Windows 10: How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus?

Discus and support How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For example, when I want to load Space Engineers game in the background and tab out of it so it can load while I'm browsing the internet, the window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Cake5, May 6, 2020.

1. Cake5 Win User

How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus?

For example, when I want to load Space Engineers game in the background and tab out of it so it can load while I'm browsing the internet, the window automatically switches to the game, expected, but then repeatedly switches back to it when I'm trying to get it to load in the background. I get the same with Microsoft Office applications. I've been getting this with various applications where they repeatedly draw focus from my current activity.

Perhaps for such cases, a focus override key would be helpful? For example, holding Ctrl when pressing the program icon in my taskbar so it opens in the background. It's the OS equivalent to "Look at me! Look at me!" when it repeatedly nags the user. I'm wary of installing unfamiliar third party software due to viruses or making changes I don't fully understand.

:)

Cake5, May 6, 2020
  2. rluks Win User

Preventing applications from stealing focus in Windows 10

There is a dated question asking for a solution for windows 7. I have recently grew tired of newly launched applications to steal focus from my currently opened window. Is there a way how to prevent programs from stealing focus in Windows 10?

Thank you

rluks, May 6, 2020
  3. Jason Win User
    Is it possible in Windows 10 to prevent an opening application from stealing focus?

In Linux I can do this but can you do this in Windows?

I launch a new application and it takes awhile to load. In the mean time I am tying text in an application or searching for an application in classic shell. While typing the launching application finally takes focus and interrupts my typing. Is there a way to prevent this in windows?

I did see this Preventing applications from stealing focus but that was back pre Windows 8.x days. Does anyone know since the newer OSes that this has become possible?

Jason, May 6, 2020
  4. How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus?

Windows 10 : shellexperiencehost stealing application focus

I am a FIFA player and while playing in a match if you switch control to anywhere but the FIFA application, your game is terminated (you loose).

I have been having problems where some background application would steal the focus (keyboard not screen) and my game would be terminated.
    I decided to run a WindowsFocusLogger in the background to monitor the focus and the last time this happened I observed shellexperiencehost was the process to which the focus was shifted.

Why is shellexperienncehost stealing the focus and how can I prevent it from doing so ?

iammrmehul, May 6, 2020
Thema:

How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus?

1. How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus? - Similar Threads - safely prevent applications

2. Unknown application stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown application stealing focus: Good Day,I have recently been getting calls from end users that when they are typing, the cursor will disappear and they have to click back into their text box to continue.This started occurring in the last month. I have 3 PC's having this issue, all 3 are new deployments,...
  3. Unknown application stealing focus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown application stealing focus: Good Day,I have recently been getting calls from end users that when they are typing, the cursor will disappear and they have to click back into their text box to continue.This started occurring in the last month. I have 3 PC's having this issue, all 3 are new deployments,...
  4. Unknown application stealing focus

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Application focus having a significant effect on application frame rate. How do I prevent this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application focus having a significant effect on application frame rate. How do I prevent this?: Hello, hope my description below is useful. thanks in advance to any/all responders.The Issue:We have 3 apps running in parallel, 2 are GPU intensive applications and one is CPU intensive only, for clarity ill call these CPUAPP1, GPUAPP1 and GPUAPP2. These apps are all...
  6. Application focus having a significant effect on application frame rate. How do I prevent this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application focus having a significant effect on application frame rate. How do I prevent this?: Hello, hope my description below is useful. thanks in advance to any/all responders.The Issue:We have 3 apps running in parallel, 2 are GPU intensive applications and one is CPU intensive only, for clarity ill call these CPUAPP1, GPUAPP1 and GPUAPP2. These apps are all...
  7. Application focus having a significant effect on application frame rate. How do I prevent this?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. SearchUI Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SearchUI Stealing Focus: Hi, I've recently started playing RDR2 but every few minutes SearchUI.exe steals focus from the game. From what I've read, you are unable to uninstall Cortana or rename to stop the process from running. Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to resolve? Windows...
  9. Focus stealing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus stealing: I have an application that has drop down menus for work. (like a status change from started to completed) And if I have the work application open, and I open any other application, Skype, Internet explorer, Chrome anything, AFTER the work app is running, I can no longer use...
  10. Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?: Windows 10 programs steal focus, a way to prevent from doing? Also what is the point? Does it serve a good purpose that I just don't see? *Confused 55662

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shellexperiencehost.exe stealing focus