Windows 10: How do I set Hyper-V Virtual Machines for an user?

Discus and support How do I set Hyper-V Virtual Machines for an user? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello. I would like some assistance with a project I am working on. I want to let an user on the same Local PC have access to a Virtual Machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KennyGeneva8, May 16, 2019.

1. How do I set Hyper-V Virtual Machines for an user?

Hello.

I would like some assistance with a project I am working on.

I want to let an user on the same Local PC have access to a Virtual Machine through Hyper-V.

These created a number of questions:

What I want to do is to use a Virtual Machine in a restricted user account.

I noticed I can create a VM on a restricted account through Quick Create, which is great, but I want to use a VM I already created or if possible to create VM in a restricted group and keep using that VM continuously in that account.

I would like to know if this is possible.

I read that I can add a local user to the hyper-v administrator group but I am running Virtualization based Security / Isolated Core using Windows Security, therefore, I do not wish to add a user if this raises security concerns.

To me, security is very important so I do not wish to add a user to the group if this in turn creates a vulnerability because as far as I know Hyper-V services that also control Isolated Core to some extent.

In short, I am not sure what would happen if I let a user into this group, what I want is to use a VM as a standrard user without the need to be logged in an administrative account.

Once again, any input is appreciated greatly.

And thank you all again for your advice.

Kind Regards.

-Kenny.

:)

KennyGeneva8, May 16, 2019
  2. Pauli O Win User

Hyper V Import Virtual Machine

There is separate default folders for Virtual Machines and Virtual Hard Disks

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V

This folder contains all settings for each Virtual machines.

Have you changed that folder?

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks

This folder contains only virtual disks. On your case it's changed to E:\HyperV\...

When you want import VM you need to search it from that first location.

You can check this location from Hyper-V settings.

If you can't import existing VM's you can create 3 new Virtual Machines.

When creating those select option Use existing Virtual Disk and point disks from E:\HyperV\...

Pauli O, May 16, 2019
  3. SarahKong Win User
    SarahKong, May 16, 2019
  4. How do I set Hyper-V Virtual Machines for an user?

Mark St..., May 16, 2019
Thema:

How do I set Hyper-V Virtual Machines for an user?

1. How do I set Hyper-V Virtual Machines for an user? - Similar Threads - set Hyper Virtual

2. How do I set up a new virtual machine in Hyper-V manager that utilizes shielded machine...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set up a new virtual machine in Hyper-V manager that utilizes shielded machine...: I know it's a checkbox solution, but it's not. Whenever I try to click shielded machine, the machine won't start. Do I need to have specific machine settings? I am trying to setup a Linux vm....
  3. How do I set up a new virtual machine in Hyper-V manager that utilizes shielded machine...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set up a new virtual machine in Hyper-V manager that utilizes shielded machine...: I know it's a checkbox solution, but it's not. Whenever I try to click shielded machine, the machine won't start. Do I need to have specific machine settings? I am trying to setup a Linux vm....
  4. How do I set up a new virtual machine in Hyper-V manager that utilizes shielded machine...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi all, I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It's configured to use Hyper-V's "Default Switch" network adapter, but for some reason, the VM doesn't seem to get internet access. My computer is connected to the Internet (both through Wi-Fi and Ethernet). I've...
  6. Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error: While starting the Vistual Machine i am facing the below error shown in Event Viewer. Plz Help me out to resolve this problem. License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code: hr=0x8007232B Command-line arguments:...
  7. Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine: Suddenly, Hyper V would not connect to any Virtual Machine using the Virtual Machine Connection. I trying creating new VMs and nothing worked. I am using Windows 10 Education....
  8. Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines: How to: Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines Running Windows on a virtual machine can naturally never be as fast as same version of Windows on same computer running on physical hardware. However, by tweaking virtual machine settings, you can greatly impact the speed and...
  9. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...
  10. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...