Windows 10: How do I restore new => Folder to context menu?

Discus and support How do I restore new => Folder to context menu? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there The other day I discovered out of the blue New =>Folder had disappeared from the context menu. I have been forced to create new folders by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xprt007, Oct 1, 2020.

1. xprt007 Win User

How do I restore new => Folder to context menu?

Hi there

The other day I discovered out of the blue New =>Folder had disappeared from the context menu. I have been forced to create new folders by copying an existing folder, renaming it & deleting its content.

I have absolutely no reason what could have lead to this, but it must have disappeared in the last couple of days.

If I use some programs that enable disabling/enabling context menu content, a "Folder" option is missing, because in any case, I did not disable it.

• I have done Scannow & DISM scans, both find nothing wrong
    • of the software I installed or updated of late like a video editor or update of Windows Security definitions, I cannot imagine any is the cause.
    • all available Windows 10 64 bit updates are installed, all my other software is up-to-date
    • Following the following instructions did not also help:

If the following branch does not exist, you need to create it.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Alternately, use the following REG file to create the key and the default value data automatically.

Copy the following lines to Notepad, and save the file with .REG extension "new.reg". Double-click the file to apply the settings to the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New]

@="{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"

• The other context menu items like New Text document/Word doc, etc are there

What else can I do, so I get the option to create New => Folder back? A fresh installation of Windows is not an option.

Once again ONLY the New => "FOLDER" option is missing in the folder context menu and seems to have disappeared in the last couple of days.

Thank you in advance

:)

xprt007, Oct 1, 2020

2. Problem with New Context Menu

The option to add a new Rich Text File seems to have disappeared from my Context Menu and I'm not sure why.

I'm not computer savvy, but after a bit of Googling I read how you can add and delete options from the New Context Menu though the Registry Editor. When I went to check it the .rtf folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT still has it's ShellNew folder so I'm not
    sure what the issue is or if perhaps there's something wrong with it. I also found a tool to easily enable/disable file types on the New Context Menu, and .rtf is listed along with everything else and checked off as "enabled" but for some reason is not showing
    up, even after I tried disabling and enabling it a couple of times. This is extremely frustrating as that's the file type I use the most.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is or how to fix it?

MadeOfKittens, Oct 1, 2020
  3. How to get rid of old context menus?

I was going to suggest editing teh registry , but....

francis511, Oct 1, 2020
  4. How do I restore new => Folder to context menu?

Shawn Brink, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

How do I restore new => Folder to context menu?

1. How do I restore new => Folder to context menu? - Similar Threads - restore Folder context

2. How do I modify the context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I modify the context menu: Greetings,How do I modify the right click context menu?There are so many options it is cluttered.I have tried various solutions, but none seem to work.edit right click menu windows 11 - Google SearchThanks,WV-Mike...
  3. How do I modify the context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I modify the context menu: Greetings,How do I modify the right click context menu?There are so many options it is cluttered.I have tried various solutions, but none seem to work.edit right click menu windows 11 - Google SearchThanks,WV-Mike...
  4. For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?: For Windows 11 I performed a registry edit a month ago to restore "new" items to the explore right-click context menu. Recently I found the new shortcut item is missing. How can I restore it? Registry entries on a different machine are the same for hcr\file, hcr\folder,...
  5. For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    For explorer context menu, how do I restore missing new shortcut item?: For Windows 11 I performed a registry edit a month ago to restore "new" items to the explore right-click context menu. Recently I found the new shortcut item is missing. How can I restore it? Registry entries on a different machine are the same for hcr\file, hcr\folder,...
  6. How to restore Winrar to Context Menu ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to restore Winrar to Context Menu ?: When I knew no better, I removed the Winrar entry/ies from Context Menu - and now I want them back, but no method has succeeded - most surprisingly, uninstall and then re-install with the right options ticked still fails to restore it/them. x32Win10ProV20H2...
  7. How do I turn on context menu shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I turn on context menu shortcuts?: For example, when you want to rename a file, you can right click on it, then press "m" on your keyboard to rename that file because "m" is the shortcut for rename when the context menu is open, as signified by the underlined "' on the "rename" option. However, it's not...
  8. Restore "Command Prompt Here" in folder context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore "Command Prompt Here" in folder context menu: After the installation of the latest windows 10 update, I was very annoyed my "Command Prompt Here" has disappeared again from the right mouse button menu, after I took a lot of effort to restore it. Windows Powershell is not an option for me, as it wreaks havoc on...
  9. How do I add new .java file to context new menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add new .java file to context new menu?: Hello, I want create a new blank java source code file from the context menu when I right click in a folder and select new. I have tried adding a registry edit with the following code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.java\ShellNew]...
  10. How do I disable the new Explorer taskbar context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable the new Explorer taskbar context menu: Hi, Is there any way to disable that next context menu when clicking on Windows Explorer? It shows a bunch of favorite folders and recent folders. Thanks! 28702