Windows 10: How do I run Windows 10 Mail by pressing keyboard Mail key?

Discus and support How do I run Windows 10 Mail by pressing keyboard Mail key? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I would like to run "Windows 10 Mail" (the Metro/desktop client, not the web Outlook service) when I press the "Mail" key on my "Microsoft Natural... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by idigweeds, Sep 25, 2016.

1. idigweeds Win User

How do I run Windows 10 Mail by pressing keyboard Mail key?

I would like to run "Windows 10 Mail" (the Metro/desktop client, not the web Outlook service) when I press the "Mail" key on my "Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard". There is an applet that comes with the keyboard that allows the user to set what programs run when you press any particular key. Setting these keys requires that you specify an executable file for it to run. I know how to do that and have succeeded in setting several keys to new programs. The reason I am here is that I cannot find an executable file for Windows 10 Mail. I have looked in several locations that would make sense to me:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Mail
    C:\Program Files\Windows Mail

The only other location I could suspect is:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Unfortunately, Windows 10 won't give me permission to open that directory, even though I am 'god' on this computer.

So where is the executable file for Windows 10 Mail?

:)

idigweeds, Sep 25, 2016
  2. idigweeds Win User

Would like to open "Windows 10 Mail" with the "Mail" key on my multimedia keyboard.

You don't understand. I am referring to "Windows 10 Mail" the desktop client that comes with Windows 10, not the web based mail solution called "Outlook". What I want is to press the Mail key on my "Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard" and have it run
    the Windows 10 Mail desktop client. Setting this up is a very simple task to do. Certainly, I could have the mail key run any program on my computer if I can find the executable file for it on my hard disk. What my problem is that I can't find the executable
    file to set it to. My question again, where is the executable?

idigweeds, Sep 25, 2016
  3. Configuring Windows 10 Mail App with Keybaord key

Old title: Windows 10 Mail App

My Microsoft Keyboard has a Mail App Key that I want to use to run the Windows 10 Mail App. Unfortunately I don't know the file name that starts the app so I can't program the keyboard mail key to open that app. What's the filename of the Windows 10 Mail
    App?

MikeTerrien, Sep 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

It doesn't have one.
    Universal apps use a different paradigm to traditional desktop programs. Thus they can't take parameters, for example.

You can create a shortcut by left click drag from the start menu.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  5. idigweeds Win User
    Not exactly what I wanted I hear. I wonder if the newer keyboards have drivers that can allow these programs to run without running up against this problem?

idigweeds, Sep 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  7. idigweeds Win User
    Oh sorry! Somehow I didn't equate a link to an executable. Problem solved. Thank you.

idigweeds, Sep 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Good.. just remember universal apps don't use executables as in exe's.

dalchina, Sep 26, 2016
  9. Bronis Win User
    I too have a Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard which has app keys which worked fine up to Win 7 but in Win 10 they don't, except for the Media key which brings up Media Player and the Mail key which tries but fails to bring up Hotmail (I don't have an account). However, I must be misreading something because although I've created a desktop shortcut for Mail, when I click on the shortcut's Properties I see that there's an entry for Shortcut key - "None" - but I'm unable to change it. That is, I can't delete or change the "None" and pressing the Mail key on my keyboard only triggers another attempt at logging onto Hotmail.

What am I doing wrong? Or is a "hot key" something else?

Bronis, Oct 10, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, example that works for me:

How do I run Windows 10 Mail by pressing keyboard Mail key? [​IMG]

In this instance I dragged (left click, drag) the shortcut from the start menu.

dalchina, Oct 10, 2016
  11. idigweeds Win User
    My question dealt with using the Mail Key on the keyboard as apposed to creating a shortcut key. What I did was to open my All Programs menu, dragged the Mail link to the desktop. I then opened the Microsoft Keyboard settings applet(also in the All Programs menu), selected the Key Settings tab, selected the Mail key, configure button, and then navigated to the desktop where the new shortcut was placed, selected the shortcut, then OK. After that, pressing the Mail key on the keyboard opens Windows 10 Mail.

idigweeds, Oct 10, 2016
  12. Bronis Win User
    Unfortunately, when I run the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard applet, the "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center" displays only the mouse. It doesn't recognise my keyboard. The keyboard appears as an HID Keyboard Device in Devices and Printers, but right-clicking on it only takes me back to the Mouse and Keyboard Center sans keyboard. But thanks for what sounded like a very promising lead.

Looks like it's going to be a choice between a legacy keyboard that I love or a run to the appliance store. Cheers....

Bronis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I run Windows 10 Mail by pressing keyboard Mail key? - Similar Threads - run Mail pressing

2. How do I revert to the Mail for Windows 10 app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I revert to the Mail for Windows 10 app?: The new app is unnecessarily bloated. I would estimate it takes roughly 3x longer to load. I have reset my windows installation a few days ago and was presented with the option to try the new app; one post mentioned a button at the top to revert, but that is now outdated, and...
  3. how do I reinstall mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I reinstall mail: How do I re install MS mail & Calendar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reinstall-mail/a329d9d6-4556-46a5-a018-3025bad186d5
  4. how do I reinstall mail

how do I reinstall mail: How do I re install MS mail & Calendar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reinstall-mail/a329d9d6-4556-46a5-a018-3025bad186d5
  5. How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows 10 Mail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows 10 Mail?: I need help to add iCloud account to my windows 10 mail, NOT outlook. My Windows is 10x21H2x64bit. here is what I have done so far.1. from Manage Account in Mail, I selected "Add account", then select iCloud2. input my AppleID, Name and App-specific password I also tried my...
  6. How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows 10 Mail?

How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows 10 Mail?: I need help to add iCloud account to my windows 10 mail, NOT outlook. My Windows is 10x21H2x64bit. here is what I have done so far.1. from Manage Account in Mail, I selected "Add account", then select iCloud2. input my AppleID, Name and App-specific password I also tried my...
  7. How do I change the mail adress sender in microsoft mail ?

How do I change the mail adress sender in microsoft mail ?: How do I select another mail to answer? its a fixed option, I cant find a way to change it! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-mail-adress-sender-in/539a74d2-4d5f-48e6-9913-ba565eb7060e
  8. Microsoft Mail App - How Do I Stop Junk Mail?

Microsoft Mail App - How Do I Stop Junk Mail?: Hi guys, I get ~5 spam emails a day all from the same email address. I can't work out to get them automatically taken out of my inbox and put in the spam folder or directly deleted. Can it be done in the Windows 10 mail app. Thanks. Mike...
  9. How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows Mail?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I setup iCloud mail to work with Windows Mail?: I am running Windows 10 PRO Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 and would like to configure Windows 10 built in Mail and Calendar apps to connect to my iCloud account but they fail to connect. I have authenticated Chrome and Edge browsers to work with iCloud and still get an...
  10. How do I print from Mail for Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    How do I print from Mail for Windows 10: I am unable to print any email - either by using [Ctrl] +P or by clícking on the Print button in the dropdown menu. I get a message saying: "Nothing was sent to print. Open a document and print again" Windows 10 is driving me mad! *Mad 31302