Windows 10: How do I search for files of type "shortcut?"

Discus and support How do I search for files of type "shortcut?" in Cortana to solve the problem; I found the Microsoft page describing Advanced Query Syntax for Windows Explorer file search, but it does not specifically address shortcut files and I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by GF1701, Oct 18, 2020.

1. GF1701 Win User

How do I search for files of type "shortcut?"

I found the Microsoft page describing Advanced Query Syntax for Windows Explorer file search, but it does not specifically address shortcut files and I can't figure out how to do it. I tried "kind: shortcut", but that just showed a few folders and files that had "shortcut" in the name. Then I tried "file kind: shortcut", but that finds nothing. Anyone know how to specify this search?

:)

GF1701, Oct 18, 2020
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.How do I search for files of type "shortcut?" :)

terrace, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Autumn20 Win User
    Shortcut key for "My Stuff" ?

Using Windows 10, here's the steps I'm taking to search for files on the computer:

• Click Start Menu (or tap the Windows key on the keyboard)
    • Start typing a search term
    • Click "My Stuff"
    • When it finds your file, click it to make the file open
    • If you want to open File Explorer and peruse similar files without opening files:
      • After clicking "My Stuff" (in Step 3) go to the bottom area under "Other places to look" and click "File Explorer"
      • File Explorer opens

Question: I don't want to use the mouse to click "My Stuff" in step 3. Is there a shortcut key?

Autumn20, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Autumn20 Win User

Shortcut key for "My Stuff" ?

Using Windows 10, here's the steps I'm taking to search for files on the computer:

• Click Start Menu (or tap the Windows key on the keyboard)
    • Start typing a search term
    • Click "My Stuff"
    • When it finds your file, click it to make the file open
    • If you want to open File Explorer and peruse similar files without opening files:
      • After clicking "My Stuff" (in Step 3) go to the bottom area under "Other places to look" and click "File Explorer"
      • File Explorer opens

Question: I don't want to use the mouse to click "My Stuff" in step 3. Is there a shortcut key?

Autumn20, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I search for files of type "shortcut?" - Similar Threads - search files type

2. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I search for files based on types? not extension: Hi. I want to search where I saved my screen record files which I forgetunfortunately, I can't remember in which format it was saved. So I need my search feature to search for any video created by this month.How do I do this? So not just one specific format like mp4/flv, etc,...
  3. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I search for files based on types? not extension: Hi. I want to search where I saved my screen record files which I forgetunfortunately, I can't remember in which format it was saved. So I need my search feature to search for any video created by this month.How do I do this? So not just one specific format like mp4/flv, etc,...
  4. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do I search by file type e.g. Word, Excel in Windows 10?

How do I search by file type e.g. Word, Excel in Windows 10?: How do I search in Windows 10, to receive a list of all files on my desktop PC that:-a contain the six digits "202305" in the filename; andb are Excel files?...
  6. How do I search by file type e.g. Word, Excel in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search by file type e.g. Word, Excel in Windows 10?: How do I search in Windows 10, to receive a list of all files on my desktop PC that:-a contain the six digits "202305" in the filename; andb are Excel files?...
  7. How do I search by file type e.g. Word, Excel in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How do I change file type ?

How do I change file type ?: I had to install a newer version of a program. Now when I open a folder, all the files still have the old image and it shows the file type as the old version, so when I try to open a particular file, it tries to open in the old version. How can I change the files to the new...
  9. How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?

How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?: I have some files (mainly spreadsheets) on the network and need to share some of those with managers I can share the link to the file by email quite easily, I can share the whole folder but dont want to. I Cant share a shortcut by email because Outlook removes it How do I...
  10. File type search?

in Windows 10 Support
    File type search?: Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I...