Windows 10: How do I run my laptop from an external hardrive?

Discus and support How do I run my laptop from an external hardrive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I am currently running a Hp Stream 32gb and No memory left what so ever. I have bought an external hard drive and wish to download or move my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zojo1972, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Zojo1972 Win User

How do I run my laptop from an external hardrive?

Hi

I am currently running a Hp Stream 32gb and No memory left what so ever. I have bought an external hard drive and wish to download or move my Windows 10 to the external hard drive to run the laptop. I can not run existing laptop as it stands as all internal memory is taken. there is nothing left to uninstall. can not do any updates etc.

can I easily do this or would I need to buy another windows key?

I am going potty with online tutorials as they all say something different and my son needs a working Pc for his gcse work during this lockdown : I am not in the position to buy another one at the moment.

any advice would be great please :

:)

Zojo1972, Apr 16, 2020

2. My Passport Ultra (external hardrive)

Okay so I connected my external hardrive-my passport ultra, to my dell inspiron 15r laptop running windows 10, but for some reason it doesnt seem to do anything. the external hardrive lights up and makes a sound as if it is
    running but my laptop doesnt do anything and when i try to look for it on my computer it can't be located. do i need to download some type of program or drive? please help!!!

thanks for your time and help, Bianca

BiancaKlassy, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Win10 external Hardrive.

Hello all techies need your help.

I have been using my External hardrive case with different memory card plug in the front of the external hardrive case.

It has been working for over five years fine and something happened that it wants to now format it. I know all the information is still on the Hardrive. However, how do I get my windows to recognize the Hardrive or hardrive to recognize windows? I don't
    want to lose all my data please.

Kind Regards from an American from the Balkan,

Drago Andjelic

Cloning Hardrive Question, Apr 16, 2020
  4. How do I run my laptop from an external hardrive?

Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

How do I run my laptop from an external hardrive?

1. How do I run my laptop from an external hardrive? - Similar Threads - run laptop external

2. I have a External Hardrive that connects, but will not show in my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a External Hardrive that connects, but will not show in my pc: I have followed guide after guide after guide and they all are a copy-paste of one another and they all tell me to reinstall drives for the USB and well that I have done, but the problem is still ongoing.I have connected the external hard drive onto EVERY SINGEL USB and...
  3. External Hardrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hardrive: How do i access my external HARDRIVE on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardrive/216895a8-343c-4b49-93f2-d71f988de2a4
  4. i unplugged my external hardrive unsafe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i unplugged my external hardrive unsafe: will this ruin my whole pc or make it slow ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-unplugged-my-external-hardrive-unsafe/113316f4-b392-4a1d-ac83-7e4cfb48da17
  5. External Hardrive USB

External Hardrive USB: Hi, I recently bought a KESU USB 3.0 320 G external hardrive. It is not showing up anywhere on my Surface Pro 7. I have tried going into Device Manager and uninstalling and reinstalling USB Root Hub USB. 3 but still the hardrive is not showing up anywhere. How do I fix...
  6. Big problem with my external hardrive G

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Big problem with my external hardrive G: my externe hardrive doen't work,it tells me that my hardrive is protected in ecriture,so i can't pua Nothing on it,what can i do?thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/big-problem-with-my-external-hardrive-g/ba4912e9-7fda-46db-89c1-e5857eb508b5
  7. How do I use a hardrive from one Dell laptop to another of the same type.

How do I use a hardrive from one Dell laptop to another of the same type.: Ok so I have two Dell Latitude 3330's that run Windows 7 and have identical specs. Well, one of them stopped turning on and the other has a dead hardrive. The hard drive of the pc that won't turn on still works and is it possible to put it into the Pc with the dead hardrive....
  8. Win10 external Hardrive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 external Hardrive.: Hello all techies need your help. I have been using my External hardrive case with different memory card plug in the front of the external hardrive case. It has been working for over five years fine and something happened that it wants to now format it. I know all the...
  9. I had windows10 at onetime recognize my external hardrive, but no more. How do I get it to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I had windows10 at onetime recognize my external hardrive, but no more. How do I get it to...: Dear Support team, Last week I had my external harddrive recognized for over five years, and then all of a sudden sometime last week it stopped recognizing it. I googled it, and it said I had to reformat it; however, I got all my important information that I do not want...
  10. how do i switch to external hardrive for update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i switch to external hardrive for update: I want to change where I save the update to a external hardrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-switch-to-external-hardrive-for-update/a13abd2d-1cc4-4c54-973c-bea06287baaf