Windows 10: How do I setup a home network

Discus and support How do I setup a home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Based on what little I have found. I can no longer set up a home network, through my router, with my two computers since the last update?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David435, Feb 10, 2020.

1. David435 Win User

How do I setup a home network

Based on what little I have found. I can no longer set up a home network, through my router, with my two computers since the last update?

:)

David435, Feb 10, 2020
  2. Boatvan Win User

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Kursah Win User
    Network Setup Suggestion

The router is the gateway to the internet...its the device keeping your network private, among many other capabilities like in your case would probably be dhcp, DNS, port forwarding, session filtering and firewall, subnet management, etc. Definitely don't want to go without (really really bad idea) or skimp here. It wouldn't go well for you without one...

As suggested above you could start with the cheaper Asus $60 option. Its a nice budget router and might do all you need and provide WiFi to the front of your home.

As routers...no..the only one maybe worth a damn is the R6300 and for the money you'd be wiser to go with the Asus TMobil deal or ERL from Amazon Prime for a router.
    • Netgear R6100 - Meh...I've replaced a few due to failures...they also run hot in my experience. Pass.
    • Netgear R6300 - Had better luck with these as an AP, but the Asus and ERL are better performers at routing. Though this one is decent and with DD-WRT would likely be decent...but why you'd pay more for this than the Asus TMobil deal or almost the same as a more capable ERL would be beyond me.
    • D-Link Dir-820 - No
    • D-Link Dir-860L - No...
    • TP-LINK C20i - Sigh...getting worse
    • ASUS AC53U - Ummm...why? When you can get an AC68U for $60 would you even consider this?
    There's a reason the ERL, ERX and Asus AC68U keep getting suggested, its because they're all good. The AC68U is only here because it's not running $150+...if it were I'd call it an overpriced home-grade router and I'd rather spend a little more and build my own PFSense box or spend just more than half and have an ERL.

Maybe spend a little more time researching what was suggested and what you listed to compare, review them, see the pros, cons, mods, options, things you'll have to deal with (pitfalls, disappointments, underperformances). Your router list has me confused as to what you're looking for unless your just grasping for a cheap wireless router for the front...if so, you won't beat the Asus deal right now...but don't screw around before that deal's up if that's what you're looking for. If it's out...then the R6300 becomes the best option on your list....but then I'd suggest an ERL and UniFi for the front too instead.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Feb 10, 2020
  4. How do I setup a home network

Network Setup Suggestion

Just to clarify

I ordered the ProSafe Switch and a single Unifi AP

Router is what has me contemplating. Not necessarily going cheap just looking around at options on the market.

Durvelle27, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

How do I setup a home network

1. How do I setup a home network - Similar Threads - setup home network

2. Setup a homegroup or a home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setup a homegroup or a home network.: HelloI want to setup a homegroup or a home network.The problem is that I do not manage to setup both PCs to the same homegroup.Printer tells me, that PC 1 is not in same Network as PC 2.Is the problem maybe the Devolo Powerline on which PC 2 is running?Thanks in advance for...
  3. Setup a homegroup or a home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setup a homegroup or a home network.: HelloI want to setup a homegroup or a home network.The problem is that I do not manage to setup both PCs to the same homegroup.Printer tells me, that PC 1 is not in same Network as PC 2.Is the problem maybe the Devolo Powerline on which PC 2 is running?Thanks in advance for...
  4. How do I authenticate on a home network share?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I authenticate on a home network share?: I have a home network with 4 computers all running Windows 10. When I click on "Network" in the file manager I can see the other computers but when I try to scan a shared directory to pull a file off a remote computer I am prompted for "network credentials." What credentials?...
  5. home network setup

home network setup: About the 5th time I've attempted to reestablish wireless connection from my desktop pc to my laptop, and also laptop to printer thru desktop. It used to work fine, now I can access desktop thru LT but can't even see LP from DT. Web and windows support seems to go in endless...
  6. I want to setup a home network wired

I want to setup a home network wired: I want to setup a home network wired with 2 windows 10 series 2019 . can you help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-setup-a-home-network-wired/f35f150c-c090-47de-a852-0a5cc6b3415f
  7. How do I make my home network my home network?

How do I make my home network my home network?: I am new to Windows 10 and can't get it to let me designate home and work networks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-my-home-network-my-home-network/88bb12d6-3435-4227-9ddb-0fac68031787
  8. how to setup a home network in windows 10

how to setup a home network in windows 10: how to setup a home network in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-a-home-network-in-windows-10/f4c89acd-1d1d-4044-9efb-fe4475cdbe9d
  9. how do I setup a home page?HOME PAGE

how do I setup a home page?HOME PAGE: How do I setup a home page? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-setup-a-home-pagehome-page/91226166-2e9a-41ca-b750-6db7fc8722be"
  10. how to setup home networking

how to setup home networking: How to setup a 2 person network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-home-networking/f481ec38-788c-4133-b5fe-666153409197