Windows 10: How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer

Discus and support How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have set up a private network and a mapped drive on another network computer. I can see the mapped drive from the my PC in my network locations. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LeeWillett, Dec 14, 2019.

1. How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer

I have set up a private network and a mapped drive on another network computer. I can see the mapped drive from the my PC in my network locations. When I try to open the mapped drive from my PC, I get a "Windows cannot access this device" since I do not have permission error. The drive is set with read/write permissions on it's computer and I can find no settings on my computer to provide permissions for that device. How can I turn on the appropriate permissions to use the drive?

:)

LeeWillett, Dec 14, 2019
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Ross211 Win User
    Remote access to my (local) server's folders

But what if he tries to access this mapped drive when he is not on the same subnet of his server ?

Ross211, Dec 14, 2019
  4. How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer

Unable to map Network Shares Windows 10

Hi,
    I've got 2 Western Digital Network drives hard wired on my network, a My Book World and an EX2.

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've had intermittent problems viewing and setting network drives. I've read a lot of other posts and tried a number of things suggested without success. WD Support have run out of ideas.

The WD Discovery tool finds the Network drives, but the box to map network drive is greyed out. I can access the desktop control panel from my browser. If I try to add a network location the drives are not listed. If I try to add the drive letter L: \\WDMYCLOUDEX2\Public the network path is not found?

I have another Windows 10 computer on the network which can access the drives without issue - so it must be a setting on my PC. Tried disabling my Kaspersky security - still not being seen?

I suspect that this has been as a result of a windows upgrade?

Anybody had similar issues?

Stormstorr, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer

1. How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer - Similar Threads - set security access

2. How to set permissions for mapped drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set permissions for mapped drive: On my windows 10 system, I configured the directory c:\users\public\documents\mydir to allow me full control, and I mapped that path to drive letter z. I observe that whenever I attempt to access directories using the mapped syntax, e.g. edit z:\my_file, mkdir z:\foo, I...
  3. Network Error You do not have permissions to access mapped network drive after

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Error You do not have permissions to access mapped network drive after: Any user that logs into a specific Windows 10 laptop gets the message in the attached image. We can disconnect the network drive mapping and manually remap it and then we have access. All my users get 2 network drive mapped H & I at login, but on this particular laptop no...
  4. how to access a file on another computer on my network

how to access a file on another computer on my network: how to access a file on another computer on my network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-a-file-on-another-computer-on-my/e78a8b3e-f5d5-478a-a12f-1fe718d68b4a
  5. how do I connect my computer to another computer on my network

how do I connect my computer to another computer on my network: I can connect one computer (A) to another computer (B), but cannot connect B to A. Both are using Windows 10, but B is home version while A is pro version....
  6. How do I map network drive when connected to VPN at home?

How do I map network drive when connected to VPN at home?: Hi, I'm currently at work and would like to map a network folder (music) located on my Synology NAS back home. I'm connected to my home network via a VPN server in my Asus router. The NAS is located at IP 192.168.1.111 I am not able to connect to the NAS and this network...
  7. Map Network Drive

Map Network Drive: What to do with the following error: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available. Make sure your device is connected to your organization's network...
  8. Getting Access to another network drive

Getting Access to another network drive: I have four computers on my network. I store all my files on one of the computers and the other three were able to access that computer whenever they needed to. I just replaced Verizon with Comcast but after they left I realized that I could no longer access the computer...
  9. Without SMB, how do we map a network drive?

Without SMB, how do we map a network drive?: In all Synology-diskstations, SMB is the way of accessing files on Windows machines. When Microsoft has decided that Win10 no longer support SMB (and you cannot enable it), how are people supposed to access files on private network storage (private as in not being Dropbox,...
  10. I need to map a drive to the D: drive on another computer

I need to map a drive to the D: drive on another computer: I want to map a drive letter to the D: (hard) drive on another computer, I don't see it in the Map network drive Browse window. 78219

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to let a user access his mapped drive when connect to vpn