Windows 10: how do I set up shortcuts so that a key combination runs a file?

Discus and support how do I set up shortcuts so that a key combination runs a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Win 7 you could create a shortcut to a file with the context menu, then assign a key combination to it. Hitting the key combination would run the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by needsleep, Oct 15, 2020.

1. needsleep Win User

how do I set up shortcuts so that a key combination runs a file?

In Win 7 you could create a shortcut to a file with the context menu, then assign a key combination to it. Hitting the key combination would run the file.

Can you set up the same type of shortcuts in Win 10?
    After creating the same type of shortcut, and setting the key combination, I was not able to run the file.

Thanks,
    ------------------
    Win 10 Pro
    Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)

:)

needsleep, Oct 15, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Microsoft Wireless Combination Keyboard & Shortcut Keys

Hi,

A keyboard shortcut key or combination of keys providing quick access to a particular function within a computer program. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Did you get any error messages when you try those keyboard shortcuts?
    • Does this happen only to Microsoft keyboard?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Oct 15, 2020
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Key combinations not working

Thanks for following up. In here, you can find the list of all the keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10. Check it out and
    see which key combinations are still working on Windows 10, and which are not.

We also tested on our end and only the Alt + F and Alt + P are working fine, and this is on a PC that is on the Fall Creators Update. May we suggest that you update your operating system to 1709 and see if the key combinations will work.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Oct 15, 2020
  4. grecinos Win User

Windows 10 shortcut key not working - Please help

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a shortcut key for a program/script that turns off my monitor. I've confirmed that the small program is working by double clicking on it. The problem I'm having is that when I go to create a shortcut key for it. First I create a shortcut to the program, then I set a shortcut key, say "ctrl-shift-s". After applying the changes, clicking Ok, I try to use the shortcut by pressing the ctrl-shift-s key combination. When I do this, nothing happens. I've confirmed that shortcut keys works with other apps like the Command Prompt. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Cheers,

grecinos

grecinos, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

1. how do I set up shortcuts so that a key combination runs a file? - Similar Threads - set shortcuts key

2. How do I remove keybinds combination?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove keybinds combination?: I have a laptop and yesterday I ve seen that keybinds S and Z are not working on there own. I need to press another key to make them work. Anyone know a solution for this?...
  3. Key Combination Do Not Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Key Combination Do Not Work: Hi,I have been facing an issue with my keyboard.All the keys work individually, but when i use the combination of Right Shift with "p", "'", "[", ";" buttons, it does not work. The right shift + other key combinations work fine.Please helpThanks,Vishnu S...
  4. Key Combination Do Not Work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Key Combination Do Not Work: Hi,I have been facing an issue with my keyboard.All the keys work individually, but when i use the combination of Right Shift with "p", "'", "[", ";" buttons, it does not work. The right shift + other key combinations work fine.Please helpThanks,Vishnu S...
  5. Key Combination Do Not Work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. How do I set apps to run on start-up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I set apps to run on start-up: I use a desktop customisation app called Rainmeter, which I'd like to automatically open whenever my pc starts up. On searching online the only way I found was to use the "Startup" settings section. However, the setting just displays a blank screen and does not give any...
  7. How to set up typing shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set up typing shortcuts?: Hi, I am wanting to set up typing shortcuts, for example if I type in syl, I want it to automatically change to see you later. I am not using microsoft word so I need it set up on my operating system rather than a program. Is this possible? Thanks...
  8. How do I search for files of type "shortcut?"

in Cortana
    How do I search for files of type "shortcut?": I found the Microsoft page describing Advanced Query Syntax for Windows Explorer file search, but it does not specifically address shortcut files and I can't figure out how to do it. I tried "kind: shortcut", but that just showed a few folders and files that had "shortcut" in...
  9. Shortcut to combine logoff and shutdown?

Shortcut to combine logoff and shutdown?: Windows 10 Home 64 bit running 20xx build. 2 users in the same laptop. If one user shutsdown the laptop without logging off, the next time another users goes to shutdown, it says that the other user is still logged in. So I am looking for a solution that gracefully logs out...
  10. How do I disable these key shortcuts?

How do I disable these key shortcuts?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Apeiro256 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f4ip19/how_do_i_disable_these_key_shortcuts/