Windows 10: How do I search my computer for words within a file?

Discus and support How do I search my computer for words within a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Couldn't follow the instructions on Google. I'm looking for a file with the words "Richard" and "quality" in it. Should be simple - but not for me.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Nisko Win User

How do I search my computer for words within a file?

Couldn't follow the instructions on Google. I'm looking for a file with the words "Richard" and "quality" in it. Should be simple - but not for me. Could someone please guide me (exactly) on how to perform this search with screenshots? By the way, this file could also be the results of a scan in which the words wouldn't show up - but I'm hopeful I can find it. Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Mar 4, 2019

2. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 4, 2019
  3. RickC Win User
    Search

Can you be a little bit more specific about "I tried that"?

Did you:

1. Try the first suggestion?
    2. Try the second suggestion?
    3. Try both suggestions?
    4. Restart your PC/laptop/device after making each change (so the change would take effect)?
    Help us to help you...

RickC, Mar 4, 2019
  4. How do I search my computer for words within a file?

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

How do I search my computer for words within a file?

1. How do I search my computer for words within a file? - Similar Threads - search computer words

2. How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...: Searching in Windows Explorer for files containing specific words or phrases seems to work only for Microsoft files. I need to search SPSS syntax files for where I've used a specific command. These files are simple text files yet a search for a common word such as "Save"...
  3. How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I search in Windows Explorer for a specific word contained in files that are not...: Searching in Windows Explorer for files containing specific words or phrases seems to work only for Microsoft files. I need to search SPSS syntax files for where I've used a specific command. These files are simple text files yet a search for a common word such as "Save"...
  4. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  5. How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?

How do I open a pdf file and search for text within that file?: I just bought a new laptop with windows 11 installed. When I double-click on a pdf file, it opens in Microsoft Edge. When I do a cl+f, it can't find the text in the file.I can't find the Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Apple Store. I am unable to find a good free app in the store...
  6. How do I search within a sticky note?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search within a sticky note?: You can search all through all of your notes from the note list to find the note with the search term, but how do you search within the sticky note that you have opened. I have tried using the shortcuts like CTRL-F, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is this even possible?...
  7. How do I search within a sticky note?

How do I search within a sticky note?: You can search all through all of your notes from the note list to find the note with the search term, but how do you search within the sticky note that you have opened. I have tried using the shortcuts like CTRL-F, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is this even possible?...
  8. How do I search within a sticky note?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Search in Windows 11 not searching within files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search in Windows 11 not searching within files: Since updating to Windows 11 have ongoing problem with search in file manager only searching document name, not contents. All search properties are set for searching content and I have done all recommended troubleshooting. At one point I managed to get it working after...
  10. How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I search for a file containing certain words in the name?: What steps do I follow to search for a file on my computer/drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-search-for-a-file-containing-certain/5f25bdfb-e98b-46e5-9a07-dfdcca8dcc22"