Windows 10: How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary?

Discus and support How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, Today, I tried to remove my old windows 7 (installed in drive D), dual booted with window 10. However, I couldn't remove it because it was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Diggs, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Diggs Win User

How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary?

Hi all,
    Today, I tried to remove my old windows 7 (installed in drive D), dual booted with window 10.
    However, I couldn't remove it because it was a System, Active, and Primary Partition.
    And my Default Windows 10 drive C was Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, and Logical Drive (as shown in the picture)
    Can anybody please help me out removing windows 7 and setting windows 10 drive as primary and active?

:)

Diggs, Dec 23, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows 10 How do I set the Local D drive as the default drive?

If you have a folder of Photos, or other data folders move those first.

You may want to make folders for special documents and move the proper documents to the new folder.

Then if the files are really on the (DHow do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary? :) drive you can erase them from the (CHow do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary? :) drive.

Make a folder for Downloads and move the download files there.

lacrumb, Dec 23, 2015
  3. Windows 10 How do I set the Local D drive as the default drive?

My Local C drive is full so I want to set the Local D drive as my default drive for all my downloads to go to how do I do that? I'm running windows 10 right now.

Jake Bangot, Dec 23, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the easiest way to manipulate partitions like that is to use a 3rd party partition manager, in particular the boot disk from one.

Here's one:
    Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

Once you have that and have configured your PC to boot from it, you should be able to manipulate your partitions appropriately.

Here's a guide that should help.
    Dual Boot - Delete a OS - Windows 7 Help Forums

You may find you have to run Startup Repair from a Win 10 installation medium.

dalchina, Dec 24, 2015
  5. Type msconfig in the run box and you can set Windows 10 as your default OS and remove the boot entry from seven there. You can do whatever you want with the seven partition from within Disk Management.

cyberrufus, Dec 24, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That won't help the OP because the partition the computer is booting from is located on a hard drive that he wants to remove/reformat.

NavyLCDR, Dec 24, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Diggs, with both hard drives installed, install EasyBCD:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Scroll down on the webpage, click register, then just click download, you don't need to enter email address or name.

Then under the BCD Backup/Repair menu, select change boot drive. Move your BCD to the first partition on the Windows 10 disk - the one marked D: drive 29.29GB in your disk management screenshot. Then you should be good to go. Of course don't reformat the Windows 7 hard drive until you are sure you are booting with the single Windows 10 hard drive.

Changing the Boot Partition

NavyLCDR, Dec 24, 2015
  8. How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary?

He can change the default OS and then boot into 10.

cyberrufus, Dec 24, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You do not understand his situation. His computer is currently booting from a hard drive that he wants to remove. The boot files need to be moved off the hard drive he wants to remove and onto the hard drive he wants to leave installed. It doesn't matter how much he changes the boot menu on his old drive, which is what you are suggesting. because when he removes the old drive he will still be left without a partition to boot from.

NavyLCDR, Dec 24, 2015
  10. Perhaps you're correct because I read it as simply an attempt to get rid of 7 and the partition it was on. Seems like a pretty basic dual-boot issue to me.

cyberrufus, Dec 24, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Wait.... you are more correct than I am How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary? :). The OP wants to remove the partition that the boot files are located on, not a hard drive the boot files are located on. Your solution is a partial solution because it will get rid of the Windows 7 entry in the boot menu but still won't allow him to delete the Windows 7 partition because the boot files will still be on it.

He can't move the boot files to any of the other partitions because they are logical partitions and you can't boot from logical partitions. So on to the real solution How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary? :)

NavyLCDR, Dec 24, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Alright Diggs, here's what you really need to do, now that cyberrufus has shown me the real situation. Install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Shrink your Windows 7 partition by 500mb, creating the empty space in front of it. That will make 500mb empty space at the front of the disk. Create a FAT32 Primary partition in the empty space. Assign it a drive letter like T for temporary. (only the drive letter will be temporary, not the partition). You can do all that in Partition Wizard Free.

