Windows 10: How do I retain my Windows license?

Discus and support How do I retain my Windows license? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have my Windows installed on a m.2 pci-e ssd. I also have a Sata 3 ssd in my system. If I was going to sell my pc, how can I take the m.2 to my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/D0ggy_, Apr 20, 2020.

1. /u/D0ggy_ Win User

How do I retain my Windows license?

I have my Windows installed on a m.2 pci-e ssd. I also have a Sata 3 ssd in my system.

If I was going to sell my pc, how can I take the m.2 to my new PC and move the Windows installation to the sata SSD? Also if I want to keep the license for my new build, how can I disconnect it from my current rig.

I already have the license linked to my Microsoft account. Could I just log to my account on my new computer and from there activate it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/D0ggy_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/D0ggy_, Apr 20, 2020

2. I want to sell my laptop but retain my windows 10 license

My laptop has Windows 10 Pro retail license. I wish to retain this license for myself and not give it away with the device. I will be doing a full reset and data wipe (of course). But I want to know how I can hold on to my license. What extra steps will I need to take?

Clarification edits:

1. It did not come with Windows. It came with DOS installed. For this reason, there is no license key baked into the BIOS.

2. It is not UEFI at its current configuration. It does support UEFI, though, if one is willing to go through the complete format and reinstall process.

3. I am using a retail Windows 10 Pro license which I bought separately

Anish Majumder, Apr 20, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 20, 2020
  4. How do I retain my Windows license?

windows digital license retaining

I formatted my pc ( all available drives in HD ), my acer laptop came with windows 8.1 and I have upgraded my device to windows 10, as I have formatted my drives there is no previous windows inf. available, and I don't have any windows 8 disk available
    to reinstall so some one please tell me if I can retain my digital license with my windows login????

vaibhavsurve, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

How do I retain my Windows license?

1. How do I retain my Windows license? - Similar Threads - retain license

2. Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer does not retain its size and location on the screen.: Hello. Using the Windows 11 Pro operating system, I encountered an error. When I open the Explorer program, I adjust its size using arrows in different corners of the Explorer window and location on the computer screen. The problem is that by closing the explorer and opening...
  3. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  4. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  5. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from a Volume License to a bought Windows 10 PRO DVD and retain...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from a Volume License to a bought Windows 10 PRO DVD and retain...: Hello Everyone,Subject description says it all. Just wanted to express my support to Microsoft by buying genuine installation media from my trusted computer vendor. I just wanted to retain all my installed applications as those are currently taking up hundreds of GBs and I...
  7. How to switch boot disk and retain license

How to switch boot disk and retain license: Hi, What is the easiest way to switch the old and slow 1TB disk to a SSD of similar size? I was considering cloning the drive from old to new but is there another way? System is Windows 10 Home. Cheers...
  8. How to retain Win 10 Home license after format my Laptop

How to retain Win 10 Home license after format my Laptop: Hi I have windows 10 Home edition and I need to format my Laptop due to unusual slower of OS. Guide to how to retain my currunt Win 10 Lincese and let me know how to reinstall Win 10....
  9. Will I retain Window 10 Home license if I upgrade it to pro edition?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will I retain Window 10 Home license if I upgrade it to pro edition?: I have two licenses one Home edition and one pro edition. If I upgrade home edition to pro edition can I install home edition on another computer?...
  10. Want to move to another OS but retain license w/ free upgrade to 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to move to another OS but retain license w/ free upgrade to 10: Hate to come here and ask this. Purpose of this thread is not to trash W10. I'd like to format and install another OS on my desktop's HDD. What is the best way to keep my activated 8.1x64 Pro COA with free 10 upgrade? Can I shrink my partition way down and just do a...