Windows 10: How do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..?

Discus and support How do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 for work. Mostly used from graphics and design work, occasionally web browsing. It has two HDD, Windows C drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jonrosling, Dec 19, 2019.

1. How do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..?

I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 for work. Mostly used from graphics and design work, occasionally web browsing.

It has two HDD, Windows C drive at 118GB and the Local D drive at 931GB

I only have 3.8GB spare on the C:/ but there is 899GB spare on the D:/

I want to use C:/ as the OS drive only and have all of the programs stored/installed on D:/

I'd also like to store things like Documents, Downloads, etc. as well as the local copy of our Google Drive on D

Is there way of doing this that is relatively easy? I have a good degree of knowledge in using the PC but would rather utilise a piece of software to do the legwork for me.

Spec of PC is:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core Processor 3.2GHx 16 GB RAM 64 bit OS X64 based processor Windows Home 10 Version 1809 OS build 17763.914

C:/ 118GB (3.8GB free) D:/ 931GB (899GB free)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

edit: Just to point out, C and D are separate physical disks, not virtual drives on the same disk.

submitted by /u/jonrosling
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jonrosling, Dec 19, 2019
  2. rpp2119 Win User

sfc copied C:\Program Files to D: drive

Okay, so here's a little background information:

I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD that is not large enough to hold all of my installed software. So, I have another D: drive where I install all 3rd party programs. I went into regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and
    changed ProgramFilesDir & ProgramFilesDir (x86) to point to D:\Program Files & D:\Program Files (x86), respectively.

Now, I have been having problems over the last few days with Windows Update installing (KB3081444). After exhausting several options, I decided to run
    sfc /scannow, in an attempt to solve whatever problem Windows Update is having. Well, this led to sfc basically duplicating all of the Windows C:\Program Files & C:\Program Files (x86) to my D: drive.

I neither want nor need these files on my D: drive, but I cannot delete them because it tells me I need permission from TrustedInstaller.

I'm not really sure what to do here (most of my experience has been in Linux), but I would like to remove these files from my D: drive and somehow point sfc to run this operation on C: rather than D:.

Any help would be appreciated, and let me know if you need more info from me.

Thanks.

rpp2119, Dec 19, 2019
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Dec 19, 2019
  4. How do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..?

save programs to Drive D

i have 2 drives (CHow do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..? :)and (DHow do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..? :). My C is ssd and its for my system or OS and its storage is limited only so i want to use my Drive D because its 1 terabyte. So what i want is that the programs (like skype, steam) that i download from google chrome or internet
    explorer to be saved in my drive D not in C.

JagjitKingra, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

How do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..?

1. How do I set my C:/ drive exclusively as the OS drive, with other file/programs on D:/ ..? - Similar Threads - set drive exclusively

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  4. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I transfer all my OS files to my drive D. All the files in OS drive are windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer all my OS files to my drive D. All the files in OS drive are windows...: The files on the OS drive are preinstalled windows data such as program files or dell files and they're on the drive and its full. If I selected all of them and copied it to my :D drive will it effect my computer? I've seen some people do experiments like deleting all the...
  6. How do I transfer all my OS files to my drive D. All the files in OS drive are windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I transfer all my OS files to my drive D. All the files in OS drive are windows...: The files on the OS drive are preinstalled windows data such as program files or dell files and they're on the drive and its full. If I selected all of them and copied it to my :D drive will it effect my computer? I've seen some people do experiments like deleting all the...
  7. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?: HelloI Have my C: drive 120 GB and my D Drive 335 GBmy C: Drive is now only on 35 GB free, and this is programs aloneIs there away that I move old programs to D: drive? even if I have to uninstall them and reinstall them??Also, in PC health check, I found the following photo,...
  8. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?: HelloI Have my C: drive 120 GB and my D Drive 335 GBmy C: Drive is now only on 35 GB free, and this is programs aloneIs there away that I move old programs to D: drive? even if I have to uninstall them and reinstall them??Also, in PC health check, I found the following photo,...
  9. Can i move all of the program files in the C: drive into a D: drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can i move all of the program files in the C: drive into a D: drive?: i recently found out that i had a bigger drive D: in my system that wasn't activated, and I was wondering if I could move everything in the C: drive into the D: drive without messing everything up? there's hardly any space left on the C: drive while there's 500 gigabytes...
  10. How to change file path from C drive (OS) to D drive (storage)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change file path from C drive (OS) to D drive (storage): I have just bought a dell inspiron operating with windows 10. The default settings were to save files to the C drive which was home to apps, general settings etc. I want to be able to save all my files, photos, music etc to the D drive which is 1TB of storage. I have tried...