Windows 10: How do I set different default printers for apps and programs in Windows 10?

Discus and support How do I set different default printers for apps and programs in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use several programs every day that require a lot of printing, but I need to use different printers for each of those programs and apps. Currently,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TWilson23, May 26, 2020.

1. TWilson23 Win User

How do I set different default printers for apps and programs in Windows 10?

I use several programs every day that require a lot of printing, but I need to use different printers for each of those programs and apps. Currently, every time I switch from one program to the next, I have to change the printer option and all the applicable settings. Having one default printer isn't helpful, as it requires me to have to reselect the printer options every time I need to switch from one app to another.

Is there a way to set up Windows 10 so it knows to automatically use a particular printer with the applicable settings for the various programs, apps, or websites I use?

:)

TWilson23, May 26, 2020

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 26, 2020
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Not able to set a printer as default.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand you are not able to
    set a printer as default
    . Please follow the suggestion provided by IdeActive (ignore other suggestions) on the thread:

cannot set printer as default again after installing Windows Office 10. lost your answer from last time.
    You may also check the steps provided in the article:

Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows 10

Note: The registry is a database in Windows that contains important information about system hardware, installed programs and settings, and profiles of each of the user accounts on the computer. Windows often reads and updates
    the information in the registry. Normally, software programs make registry changes automatically. You should not make unnecessary changes to the registry. Changing registry files incorrectly can cause Windows to stop working
    or make Windows report the wrong information.

Please take a backup of the registry. Follow the steps given in the link below.

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

If you need any further assistance, please write back with the following information:

1. What is that make and model number of the printer?
    2. Which operating system are you using?

Regards,

Naresh_K, May 26, 2020
  4. How do I set different default printers for apps and programs in Windows 10?

Windows 10 - Cannot Set Printer Default

Hi Marc,

I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot state and then try to make the default printer.

Perform clean boot to identify if any 3rd party service is causing this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow
    Step 3 from the link to start the computer to
    Normal startup mode.

Note: Also applies to Windows 10.

To make printer as a default printer you can follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key+ X and select
      device manager

• Select devices and printers

• Right click on the printer you want to use, and then click
      set as default printer (You'll see a check mark on the printer's icon signifying that it's now your default printer).
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, May 26, 2020
Thema:

How do I set different default printers for apps and programs in Windows 10?

1. How do I set different default printers for apps and programs in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - set different default

2. Is it possible to set different default printers on two different applications on windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to set different default printers on two different applications on windows?: I want to set printer 1 as my default for my Adobe application and printer 2 as my default for MS Word. Is this possible? submitted by /u/Raidho27 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kn9sr6/is_it_possible_to_set_different_default_printers/
  3. How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How change default "app" to a different, unlisted PROGRAM?: For file type .dng my system is currently stuck to Affinity Photo. I do not WANT .dng files to default there. I want them to default to Adobe Bridge. I cannot find a way to select the program I want. I set it to Photoshop 2020, but I DON'T WANT dng files automatically going...
  4. how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed: Hi, This hopefully will be an answer to one of the more simpler questions I have asked over a period. I have a Cannon Pixma mx350 printer and it alternates or the wifi does as to whether it is detected by windows 10 or not. At the moment I have it set up as a wifi...
  5. how do I change app settings in the default Windows 10 mail app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I change app settings in the default Windows 10 mail app?: I used to be able to change settings for this app but now the little cog wheel has disappeared and I can't find any other way to enter into the apps options. Note: I am not talking about Outlook....
  6. How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When using a laptop for both Office and home, we often have to switch printers. Windows 10 doesn’t offer an easy way to switch printer, […] This article How to set the Default Printer in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. how to set default programs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to set default programs in Windows 10: I know it is in the Control panel but I can't find it. How do I set a default web browser? And set default programs for other tasks? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-default-programs-in-windows-10/79a68042-698f-4250-937c-9ce9fc44cbb0
  8. How do I set All Default Apps?

How do I set All Default Apps?: I am trying to Set All defaults for my apps. But doing that is impossible. Going to settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Set Defaults By Apps takes me to this page. [ATTACH] I click on an app and I get this button. [ATTACH] Clicking on that button takes me to this...
  9. How do I set Windows to it's default settings?

How do I set Windows to it's default settings?: I am using windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-set-windows-to-its-default-settings/24530a82-b15f-4b57-a10c-8b3146961714
  10. Set Default Printer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Default Printer in Windows 10: How to: Set Default Printer in Windows 10 [img] Information A default printer is the printer that all print jobs are sent to by default unless otherwise specified. This tutorial will show you how to set a default printer for your account in Windows 10. CONTENTS:...