Windows 10: How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system?

Discus and support How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer was showing "Activate windows" on the monitor for a year now. To try and fix the problem, I added a new key in settings. The only problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Big_Juice_Man, Dec 23, 2019.

1. How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system?

My computer was showing "Activate windows" on the monitor for a year now. To try and fix the problem, I added a new key in settings. The only problem was that it was a windows 10 enterprise key and I use windows 10 professional. My computer went into safe mode and resetting my computer or booting was not an option. I tried using the command prompt to reset my computer but I am unable to because windows needs me torestart the computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore. I don't know what it means by restarting and selecting an operating system. Help is appreciated.

:)

Big_Juice_Man, Dec 23, 2019

2. Dual boot not allowing to select Operating system.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

Suggest you to try the below mentioned steps and check if they helps you.

* Press Windows logo key + R to open run command

* Type Systempropertiesprotection into it and hit
    Enter key.

* Go to Advanced tab, then click Settings
    under Startup and Recovery

* Select the check box against theTime to display list of operating system
    under System startup.

* Set the time in seconds if required, then click OK and
    OK.

Now restart your PC and see if it give option to choose operating system on
    System startup.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Dec 23, 2019
  3. error loading operating system.

Hi Ibrahim,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to check if you are able to boot the computer into Safe Mode environment.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

• Select an option to “Safe mode with networking” using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the Windows Advanced Options menu
      appears, and then press ENTER.
    Also, try updating your BIOS drivers and check.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 23, 2019
  4. How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system?

Error 1719 when trying to install Photoshop

Ok. Now that you've made the change, the installer needs to be re-registered. Follow the instructions below right from MS:

Start your computer in safe mode, and then register the Msiexec.exe file.

To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
    b. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.
    c. Press F8 before the Windows splash screen appears.
    d. On the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.
    e. If you use a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the appropriate operating system from the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.
    f. Log on to the computer.
    g. Click Start, click Run, type msiexec /regserver in the Open text box, and then click OK.

Note For 64-bit operating systems, you also have to reregister the 64-bit MSI installer. To do this, click Start, click Run, type %windir%\Syswow64\Msiexec /regserver in the Open text box, and then click OK.

On 64-bit editions of the Windows operating system, 32-bit binaries are located in %systemroot%\SysWow64 folder. The 64-bit binaries are located in the %systemroot%\System32 folder.

h. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
    i. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.

thoughtdisorder, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system?

1. How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system? - Similar Threads - restart computer select

2. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  3. How do I activate my PC operating system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my PC operating system?: Hello all,This is my first time requesting any help with my PC from this community, but I made a silly mistake with my PC that I can't fix myself. I recently purchased Windows 10/11 Pro from the Microsoft Store, but I grew dissatisfied it after about 2 or 3 weeks, so I...
  4. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select operating system in operating system selection: I tried to download Windows 10 on my laptopI had Windows 7 as a second operating system. After 1st reboot the operating system selection screen appears with no operating system to select. I also can't use the recovery environment. How to fix it without usb drive?...
  5. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't select operating system in operating system selection: I tried to download Windows 10 on my laptopI had Windows 7 as a second operating system. After 1st reboot the operating system selection screen appears with no operating system to select. I also can't use the recovery environment. How to fix it without usb drive?...
  6. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10 "select an operating system loop"

Windows 10 "select an operating system loop": I've recently powered my pc off while it was updating. And once I turned it back on, It took me to the "change a operating system" and there's only 2 options. Which says the same on both of them. But every time I select either of them, the pc will reset and take me back to...
  8. Windows 10 "select an operating system loop"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 "select an operating system loop": I've recently powered my pc off while it was updating. And once I turned it back on, It took me to the "change a operating system" and there's only 2 options. Which says the same on both of them. But every time I select either of them, the pc will reset and take me back to...
  9. Windows prompting me to select operating system

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows prompting me to select operating system: the same thing as this old solved post https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/bg4ui3/windows_prompting_me_to_select_operating_system/ but my question is just what would happen if I selected the other boot? submitted by /u/PuffinRex [link] [comments]...
  10. How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

How do I move my operating system to a SSD.: So hey guys I am looking forward to replace my laptop HDD with a SSD. My laptop is the Toshiba Satellite l70 pro 17.3". I have a basic idea of doing transferring windows 8 to an SSD but apparently it is harder to transfer Windows 10 to a SSD when compared to Windows 8 and 7....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how.to select a operating system when restarting a pc