Windows 10: How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs?

Discus and support How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know how to "Apply to Folders" to set column widths for folders in Explorer. But how do I do the same for file save/open dialogs? I can change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamjamieq, Nov 11, 2020.

1. iamjamieq Win User

How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs?

I know how to "Apply to Folders" to set column widths for folders in Explorer. But how do I do the same for file save/open dialogs? I can change individual folders, and those changes seem to be persistent (though sometimes after the second or third try). But I can't seem to find how to change the default column widths for save/open dialogs. There's no option at all to apply to all folders and/or dialogs like there is in Explorer. Is this at all possible?

:)

iamjamieq, Nov 11, 2020
  2. iamjamieq Win User

I know how to "Apply to Folders" to set column widths for folders in Explorer. But how do I do the same for file save/open dialogs? I can change individual folders, and those changes seem to be persistent (though sometimes after the second or third try). But I can't seem to find how to change the default column widths for save/open dialogs. There's no option at all to apply to all folders and/or dialogs like there is in Explorer. Is this at all possible?

iamjamieq, Nov 11, 2020
  3. Farvatten Win User

Something I noticed recently with my Save As Dialogs is that it ignores my individual columns changes and uses whatever template is set under Right Click on Folders > Properties > Customize > Optimize this folder

For instance if I set my columns for the 'C:/Users' folder and set it for 'General Items' and checkbox 'Apply to subfolders' and THEN immediately go to the File Explorer Ribbon > View > Options > Change Folder and Search Options > View > Folder Views > and press the [Apply to Folders] button, it respects this 'General Items' column template for this type.

But any custom changes made to the individual folder after this will be ignored.

How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs? [​IMG]

Farvatten, Nov 11, 2020
  4. How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs? - Similar Threads - set default column

2. How do I set a default save location for files because whenever I save a file, it always...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I set a default save location for files because whenever I save a file, it always...: Hi, I've searched and tried almost everything:How do I set a default save location for files because whenever I save a file, it always saves at my last save location.Windows 10 ProI've tried:1. Settings > Storage > change default save location > apply2. Firefox > settings >...
  3. How do I set a default save location for files because whenever I save a file, it always...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set a default save location for files because whenever I save a file, it always...: Hi, I've searched and tried almost everything:How do I set a default save location for files because whenever I save a file, it always saves at my last save location.Windows 10 ProI've tried:1. Settings > Storage > change default save location > apply2. Firefox > settings >...
  4. How do I set a default save location for files because whenever I save a file, it always...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change Save-As dialog box default settings

Change Save-As dialog box default settings: I am frequently building PDFs from excel files as a compliance practice for invoice backups. When doing so, after changing my file type to .pdf, I always have to manually select "Minimum Size" and "Options - Publish What - Selection". Is there any way to set these two items...
  6. File Explorer Template Column Width

File Explorer Template Column Width: How do I change the Documents, Pictures, Music, and View templates? The existing templates are not particularly useful for those of us who use full-size monitors instead of cell phones. For example, the "Name" column in the Documents template is too narrow to be useful on...
  7. How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders

How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders: I know how to change the width, but my changes don't stick. The default in windows is 4 columns, and 2 of them truncate the data in them and need to be widened to see the full name/data of these columns. I have more than half of the width of this folder as unused,...
  8. Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs: Is it possible to reset the folder view settings and column widths in the Open and Save dialogs? I know how to do this in Explorer but can't find info that actually works for the open and save dialogs. According to several sites it should be just a matter of deleting the...
  9. How to set a default column width in windows explorer?

How to set a default column width in windows explorer?: Every time I open a folder, the Name column is too narrow and all contents display as "Part of the filenam...". This means navigating through a directory I have to: open > resize > open > resize > open > resize...I would like to set a default column width that is large, say...
  10. Open/save dialog boxes always default to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open/save dialog boxes always default to Desktop: How can I get Windows to show a different folder when these windows pop up? The stuff I'm trying to open/save is never on my desktop, and because it defaults to this I have to scroll up on the left to get to my quick access shortcuts. submitted by /u/DeafeningLure [link]...