Windows 10: How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB?

Discus and support How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used my 500 GB external hard drive to externally install Windows on a computer. I didn't know that would reformat all my files on the hard drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MattFaherty1, Feb 28, 2019.

1. How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB?

I used my 500 GB external hard drive to externally install Windows on a computer. I didn't know that would reformat all my files on the hard drive and make them disappear.

Using EaseUS Data Recovery, I got my files back and they are safety saved.

However, my external hard drive is still trapped in ESD-USB mode. And for some reason, it says that there is only 31.9 GB of free space, even though it's a 500 GB device. I even tried to reformat back to "default" through properties, which cleared all the data on the hard drive, but it still says there is only 31.9 GB of free space.

How do I get my hard drive back to normal?

:)

MattFaherty1, Feb 28, 2019

2. External hard drive changed to esd-usb

While performing window media creation I have converted my external hard drive as bootable usb device (esd-usb). I couldn't recover my files in the hard drive . Need help

Vigneshkumar03, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Restore previous data before external harddrive was made ESD-USB bootable drive

Hi Ashish,

ESD-USB is only the name of windows installation file and it is on its own disk partition.
    Your data and files are still on the disk but windows can´t see them. When you open the
    Disk Manager you should see empty space behind your ESD-USB. We have found a thread with the same issue as yours, we suggest that you follow the steps given by

Jimzamjimmyy
    on the second page:
    Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB".
    His response was created on
    December 31, 2016 and helped 17 people.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Feb 28, 2019
  4. How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB?

Accidentally converted my 1TB external hard drive to a ESD-USB

If that's the case, then here's what you can do instead. Please follow the steps below:

• Make sure that the external drive is connected to the computer and check if the drive shows up in
      File explorer.
    • Press the Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
    • Type the command line: chkdsk X: /f (where x is the external drive letter) and press
      Enter. This checks the drive for the errors and fix it automatically.
    • After the check disk is complete, check for the errors and missing components of the drive from the window.
    • Type the command line: convert X: /fs:ntfs and press
      Enter
      key on the keyboard for starting the conversion process. Wait until the drive is converted to NTFS file format.
    • Close the window and check if the external hard drive storage has been reverted back to its manufacturer size.

Keep us updated with the status of the issue and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Note: If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Marque Lor, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB?

1. How do I revert an external hard drive after converting to ESD-USB? - Similar Threads - revert external hard

2. External USB hard drive not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  3. How do I eject an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I eject an external hard drive?: When I go to eject the drive, the eject button is greyed out and I can't click on it. When I go to the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" to try and eject, it says that it cannot because it's still being used in a program. I ended up closing all my programs and windows...
  4. How do I convert ESD USB back to Hard Drive Seagate and Recover my LOST files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I convert ESD USB back to Hard Drive Seagate and Recover my LOST files?: Hello! Im really noob at computers and I need some Expert' help. I am planning ro Fully Reformat my computee because it is getting REALLY REALLY SLOW. So, I downloaded a Windows 10 OS at the official Microsoft Website. I didn't really payed attentions on the warnings and...
  5. How do I convert an external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I convert an external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS?: I need help on how to convert an external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS. Procedure would work. TIA submitted by /u/SanQuiSau [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hnctjw/how_do_i_convert_an_external_hard_drive_from/
  6. Formatted my portable hard drive into a ESD-USB

Formatted my portable hard drive into a ESD-USB: Hi, I was using windows media creation tool and I didn't expect it to overwrite my entire hard drive. I've tried using recuva but it just spits out a mess of files. Is it possible to undo what the creation tool did or at the very least recover some of the folder structure?...
  7. how to eject usb external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to eject usb external hard drive: how to eject usb external hard drive that keeps on working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-eject-usb-external-hard-drive/379c0bb2-2d84-4414-a1ae-5a6cae18cd8b"
  8. accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb

accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb: Accidentally converted my 1TB external hard drive to a ESD-USB I built a new custom PC and I needed to download Windows 10 for it so I used my Toshiba 1TB external hard drive to install the ISO of Windows 10 Home onto it and then install it onto my PC. It all worked and I...
  9. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  10. How to convert an internal drive to external?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to convert an internal drive to external?: I will be removing a Dell's OEM mechanical HD and installing an SSD then installing Windows 10 clean. Although the mechanical HD is a dog I'm thinking that it would serve just fine as a USB/Macrium Reflect destination for this laptop. Is it possible to buy a 'box' that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. converted external hardrive to esd usb

2. using hdd after esd usb

3. esd usb revert

4. how to revert an external hard drive