Windows 10: How do I select multiple open windows on Desktop?

Discus and support How do I select multiple open windows on Desktop? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Let us say I have four files open on Desktop. How do I select all of them?I have searched for answers, but they all only seem to address selecting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mwidunn, Jun 15, 2021.

1. mwidunn Win User

How do I select multiple open windows on Desktop?

Let us say I have four files open on Desktop. How do I select all of them?I have searched for answers, but they all only seem to address selecting multiple files in a folder using SHIFT or CTRL.I am talking about multiple open files on Desktop. I have tried using CTRL and, then, selecting the "title bar" with my mouse. Yes, I know, that is not what it is technically called, but . . . That, however, does not seem to work: only each open window is selected individually.Any help?Thanks!

:)

mwidunn, Jun 15, 2021

2. i cant open multiple apps on windows 10

Hi Jacklyn,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will certainly help you with this issue. 

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

• What happens when you try to open multiple apps?

• What exact error message are you get when you try to open multiple apps?

• Are you referring to Windows app or Desktop app?

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps:

• Open multiple apps that you want.

• Right click on the task bar.

• From the jump menu select Show all windows side by side.
    I also suggest you to run app troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

Please get back to us with the above information, so that we can assist you better.

Thank you.

JuzarAli1709, Jun 15, 2021
  3. Mala_S Win User
    virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jun 15, 2021
  4. xypha Win User

Open With on multiple files?

you can do this using a workaround by using "Send to" on the right click context menu in Windows File Explorer. Here's how

Step 1 - Add Chrome shortcut to SendTo folder so that chrome may appear in the send to menu.

SendTo folder:%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

This can be done in one of several ways. I will mention one of the easiest below.

• Right-drag the Google Chrome shortcut that was created on the Desktop when Chrome installed, or the Chrome shortcut in the Start menu, to the SendTo folder and select Copy.

Note: Right-click this shortcut, select Properties, and confirm that the Target field contains no command line options, just the path + file name for Chrome.

Step 2: Select the 16 JPGs, right click, go to "Send to" & select "Google Chrome".

That's it. All JPGs will open in Chrome, each in its own tab.

I use this with Firefox, but it should work with Chrome too.

How do I select multiple open windows on Desktop? AOrAC.png

Troubleshoot #1

If Google Chrome doesn't appear in the "Send to" menu, try restarting Windows File Explorer from Task Manager.

Troubleshoot #2

If the JPGs open in multiple windows, you might want to consider installing an extension in Chrome to prevent this behaviour. I suggest One Window.

xypha, Jun 15, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I select multiple open windows on Desktop? - Similar Threads - select multiple open

2. How do I un select always open with

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I un select always open with: I was trying to open a model for blender, but I accidentally chose a different program and had "always use this program", and now i cant open the model with blender, is there a way to undo that? Thanks...
  3. How do I un select always open with

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I un select always open with: I was trying to open a model for blender, but I accidentally chose a different program and had "always use this program", and now i cant open the model with blender, is there a way to undo that? Thanks...
  4. How to open the same program in multiple desktops?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to open the same program in multiple desktops?: Hi, I am using multiple virtual desktops in Windows 10. I want to open a program for example an excel file for work in one desktop. I want also to open another excel file for personal in a second desktop. So I get one excel file on each desktop. how do I do that?...
  5. How do I select multiple images for my background wallpaper?

How do I select multiple images for my background wallpaper?: I want to make a theme with multiple images so that they change automatically after a fixed amount of time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-select-multiple-images-for-my-background/c2dde53e-ac1a-4c25-88ac-f2761f021d8f
  6. open a folder on multiple desktops

open a folder on multiple desktops: Hello, I am trying to use my various desktops for different tasks, but some base folders I need on all desktops. How can I get windows to allow me to open those on all desktops without suddenly switching desktops on me when I am just trying to open a new folder? I have...
  7. How do I select multiple files in File Explorer for copy on a tablet?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I select multiple files in File Explorer for copy on a tablet?: I want to move pictures I have taken with my Windows 10 Tablet to an external usb. I can copy them one at a time, but I would like to be able to select several picture by hitting the ctrl key or the shift key, but when I bring up the on screen keyboard, that does not work. Is...
  8. Multiple Selection -> Open With?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Selection -> Open With?: Let's say I want to multiple files at once with a specific app. I selected multiple files, and then right click. Where is the open with option? How can I fix this? 31640
  9. How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Open Windows Explorer to Desktop by Default?: How do I get windows explorer to open up to the desired directory by default? I want to be able to open it to the Desktop directory. How do I do this? 92939
  10. How do I open multiple windows

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I open multiple windows: Hi Sometimes I like to have two web pages open at the same time. With windows 8 all I had to do was right click on the IE icon and the option to open another window was there, but that option isn't there in Windows 10. Any help much appreciated 18748