Windows 10: How do I search my computer for words within a file?

Discus and support How do I search my computer for words within a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Couldn't follow the instructions on Google. I'm looking for a file with the words "Richard" and "quality" in it. Should be simple - but not for me.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Nisko Win User

How do I search my computer for words within a file?

Couldn't follow the instructions on Google. I'm looking for a file with the words "Richard" and "quality" in it. Should be simple - but not for me. Could someone please guide me (exactly) on how to perform this search with screenshots? By the way, this file could also be the results of a scan in which the words wouldn't show up - but I'm hopeful I can find it. Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Mar 4, 2019

2. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 4, 2019
  3. RickC Win User
    Search

Can you be a little bit more specific about "I tried that"?

Did you:

1. Try the first suggestion?
    2. Try the second suggestion?
    3. Try both suggestions?
    4. Restart your PC/laptop/device after making each change (so the change would take effect)?
    Help us to help you...

RickC, Mar 4, 2019
  4. How do I search my computer for words within a file?

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

How do I search my computer for words within a file?

1. How do I search my computer for words within a file? - Similar Threads - search computer words

2. I need to search for specific words in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need to search for specific words in File Explorer: I need to search for two specific words ("ocean glass"). When I search on these two words I get a plethora of hits, none of which contain my short word string. What am I doing wrong, please?...
  3. Tenforums - Search and then search within results

in Windows 10 Support
    Tenforums - Search and then search within results: Up front: I haven't found a way of doing it, so I don't know if it is already possible. IF it is already possible, then below serves no purpose, but then again, I hope someone will tell me 'how to..' Is there a way to perform a search and then do a 2nd (maybe in case of...
  4. How do I get Word on my windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I get Word on my windows 10?: I had my hard drive replaced to Windows 10 but I don't know how to find word? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-get-word-on-my-windows-10/2c57a298-946a-4424-80c4-bb05db248024
  5. HOW DO I REMOVE WORD DOCS FROM FILES

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW DO I REMOVE WORD DOCS FROM FILES: HOW DO I REMOVE WORD DOCS FROM FILES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-remove-word-docs-from-files/02f3ad00-2e18-4ff8-a0cf-30babb89003c
  6. How to search WPD files converted to Word (2016)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to search WPD files converted to Word (2016): I just started using a computer with Windows 10 and Word 2016. I inserted a thumb drive containing hundreds of WPD files, and copied them to My Documents. I then converted them to Word. Here is the problem: I need to be able to search the converted files for certain terms...
  7. How do I search for the % character

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I search for the % character: I would like to name some folders with a unique prefix that makes finding them easier. I chose %C as the folder name prefix. In my little test, I created some of these folders, and then attempted to use windows search to pull them all up. I find that windows search...
  8. Why won't Cortana search my computer for files I am searching for?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why won't Cortana search my computer for files I am searching for?: When I search for files on my machine Cortana always goes to the web and never my machine. It has a header that says to turn indexing back on in blue but it does nothing. How can I get Cortana to search my machine for files I am looking for and not the web? 62854
  9. How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10???

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10???: When I had 8.1 on the right of my screen I could slide out a window that had a blue background and the first box was a search box. I could type in anything I wanted and it would search my computer for me . I Loved it!!!!!! There was settings, and power options I think....
  10. How do I fix File Folder Searching

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I fix File Folder Searching: I am using a Dell XPS 15 (9550) with an i7-6700HQ, and 16gb ram. This laptop is used as my main work desktop, so this is my mule. As of last month up until now, something changed and I don't understand what it could have been. My folder searching does NOT work. [img]...