Windows 10: How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version

Discus and support How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since the upgrade to Windows 10 I have had continuous problems. Windows Live mail will barely function at all - just freezes every time I try to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Majesty, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Majesty Win User

How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version

Since the upgrade to Windows 10 I have had continuous problems. Windows Live mail will barely function at all - just freezes every time I try to open it. IE 11 continually shows script errors despite disabling script debugging and I cannot print anything from the internet even though the printer works perfectly well.

To add to this the enter buttons on the keyboard stopped working and today two programmes have disappeared - their apps have gone from the desktop as well.

I am so fed up with Windows 10 - it's like Big Brother - how dare they decide what I can use, what I can't use etc. is there any way I can go back to my old windows programme?

:)

Majesty, Nov 24, 2016
  2. AfiOsakwe Win User

How Do I Revert To An Earlier Win 10 Version When The Process Wants Me To Delete New User Account That I'm Logged Into?

I updated to Version 1709, OS Build 16299.125. Although during the first part of the process it indicated that it was creating a restore point, it did not. Now, I'm trying to revert back to the older version since the update didn't include any of my personal
    files and apps or reconstruct what I formerly had in the new version. How do I go back to what I had when it won't allow me to do so unless I delete the new user account? Can I safely delete it and still recover the old system?

AfiOsakwe, Nov 24, 2016
  3. John Sarc Win User
    How Do I Revert To An Earlier Win 10 Version When The Process Wants Me To Delete New User Account That I'm Logged Into?

Hi,

With regard to your question if you can safely delete and still recover the old system, yes, you can. Adding up, to revert back to the previous version of your Windows, see this
    link
    and go to "Go back to your previous version of Windows" section.

Let us know if the article helps.

John Sarc, Nov 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you bought a retail license and upgraded to '10 in the last 30 days, you should be able to restore the previous version from within Windows.

If more than 30 days, you will need to either
    a. Clean install the previous edition (assuming you have a pertinent license)
    or- assuming you are in the strongly recommended habit of using disk imaging and have kept relevant disk images
    b. Restore your system using those disk images.

Naturally, if you now have a newish PC and wished to, say, reinstall Windows 7, you might not find all the necessary drivers are available.

Other than that, sorry your experience has been poor.. after a bit of a learning curve, mine's been fine. I avoid the universal apps and the Win 10 start menu, and rarely use Cortana.

dalchina, Nov 24, 2016
  5. What OS did you originally upgrade from?

alphanumeric, Nov 25, 2016
  6. Majesty Win User
    Originally I was running Windows 7 Professional.....it was preloaded on the computer when I purchased it so I do not have a disk.

Majesty, Nov 25, 2016
  7. Windows 7 install media could be hard to find. Other here might have a source but I don't know of one. Also, you need the key from the COA sticker to activate. As mentioned above, If it has been less than 30 days since you upgraded from 7 to 10, you can do a rollback, other wise its a clean install. Or do a factory recovery, if the recovery partition is still there, and the key to activate it on boot still works.

alphanumeric, Nov 26, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

I can still get a Windows 7 ISO from MSDN. If you want me to grab one for you, because you must supply a valid key to use it anyway, I can't see how that would violate the MS license. We'll have to figure out a way to make it available to you (Dropbox, perhaps?) because it runs from 2.1 to 2.4 GB in size.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: I just checked and I have the US-en version with SP1 in both x86 and x64 versions on my hard disk already.

EdTittel, Nov 27, 2016
  9. Fixer Win User
    You can get Windows 7 and later ISOs HERE. Make sure you get the same version you had before and the key on your CoA sticker should work, but personally I would image the system first in case you run into issues.

