Windows 10: How do I search for a specific character in file explorer?

Discus and support How do I search for a specific character in file explorer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I found a folder that has thousands of numbered files and each number indicates something about the file. All the files have the same amount of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TonsterJl, Sep 8, 2020.

1. TonsterJl Win User

How do I search for a specific character in file explorer?

I found a folder that has thousands of numbered files and each number indicates something about the file. All the files have the same amount of numbers, 8 but I need to find all of the files that have a 5 as the 5th digit in the name. How do I go about searching for all the files that have a 5 as the 5th character in the name? Thanks.

:)

TonsterJl, Sep 8, 2020
  2. MRISAK Win User

Searching file names using wild characters

In searching File Explorer (Win10) the wild character "?" doesn't seem to work when searching for a file name. e.g. "?E1" doesn't produce a list of files having E1 as 2nd & 3rd character in file names. Used to work beautifully in Win 7.

MRISAK, Sep 8, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Sep 8, 2020
  4. THRONE945 Win User

File Explorer Search

I'm having trouble using file explorer quick search.

When opening a file in file explorer search bar and searching for specific files with similar names, Windows used to auotpopulate common characters in a drop down box. Now it only populates with recently used file names within the file selected.

Is there a way to change this so when doing a general search it populates with common characters inside a file in the drop down without pressing enter to actually open the file?

THRONE945, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I search for a specific character in file explorer? - Similar Threads - search specific character

2. How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...: Searching in Windows Explorer for files containing specific words or phrases seems to work only for Microsoft files. I need to search SPSS syntax files for where I've used a specific command. These files are simple text files yet a search for a common word such as "Save"...
  3. How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...: Searching in Windows Explorer for files containing specific words or phrases seems to work only for Microsoft files. I need to search SPSS syntax files for where I've used a specific command. These files are simple text files yet a search for a common word such as "Save"...
  4. How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?: How do I search specific file folders including their subfolders?I'm specifically wanting to search text within files that are documents via File Explorer....
  5. How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?: How do I search specific file folders including their subfolders?I'm specifically wanting to search text within files that are documents via File Explorer....
  6. List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.: TagSpace adds string names inside of brackets that are used as tags. Eg: report[jane pending].pdf. "jane" and “pending” are used as tags to find the file report.pdf. When using Win10 File Explorer to list the files in the folder containing report[jane pending].pdf, is there a...
  7. searching for a specific string in File Explorer

searching for a specific string in File Explorer: I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc. but now I would like to do a search or "01)." to find any I may have missed but when I search for that it gives me all...
  8. Searching specific files using File Explorer

Searching specific files using File Explorer: a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages. Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and...
  9. I need to search for specific words in File Explorer

I need to search for specific words in File Explorer: I need to search for two specific words ("ocean glass"). When I search on these two words I get a plethora of hits, none of which contain my short word string. What am I doing wrong, please?...
  10. How do I search for the % character

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I search for the % character: I would like to name some folders with a unique prefix that makes finding them easier. I chose %C as the folder name prefix. In my little test, I created some of these folders, and then attempted to use windows search to pull them all up. I find that windows search...