Windows 10: How do I replace all files in a folder with a single file

Discus and support How do I replace all files in a folder with a single file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey! I've been needing to do something for a while but I'm really struggling to get it done automatically. This also might sound really confusing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zx1, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ZX1
    zx1 Win User

How do I replace all files in a folder with a single file

Hey!

I've been needing to do something for a while but I'm really struggling to get it done automatically. This also might sound really confusing because it's quite hard to get it into actual words, it makes sense in my head but its impossible to communicate.

Basically, I have a folder full of files with different names and each file is different, none are the same. What I need to do is replace every single one of those files with one singular separate file in a different folder so all the files in the previously mentioned folder have been replaced with this one file and are the same, but also ensuring that all the replaced files in the original folder keep their original names so they can be read by the system properly.
    I've been doing it manually but there are over 2500 files in that folder and its taken hours of copying the name of one file in that folder, deleting the file and pasting the new file and name over to replace it.

I just need a way to bulk replace all of these files with a single external file without having them losing their original unique names and instead having XXXX_(copy) in its place

I really hope that makes sense because I'm on a time limit now and I appreciate any help I can get which saves me from hours of doing it manually and dying of boredom *Tongue

:)

2. GSquadron Win User

Folders with zip files

I have like 30 or more folders and everyone of them has only one single zip file.
    How can I extract all zip files inside of all folders?

GSquadron, Jun 22, 2019
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jun 22, 2019
  4. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 22, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I replace all files in a folder with a single file - Similar Threads - replace files folder

2. How do I delete the files in my personal folder & replace w/ my own?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete the files in my personal folder & replace w/ my own?: I want to delete the default personal folders because I want to change their icons but when I do this they come back... oddly they are able to come back even if I already have a folder with that exact same name already in the folder does anyone know how to remedy this I know...
  3. File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?

File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?: I would like to show the Comments column in the File Explorer view for all files not folders. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-how-do-i-set-view-to-apply-to-all/0e39a8e6-9f59-4066-89ab-a63f8ab51d99
  4. How to manually group files in a single folder? Workarounds?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to manually group files in a single folder? Workarounds?: I want to create my own little custom groups for the files in a single folder. Currently I have the folders separated by having brackets or numbers in front of their name. But I want to use the group function. Problem is, I can't seem to group things in the way I want, only...
  5. I sorted files in a folder by date range. Now how do I show all the files in the folder again?

I sorted files in a folder by date range. Now how do I show all the files in the folder again?: ....the title is about the size of it. Had all the files in alphabetical order. Wanted to find the ones from the past week. Sorted. Now I cannot figure out how to restore the whole list. Help? TIA...
  6. File History: how do I remove all tracked folders?

File History: how do I remove all tracked folders?: Does someone use File History? By default File History is tracking a lot of folders and I find it really annoying to remove them one-by-one. Is there any way to remove them all? Only desktop content is critical for me, so I don't see why should be there anything else. BTW,...
  7. How do I password-protect all Word files in a folder?

How do I password-protect all Word files in a folder?: Hello, I'm looking to make all the files in a folder on my computer read-only unless a password is entered. There are about 50 files, so an automated method would be ideal. Editing the permissions of the folder won't suit the problem. There needs to be a password that...
  8. Replace user folder with recovered files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace user folder with recovered files: My hard drive failed recently and I now have a new one. I was able to recover files from that hard drive but my last image back up was over a year ago in 2018. I have now restored my computer to the image back up in 2018 but I want to update all the files I have from my old...
  9. How do I merge scanned documents into a single file?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I merge scanned documents into a single file?: I'm using Windows Fax & Scan and each page is its own file. Anyway to merge them all into the same file, so I'm not attaching 20 separate files to an email?...
  10. Backup single file in folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup single file in folder: Hi Is there any simple way, not involving 3rd party software to get File History to backup a single file in a folder? I'm trying to backup the Google Chrome bookmarks file, the file itself is about 1k but it's in a folder with 1Gb of files and I don't need to backup any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how replace all file in