Windows 10: How do I set shares using Ms Account - Works fine when LOCAL account

Discus and support How do I set shares using Ms Account - Works fine when LOCAL account in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Using a LOCAL account I have no problem with Shares -- how do I set these now using an Ms account. Samba just times out trying to access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 1, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

How do I set shares using Ms Account - Works fine when LOCAL account

Hi there

Using a LOCAL account I have no problem with Shares -- how do I set these now using an Ms account.

Samba just times out trying to access Windows machine where I'm logged on with an Ms account. Also I can't access other Windows machines from the Ms account. The other Windows machines can't access the Windows machine where I'm logged on with an Ms account.

All these problems DISAPPEAR when using a LOCAL account.

I think my future strategy will be just keep a MINIMAL Windows VM with an Ms account to GET the insider builds and then revert back to Local accounts.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 1, 2015
  2. KianTamar Win User

Microsoft account doesn't work

In Windows 10 (also 8 & 8.1) when I use Microsoft Account for authentication instead of a local account, then file sharing and remote desktop won't work.

I can't use my Microsoft Account username and password to access my computer whether it's file sharing or remote desktop. Switching back to a Local account and using local account's username and password solves the issue.

Can anyone tell me why and is it possible to fix it using a Microsoft Account?

BTW:

• I've tried clean installation of windows (8, 8.1 and most recently 10)
    • I type my username and password correctly
    • I know how to use file sharing and setting up permissions and everything
    • I know how to use remote desktop
    • Everything works just fine with a local account. Only when I switch to Microsoft Account this happens.
    Thanks

KianTamar, Jul 1, 2015
  3. Local accounts not working with W10

I log into the laptop I let my young children use as the administrator and I use my MS account. My children have standard local accounts on that laptop. When I upgraded to Windows 10 at first everything was fine. Then shortly after the my children could
    not log on using their accounts. It kept saying they weren't part of the MS family and to check with the administrator. When I went to the administrator options in the accounts look fine except that in order to be part of the family they need to have MS
    accounts. I do not want to set up MS accounts for my children. Why can't they use their local accounts to log on as in the past?

W10Accountissues, Jul 1, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

No. Just the standard Ms account password -- I even tested it by making the password the same as the local account -- No joy either.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 1, 2015
  5. besb Win User
    Same here.
    10159 using ms account plus pin, I can't see NAS server shares.
    Revert to a local account - shares all appear on the network.
    We have a bug*Sleepy
    Obviously MS wants us to use One drive!!
    NOWAY, I want to be in control of my own data.

besb, Jul 1, 2015
  6. besb Win User
    Update 101059 shares starting with loacal account
    tried update but had to use Ms account to check for updates.
    Did so but immediately lost all NAS shares again.
    We have a choice sign in with MS account and loose shares or loose updates and keep shares
    I cant find bug reporting - where is it now.
    On a similar note on pin numbers they claim that a pin is more secure because they have to steal your pc like a credit card as the pin is locked to your pc. What utter tripe!!! what if they are just sitting in front of it, my pc is not sitting in a locked room or put away in my pocket. What if you are in a work environment with 20 or so PC's sitting there. A desktop is not a handheld device.

besb, Jul 1, 2015
  7. besb Win User
    Fixed with 10162, thank you MS

besb, Jul 2, 2015
  8. sgage Win User

Not for me.

sgage, Jul 4, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Not for me either, shares come and go with 10162.

Ztruker, Jul 5, 2015
  10. egdp Win User
    Shares only work for me with a local account.
    Using my MS account - no chance.
    Switch to local - no problems.
    Running 10162.