After you get an empty T: drive on the 500mb FAT32 primary partition at the front of the disk, then go back to post #5 and use EasyBCD to move the boot files from D: drive to T: drive. Once that is done and booting up, then you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to remove the T: drive letter - NOT THE PARTITION! just the drive letter assigned to it!. Then you can remove the D: drive partition - or reformat it for data or whatever. Honestly - your hard drive is a mess with all those logical partitions.

I bolded and underlined MB to make sure you see it is 500mb we are creating - not 500gb!

NavyLCDR, Dec 24, 2015
  13. How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary?

I somehow missed the fact he's dealing with a logical partition so it's not all that basic. Early and perhaps I need some more coffee.

cyberrufus, Dec 24, 2015
  14. caperjack Win User
    hello, do you have win7 installed on a 30 gig hdd or a 30gig partition of another drive ,,I will not suggest you do what I did to remove a duel, ijust formatted the win7 partition and rebooted ,of course it didn't boot because of the lack of mbr ,but booting to win10 dvd and running bootup repair ,fixed it for me

caperjack, Dec 24, 2015
  15. Diggs Win User
    Hey, i really didnt get this line "Once that is done and booting up, then you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to remove the T: drive letter - NOT THE PARTITION! just the drive letter assigned to it!."

Diggs, Dec 25, 2015
Thema:

1. How do i set my Windows 10 Drive as primary? - Similar Threads - set Drive primary

2. how do i change the primary drive C: Disc to another drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i change the primary drive C: Disc to another drive?: i have a hp elite x2 laptop and i recently switched this laptop into windows 11 and made a new drive but i accidentally made the primary drive have less space so i'm wondering how i can do it. I would appreciate if anyone would tell because i am new to laptops....
  3. How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?: My OS SSD is failing SMART failure according to startup error. Thus I have installed a second SSD on my Asus F15 laptop. I used AOMEI Backupper to clone my OS SSD to the new SSD, and was successful in cloning and unlocking the new SSD. However, the cloned SSD will not show up...
  4. How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?

How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?: My OS SSD is failing SMART failure according to startup error. Thus I have installed a second SSD on my Asus F15 laptop. I used AOMEI Backupper to clone my OS SSD to the new SSD, and was successful in cloning and unlocking the new SSD. However, the cloned SSD will not show up...
  5. Corrupted primary HD with Windows 10. Want to replace primary drive, how do I without...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Corrupted primary HD with Windows 10. Want to replace primary drive, how do I without...: Hi thereAs title states, currently running Windows 10 OS. Product key = Retail channelThis drive is on it's last legs and I want to swap this 500gb SSD for a new 2TB M2. How would I go about reinstalling windows like this? I don't have access to the original key as it's been...
  6. Corrupted primary HD with Windows 10. Want to replace primary drive, how do I without...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted primary HD with Windows 10. Want to replace primary drive, how do I without...: Hi thereAs title states, currently running Windows 10 OS. Product key = Retail channelThis drive is on it's last legs and I want to swap this 500gb SSD for a new 2TB M2. How would I go about reinstalling windows like this? I don't have access to the original key as it's been...
  7. Corrupted primary HD with Windows 10. Want to replace primary drive, how do I without...

8. Is it possible to Set my D drive as Primary?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to Set my D drive as Primary?: Hello - After installing a new HDD, I find things might work better for me if I can make my D:\ partition the primary, rather than using the C:\ partition? How can I do that if it's possible?TIA...
  9. Is it possible to Set my D drive as Primary?

Is it possible to Set my D drive as Primary?: Hello - After installing a new HDD, I find things might work better for me if I can make my D:\ partition the primary, rather than using the C:\ partition? How can I do that if it's possible?TIA...
  10. Is it possible to Set my D drive as Primary?

in Windows 10 Customization