Windows 10: How do I set the default level on a microphone in windows 10?

Discus and support How do I set the default level on a microphone in windows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there! I have a blue snowball USB microphone. When I plug it in, it sets the microphone level to 36. This is too low. I can easy adjust this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Geoffpp, May 1, 2020.

1. Geoffpp Win User

How do I set the default level on a microphone in windows 10?

Hi there!

I have a blue snowball USB microphone.

When I plug it in, it sets the microphone level to 36. This is too low.

I can easy adjust this through the levels tab in sound control panel > recording devices > properties.

But it's a bit silly that I have to adjust it every time I unplug the microphone - I'm using it with a laptop so I unplug it with some regularity.

Is there a way to set a specific default level other than 36?

Thanks!

Geoffrey

:)

Geoffpp, May 1, 2020

2. Error: "You need to set up microphone in settings" while trying to access microphone on Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issue with accessing the microphone on your device, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to refer to the below post replied by Wasim Asad
    on August 18, 2015 to setup microphone on your device and check if it helps.

Cortana can’t hear me – Microphone level keeps getting set to
    zero.

Also, In order to check if your microphone is set to the default value, you must check it from the “Recording” tab.

To access this option, follow these steps:

• Right click on the volume icon and select Recording Devices.
    • In the window that opens, select the device which has the status Ready.
    • Click on the Set Default from the bottom of the window.
    • If you’ve done this correctly you should see the green mark on the correct microphone and audio level reacting to sound.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the microphone for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 1, 2020
  3. Cortana can’t hear me – Microphone level keeps getting set to zero.

There is a known issue in Windows 10 that may cause the microphone gain to be set to zero.
    We are currently investigating a fix and are hoping to release an update soon.

In the meantime, you can use the following troubleshooting steps to work around the issue.
    Use these steps in general whenever you are having trouble getting Cortana to hear you on your microphone,

Run the Microphone Setup Wizard

• Type “Set up Mic” in Cortana’s Search box.

• Follow the instructions provided to set up your microphone.
    Check your microphone’s drivers

• Type in “Device Manager” in the Search box and select it from the list.

• Expand Sound, video and game controllers

• Right-click (or tap and hold) your microphone device and select
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
      This option will scan the Internet for the correct version of the driver or determine if you already have the most recent driver installed.
      You may be prompted to restart your computer to install the driver.
    Manually turn up the mic gain

• Type in “Sound” in the Search box and select
      Sound (Control Panel)
      from the list.

• Select the Recording tab.

• Right-click (or tap and hold) on the active microphone input device and select
      Properties.

• Select the Levels tab.
    Manually drag the Microphone gain to a higher level and click
    Apply.

Wasim Asad, May 1, 2020
  4. How do I set the default level on a microphone in windows 10?

Microphone not working Windows 10

Hi Perry,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If a mic connected to this computer isn’t working properly then it’s likely a settings problem.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom-right part of the screen.

• Click on ‘Recording Devices‘.

• A list of recording devices will appear. Try speaking into your microphone, and see if there any
      green bars rising next to one of them while you talk.

• If you don’t see any green bars skip to step 5.

• Check if you can recognize which one of the devices in the list is your
      microphone. If you found it, click on it to highlight it, and then click
      Set Default.

• Check again if you see green bars rising when you talk into the microphone. If you do your mic is now correctly setup. If not, continue to next step.

• Double-click on the device that represents your microphone. The
      Microphone Properties window will appear. Click the Levels tab.

• In the levels tab, drag the slider all the way to the right, until the number on the right says “100“.

• Click OK and check if it helps.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 1, 2020
Thema:

How do I set the default level on a microphone in windows 10?

1. How do I set the default level on a microphone in windows 10? - Similar Threads - set default level

2. How to set the default Zoom level in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to set the default Zoom level in Microsoft Edge: [IMG]Microsoft Edge is one of the widely used web browsers on Windows with several customization and accessibility features. One of its many Accessibility features is the ability to set the default zoom level for web pages. It allows you to open websites with magnified or...
  3. How to set a fixed microphone level in settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set a fixed microphone level in settings?: I set the audio mic level to 50. I come back to check it a bit later, it has randomly pumped up to 70's or 80's. I set it to 100 and use a -10db cut filter on the preinput EquilizerAPO, come back, and the level has lowered to the 60's or 70's. I have tried special effects on...
  4. How to set a fixed microphone level in settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set a fixed microphone level in settings?: I set the audio mic level to 50. I come back to check it a bit later, it has randomly pumped up to 70's or 80's. I set it to 100 and use a -10db cut filter on the preinput EquilizerAPO, come back, and the level has lowered to the 60's or 70's. I have tried special effects on...
  5. Set to default microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Set to default microphone: How do I reset to the default microphone in Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-to-default-microphone/decf06c1-bbf6-4901-907d-3f5f5e9242b3
  6. How do I change Microphone level setting from linea log to Db

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change Microphone level setting from linea log to Db: I am trying to adjust the input level for an audio testing microphone to 9.9db, but the log scale is 0 to 100, not measured in Db. How do I change the scale so I can correctly adjust the levels? Windows 10 on MSI GF63...
  7. Microphone level is set to 0?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone level is set to 0?: Hello, I have a headset that has served me faithfully for five years. Until now I never had any problems, but today some people came up and said I was ultra quiet. After that I came to the level setting in the sound device tab under Windows. I just set the level to 100 (it...
  8. My microphone level setting keep resetting itself to 100 (How Do I Fix This?)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My microphone level setting keep resetting itself to 100 (How Do I Fix This?): So I have been experiencing this problem for awhile now and it gets really annoying. My level settings on my main microphone keep getting changed to random numbers (only recently has it been resetting to 100). I usually keep it at 79 so I don't ear rape people I am in a call...
  9. How do I set a default

How do I set a default: I want to set Libre office but it keeps going back to WPS, how can I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-a-default/e3bb7e07-68e1-4200-b460-cf2e1d39fbd1
  10. How do I set Windows to it's default settings?

How do I set Windows to it's default settings?: I am using windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-set-windows-to-its-default-settings/24530a82-b15f-4b57-a10c-8b3146961714

Users found this page by searching for:

1. set microphone level windows 10