11. mn072065 Win User
    i have been reading all these shares problems, i do not have win 10 install yet, reserved it. I have now win 8.1 and i have been for pass 2 months going crazy because i see my shared folders and then i lose them. All this time i have it set to local, but reading more in this wonderful forum im learning alot more about local account vs ms account. Now im wondering for my home if i just needed the ms account on in order to see all my shares, but i wont switch to one since im planning to reformat clean install win 10 pro and hope my sharing problems go away, but slowly im learning the differences between local vs ms account. I believe if i have read correctly ms account is better to have.

mn072065, Jul 6, 2015
  12. egdp Win User
    mn072065. I cannot speak for you but since I want to be able to access shares, I have no choice but to use a local account. I hope this problem will be fixed and I can go back to an MS account.

13. mn072065 Win User

I too want to access my shared files, i have 4 HD enclosures with 4 HD in them, i can access my shared files sometimes sometimes i can't which is so frustrating, im hoping a reformat and using MS account will fix that.

mn072065, Jul 6, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    So far the opposite seems to be true. Use a local account and all works. Use a MS account and problems start.

Ztruker, Jul 7, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Update.

Problem Still not fixed on 10162 --thought someome might have come up with a solution.

The problem exists both in the PRO version (running on a laptop) and the ENTERPRISE version (running on a desktop).

All works fine when running on a local account. With an Ms account I can't even SEE the other computers on the network -- I should at least be able to see a computer and get at least the password prompt for accessing the share (if password protected).

As well as Windows to Windows problems when trying to access Shares from a WINDOWS computer running an Ms account LINUX also has a problem with a Windows machine where the user is logged on with an Ms account.

SAMBA (Linux) can SEE the Windows computer but if it's logged on with an ms account (the Windows machine ) SAMBA just issues a message for example "D does not exist" if it's shared drive D you are trying to access. SAMBA works fine when windows computer is logged on with a LOCAL account.

Note all systems on the network are running 64 bit OS'es (including the Linux server), apart from a Windows XP VM which is not always up. Total number of machines on LAN = 6.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 7, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I set shares using Ms Account - Works fine when LOCAL account - Similar Threads - set shares using

2. How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?: I'm trying to change the "Local Account" status on a laptop PC. The option on the Settings -> Accounts page is to "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". When I try to do that, the system also asks for my Windows 11 password which I don't have.How can I fix this problem...
  3. How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?: I'm trying to change the "Local Account" status on a laptop PC. The option on the Settings -> Accounts page is to "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". When I try to do that, the system also asks for my Windows 11 password which I don't have.How can I fix this problem...
  4. Mistake when change MS account to Local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mistake when change MS account to Local account: After staring my new ASUS installed with Win 11Home Smode using my MS account by mistake when wanted to change my MS account as a local account I missed the settings window with password etc that window closed immediately and now my laptop is a black box and I can not login ....
  5. Mistake when change MS account to Local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mistake when change MS account to Local account: After staring my new ASUS installed with Win 11Home Smode using my MS account by mistake when wanted to change my MS account as a local account I missed the settings window with password etc that window closed immediately and now my laptop is a black box and I can not login ....
  6. Connect my MS account or use Local account..?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connect my MS account or use Local account..?: Another compelling reason to use an MS account is that your digital licence gets linked to your hardware id, making it easier to reactivate in even pc fails to activate due to a hardware change/issue.
  7. Using Local and MS accounts

Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  8. Using MS account on a local account for games..

Using MS account on a local account for games..: I have a laptop and there are two users created......one (A) with admin status and a MS account. The other is (B) with a local account credentials. B has no MS account. Can I install games from Windows store on B's login account using my MS account? ...and perhaps some...
  9. Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts: Hi there I'm surprised nobody has posted this solution before -- If you have computers with Local and Ms accounts you will often see the login panel prompting for a user name when trying to access the Shares on the computer with the MS account FROM the one with the local...
  10. Please Ms FIX the shares issue when using an MS account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please Ms FIX the shares issue when using an MS account: Hi there as Ms people obviously read these excellent Forums -- please seriously sort out the Networking issues some of us (a lot actually) have with accessing shares on our LANS when using logged on with an Ms account. The networking seems to work fine when using a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. family access shares with ms account