for a dual boot but ended up deleting it and the partitions. Now when I boot my system a black screen appears with the message:

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device completions.

grub> _"

I can get to Windows by typing 'exit'. How can I get rid of these extra steps to starting my computer?

There is another post that already asked about this exact problem but following the directions did not fix it for me (see link below). Is there another way to fix this problem besides booting from an install and typing "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" into the command
    prompt?

Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Thank you

KDBudd, Aug 7, 2019
  3. s.rishti Win User
    Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Hello.

I had dual booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case),
    where Ubuntu was stored. But, now whenever I boot my system, a black grub screen comes with the following message:

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device completions.

grub> _"

Upon writing 'exit', I am able to enter Windows.

1. I wish to know the reason behind it and how it can be removed.

2. I found this site, Dual-boot Repair tool for Windows 10 , should I go ahead as it says? Will I end up losing data?

Thank you.

s.rishti, Aug 7, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I repair a dual boot system. - Similar Threads - repair dual boot

2. Preparing automatic repairs in dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing automatic repairs in dual boot: Hello, I recently dual booted my system windows 10 + ubuntu 20.04, and I am facing an issue of "preparing automatic repairs" when I select windows 10 in the grub. But, when I set Windows 10 boot above ubuntu boot in the Boot settings of the UEFI firmware setting, Windows...
  3. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  4. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  5. How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System

How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System: My bootloader is corrupted (I think the last Insider upgrade did it). I have the correct two Win 10 installations listed (my Win 10 production system and the Win 10 Insider) but there are others listed, such as "UEFI IP4" and both of my DVD drives (see screenshot). I would...
  6. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  7. Repairing Dual boot for Windows 10

Repairing Dual boot for Windows 10: Hello. I had installed Ubuntu for a dual boot but ended up deleting it and the partitions. Now when I boot my system a black screen appears with the message: "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions....
  8. Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  9. How to install on a dual boot system?

How to install on a dual boot system?: I have two systems. System 1 is a desktop running W7 Premium SP1. I did clean install of W10 from iso on separate partition. W10 will not activate using W7 numbers. I suspect that is because I moved W7 to an SSD 6 mos. ago and W10 expects the old HDD. BTW, installed W10 to...
  10. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC: Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When they all work as I want them to, I intend to delete the current partition C: (the old installation) and just use the clean...