Windows 10: How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?

Discus and support How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What steps do I follow to search for a file on my computer/drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Elizabeth Gerber, May 2, 2019.

1. How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?

What steps do I follow to search for a file on my computer/drive?

:)

Elizabeth Gerber, May 2, 2019

2. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Basically I'm searching a textures folder for any files with a name containing "Glasses"

Whenever I search "Glasses" it pull up files like

Glasses_M.dds

Glasses_d.dds

GlassesHorned_d.dds

However when I look through them manually I've found files like

FancyGlasses_d.DDS

Because "Glasses" isn't the first word in that file it doesn't come up in search....

Q: How do I do a search for everything containing the phrase and not just the files that start with the phrase?

Thanks for any and all help

RextTheGreat, May 2, 2019
  3. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 2, 2019
  4. Frank1000 Win User

How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?

Search in certain files

Hi,
    how can i search within the content of only certain files ?

Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm looking it up since 30 minutes but can't find anything.

I need to seach the term blabla in all .doc files, how is that syntaxed in the Win-Explorer search. Seems its nothing like it was in previous win8 version.

Thx,
    Frank

Frank1000, May 2, 2019
Thema:

How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?

1. How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name? - Similar Threads - search file containing

2. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?: In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the search box and I get thousands of documents that have "fund" somewhere in the text of the document....
  3. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?: In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?For example, I want to find a file with the character string "fund", I type "fund" in the search box and I get thousands of documents that have "fund" somewhere in the text of the document....
  4. In file explorer, how do I do a search only on file names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Searching folders that contain dots in the name

in Cortana
    Searching folders that contain dots in the name: I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. Each of these folders is being automatically added to the excluded list in search classic...
  6. How to search for files that contain a text phrase?

How to search for files that contain a text phrase?: how can I search for a file that contains a specified phrase, but may be in any directory or file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-search-for-files-that-contain-a-text-phrase/5044fb8d-6db8-4d94-8f0b-2d7d4dd3a556
  7. How do I search for files made on a certain date?

in Cortana
    How do I search for files made on a certain date?: My "Search Windows" box does not allow me to search by date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-search-for-files-made-on-a-certain-date/9bdd46d8-2ca6-4edc-8efc-b7eae594f65c
  8. Searching for files names containing symbols

in Cortana
    Searching for files names containing symbols: I have a folder containing files which I named with = in the name e.g. "Richmond Division====". They have anything from 1-6 ='s in the name. I want to be able to search for these files, say all the files with four ='s. When I try it comes up with no results. Is there a way...
  9. How do I search my computer for words within a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I search my computer for words within a file?: Couldn't follow the instructions on Google. I'm looking for a file with the words "Richard" and "quality" in it. Should be simple - but not for me. Could someone please guide me (exactly) on how to perform this search with screenshots? By the way, this file could also be the...
  10. Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer

Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer: I have to find a document(.docx format) containing a specific word by using the search options from the file explorer. eg: I wish to find a word containing the word "thank you" within my documents from file explorer. I have lots of document in that format on my PC. Anyone,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search with certain words