Windows 10: How do I run as non-admin?

Discus and support How do I run as non-admin? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, and if it has, I apologize. I recently read that running my home PC network as administrator is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bimfi, Feb 14, 2016.

1. bimfi Win User

How do I run as non-admin?

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, and if it has, I apologize. I recently read that running my home PC network as administrator is dangerous and that I should use a local user account. Not knowing where to begin, I added a new account under "Family & other users" account.
    The problem was that when I restarted my PC and logged into that account, it was as if I was a newbie first starting out with a fresh screen and desktop. None of my icons and settings from my "admin" user account transferred over. This meant that I would have to start over from scratch building my screen resolutions, favorite desktop icons, preferences, etc.
    I did not, and do not want to set up a "Microsoft Account", but unfortunately it seems that I cannot sync my settings unless I do so (according to the "sync your settings" page).
    Is there a better and less painful way of setting up a "normal" user account that will allow me to keep most of my settings intact? If you don't have the time to detail what steps to take, please at least direct me to a link that will give me the steps.
    Thanks for any and all suggestions.

:)

bimfi, Feb 14, 2016

2. How do I turn off 'Run as Administrator?'

Hello Kevin,

But, if the existing User Profile had required administrator privileges, then the program you initiate will run with administrator rights. Forcing a program to run without administrator privileges will not be possible, until you make some registry changes.
    However, it is not recommended to make REGISTRY changes.
    Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly.

Better, I suggest you to go here
    to see if you find any work around.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 14, 2016
  3. How do I turn off 'Run as Administrator?'

Hello Kevin,

We understand your concern in this regard. Let us know few things to analyze the issue.

• Are you referring any pop up window that appears while running the program?
    • Which program are you referring to?
    • Is it on Microsoft account or Local account?
    • Is that existing account have required administrator privileges?
    Give us above details to assist you better.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 14, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

If you want to sync your settings, those settings have to come from somewhere. The MS account is one way to synchronize them.

5. bimfi Win User
    thanks for the information. I believe I found the easiest solution to my situation. What I did was to create another user account, but made it an administrator account. I then took my original administrator account and changed it to a standard user account. And if I need to tweak anything on my now "user" account, I just type in the administrator password. Case settled (I hope).

bimfi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I run as non-admin? - Similar Threads - run non admin

2. How do I give a non-admin user access to Disk Management?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I give a non-admin user access to Disk Management?: I have a system with one Administrator account and one non-admin User account. I simply want to allow the non-admin user to access Disk Management for extending a drive into unallocated space. How do I go about doing that?OS: Windows Server 2019 Standard...
  3. How do I give a non-admin user access to Disk Management?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I give a non-admin user access to Disk Management?: I have a system with one Administrator account and one non-admin User account. I simply want to allow the non-admin user to access Disk Management for extending a drive into unallocated space. How do I go about doing that?OS: Windows Server 2019 Standard...
  4. How do I give a non-admin user access to Disk Management?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Run as Admin for Non Admin user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run as Admin for Non Admin user: We have an app called 2020 on local machines and there are catalogs that need to be updated monthly. The catalogs are in the Azure cloud server. I was hoping to use this option runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\app.exe but the app is app to do the...
  6. Run as Admin for Non Admin user

Run as Admin for Non Admin user: We have an app called 2020 on local machines and there are catalogs that need to be updated monthly. The catalogs are in the Azure cloud server. I was hoping to use this option runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\app.exe but the app is app to do the...
  7. How do I run Chkdsk on bootup on non bootdrives?

How do I run Chkdsk on bootup on non bootdrives?: How do I run Chkdsk on the system boots up, particularly on drives other than the C drive or non boot drives?Wrong answers: fsutil dirty set: I used the command parameter "e: fsutil dirty set" and it simply set the drive as dirty, didn't run chkdsk on bootup.chkdsk /x /f /r:...
  8. How do I run Chkdsk on bootup on non bootdrives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I run Chkdsk on bootup on non bootdrives?: How do I run Chkdsk on the system boots up, particularly on drives other than the C drive or non boot drives?Wrong answers: fsutil dirty set: I used the command parameter "e: fsutil dirty set" and it simply set the drive as dirty, didn't run chkdsk on bootup.chkdsk /x /f /r:...
  9. How do I run Chkdsk on bootup on non bootdrives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. How do I create a non Admin A/C?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I create a non Admin A/C?: How do I create a non Admin A/C? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-create-a-non-admin-ac/a403c426-b7cb-4b06-a29b-66d62c5a9120