Windows 10: How do I retrieve hard drives that aren't connected?

Discus and support How do I retrieve hard drives that aren't connected? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I haven't used this Windows 10 computer for some time and I did Windows update and then reviewed and made some changes in "Settings" and when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by hayhurst2, Jun 21, 2019.

1. hayhurst2 Win User

How do I retrieve hard drives that aren't connected?

I haven't used this Windows 10 computer for some time and I did Windows update and then reviewed and made some changes in "Settings" and when I returned to the desktop 4 of the icons for my hard drives had an overlay of a large blue "?" and when I click on the icon for those drives I get an error window that says: "Problem with shortcut" label for window and inside window it says: "The drive for network connection that the shortcut 'O-Overflow.Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available then try again." The drives that have the blue "?" overlay are: M-Music, P-Photos, O-Overflow and N-Nature drives. The C: and the S-Storage Video drives don't have the blue "?" over them. When I look at "Disk Management" only the C: and the S: drives are shown and those other drives are not listed. There is no data on the M-Drive and very little on the P-Photos and the O-Overflow drives. When I first updated Windows all the drives were shown, when I clicked on.. "This PC" but now when I look under "This PC" only the C: and the S: drives are shown. I wonder if I did something wrong with "Settings" but I went back and reviewed what I had done and I can't find any error. How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my 4 drives it says are "unavailable"? Thank you.

:)

hayhurst2, Jun 21, 2019

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Mathragh Win User
    Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Jun 21, 2019
  4. How do I retrieve hard drives that aren't connected?

little cat, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

How do I retrieve hard drives that aren't connected?

1. How do I retrieve hard drives that aren't connected? - Similar Threads - retrieve hard drives

2. How do I find the Hard drives and type of Hard drive + Plus Drive Letters?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find the Hard drives and type of Hard drive + Plus Drive Letters?: Okay, so I am trying to figure out which hard drive is designated for my storage and for my Operating system.Overall I was to know What type of drives they are, whether it is the:Pata or the NVME one and I do not want to have to open it up again.HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP,...
  3. How do I find the Hard drives and type of Hard drive + Plus Drive Letters?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I find the Hard drives and type of Hard drive + Plus Drive Letters?: Okay, so I am trying to figure out which hard drive is designated for my storage and for my Operating system.Overall I was to know What type of drives they are, whether it is the:Pata or the NVME one and I do not want to have to open it up again.HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP,...
  4. How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive: My computer died last week, there seemed to be an issue with the motherboard so the technician removed the hard drive and made it an external HD. Fast forward to now, I can plug in the external to my new laptop and retrieve copy files but not ones that were encrypted saying I...
  5. How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I retrieve encrypted files from old hard drive: My computer died last week, there seemed to be an issue with the motherboard so the technician removed the hard drive and made it an external HD. Fast forward to now, I can plug in the external to my new laptop and retrieve copy files but not ones that were encrypted saying I...
  6. HOW DO I RETRIEVE MY DOCUMENTS, MUSIC AND PICTURES AFTER MY HARD DRIVE WENT BAD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW DO I RETRIEVE MY DOCUMENTS, MUSIC AND PICTURES AFTER MY HARD DRIVE WENT BAD.: I had an incident about two weeks ago; my laptop fell down leading to a blue screen error after I turned it off. My mum took it to get repaired and they said it was the hard rive that got corrupted. It's fixed now, but I don't have any of my documents, music or pictures. Can...
  7. How do I format my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I format my hard drive?: So I bought my desktop computer with an internal 1 tb hard drive and I recently got a ssd to make it faster but it has less storage so I wanted to use my hard drive as storage but when I boot from my ssd the hard drive doesnt show up so I was wondering how I would format...
  8. How do I unformat a hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I unformat a hard drive?: My PC has two operating systems on a C and E drive. I formatted my E drive by mistake when I was trying to format a flash drive. A friend told me there's a way to unformat it. How do I do it? Both drives have Windows 10 Pro....
  9. How do I reformat the Hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I reformat the Hard drive?: I want reformat the hard drive on an old Laptop I can't seem to be able to get anywhere the boot will not recognize the CD drive nor a external floppy. I am trying to permanently remove Win 10....
  10. How do I unlock internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I unlock internal hard drive: Enter the 48 digit recovery key, but "a valid usb key wasn't detected." My computer was repaired. This is the internal drive I took out during repair. Now I put the drive back in and it is bitlocked. The C drive where Windows 10 is loaded works fine. larry...