Fixer, Nov 27, 2016
  10. Just keep in mind, the tool in the link Fixer posted, is not an official Microsoft Tool. Not as far as I know anyway. That being said, I have no idea where it actually gets the ISO's from? They may very well be safe, but who really knows for sure? Just so you know.

alphanumeric, Nov 28, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The download tool posted provides links to Microsoft servers for the ISO files. You can click on the buttons on the right to copy the links for the 32-bit and 64-bit ISO files and see where the ISO file is coming from:

How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version [​IMG]

https://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_x64.iso?t=3cc7345c-efa3-4c1a-9095-1b9b35d353dc&e=1480463746&h=c5dea893e61424e58af0a690c2d29035

https://software-download.microsoft....f0a690c2d29035

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  12. FYI, MajorGeeks.com is well known as a reputable website.

cottonball, Nov 28, 2016
  13. How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version

Fair enough, just wasn't sure where it was pulling the ISO files from is all. Microsoft pulled all the official Windows 7 sites a while back, so unless you had MSDN etc, getting those ISO's was a PITA. Plus there were some people out there that took that opportunity to try and push modified (not in a good way) ISO's out to unsuspecting people. If I see something that doesn't look 100%, I advise caution until I can check it out, or somebody I trust tells me its OK. *Wink

alphanumeric, Nov 28, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Nice suggestion to use MajorGeeks Download Microsoft Windows ISO Download Tool - MajorGeeks. I'd completely forgotten about that. Good job, Fixer, and thanks for the vetting NavyLCDR! I'll add my general endorsement for MajorGeeks, too: I've been downloading from them since the early 2000s, and they've never done me wrong. I regularly read their download listings, because they keep coming up with great tools, in fact.
    Hope this helps the OP,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 28, 2016
  15. This is all well and good ... but the OP listed a Dell in their system specs, so aren't they going to need a Dell OEM ISO, not one of the retail MS ISOs? I don't believe those links include OEM ISOs -- but I could be wrong.

Mark Phelps, Nov 29, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version - Similar Threads - revert earlier version

2. Windows Build update reverted my windows to an earlier version!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Build update reverted my windows to an earlier version!!: I tried updating my windows build and after installing and restarting my computer, I signed in to my account. After signing in, I noticed that it has reverted to an older version of my computer with old setup of files, old desktop placement and more. How do I fix this? Send...
  3. Windows Build update reverted my windows to an earlier version!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Build update reverted my windows to an earlier version!!: I tried updating my windows build and after installing and restarting my computer, I signed in to my account. After signing in, I noticed that it has reverted to an older version of my computer with old setup of files, old desktop placement and more. How do I fix this? Send...
  4. Windows Build update reverted my windows to an earlier version!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 reverted back to earlier version from Windows Update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reverted back to earlier version from Windows Update.: Hi,I woke up this morning and as I went to login to my PC it was obviously doing some type of update because it was asking me to 'Finish Setting up your PC'. It then asked me to login to Windows all over again. It shows in my System properties that I'm still running Windows...
  6. Windows 10 reverted back to earlier version from Windows Update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 reverted back to earlier version from Windows Update.: Hi,I woke up this morning and as I went to login to my PC it was obviously doing some type of update because it was asking me to 'Finish Setting up your PC'. It then asked me to login to Windows all over again. It shows in my System properties that I'm still running Windows...
  7. Windows 10 reverted back to earlier version from Windows Update.

8. Revert to earlier version

Revert to earlier version: I did a clean install of 20h2 with a Win 10 flash dirve that I purchased. After numerous issues black screen, blue screen, freezes I figured out that the new Win 10 20H2 does not like my EVGA nVidia GTX 1060 6Gb graphics card. It actually hates it. If I install the card, the...
  9. How do I revert back to my previous version of Windows 10

How do I revert back to my previous version of Windows 10: Windows 10 version 2004 has too many bugs for me. How do I revert back to my previous version until Microsoft gets version 2004 fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-revert-back-to-my-previous-version-of/050b6641-6b65-44d1-b850-a4466e708773
  10. Reverting to an earlier version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting to an earlier version?: Hello, I just (last night) "upgraded" win 7 64bit to win 10. Seeing that the 1903 version is already out, it is what it loaded. Problem is, it is already causing conflicts with some programs. I need to be on the 1803/09 version. If i try to revert to previous versions,...