Windows 10: How do i setup start menu to show online search results without going to the browser?

Discus and support How do i setup start menu to show online search results without going to the browser? in Cortana to solve the problem; I want to be able to see search results by typing in the start menu search box, how do i set it up? windows 10 20h2... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Izuchukwu Ikechukwu, Nov 18, 2020.

1. How do i setup start menu to show online search results without going to the browser?

I want to be able to see search results by typing in the start menu search box, how do i set it up? windows 10 20h2

:)

Izuchukwu Ikechukwu, Nov 18, 2020
  2. Remonator Win User

Certain apps don't show in search results

Some of my applications don't show in search results when I search for them.

E.g. Visual Studio, it shows only a local directory named "Visual Studio 2017" but it doensn't show the application itself.

Some other applications are listed as wrong version (already uninstalled), and some others dont't show at all (e.g. Putty)

I've already rebuilt the index and ran sfc /scannow several times, and got shortcuts for the apps in both

• %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (Build 14393.1358)

Any suggestions?

Remonator, Nov 18, 2020
  3. YD Cui Win User
    Start menu Search can't click on search results leading to Settings pages + Settings search results not loading

After I installed the Creator's Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063.296), I found some results in start menu search being not clickable (i.e., no repsonse when clicking on them) while other results being fine.

I tried everything I could find by google:

• Restart Cortana through task manager
    • Restart WSearch service through services.msc
    • Rebuild windows search index
    • Reinstall/Re-register windows apps through Dism.exe
    • Modify windows registry

Nothing workable.

However, when logged in with another account, I found the start menu search working fine.

Then I read this article (SOLVED: Video: How To Hard Reset or Remove Cortana In Windows 10 – Up & Running Technologies, Tech How To's) and follow his steps 1-3:

• Create a new administrator on your Window 10 and sign in as that user
    • Delete (or rename) C:\Users\<PROBLEM USER>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
    • Sign back in as the PROBLEM USER
    • Open PowerShell as an admin and type (or paste)

Add-AppxPackage -Path “C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml” -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
    I didn't walk through all 4 steps, cause when I logged in with the "PROBLEM USER" I found everthing was okay.

I guess the start menu search (or cortana search) works as following procedures:

• Build a private database, including start menu programs, control panel items, etc.
    • When users try to search something, it starts from the private database
    • Then it shows the results queried from WSearch databases
    Hence, if something wrong with the items in its private database, the result is not clickable. Clear its private database will fix the problems.

YD Cui, Nov 18, 2020
  4. How do i setup start menu to show online search results without going to the browser?

Web Sites (Links) pinned to start menu do not show up in search

As you can already start web pages by just using the Start Menu Search, it would be nice to also get suggestions and autocomplete from your browser history using this way. (The same, that happens, when I start typing something in Edge's address or search
    bar)

I already tried pinning web sites to my start menu, but even those don't appear in the results list when using the search bar.

Currently, only some featured content by Bing seems to show up there.

Is there a way to include at least pinned links in the search results?

Thanks & Rgds

Fabian

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Fabian Flanhardt, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

How do i setup start menu to show online search results without going to the browser?

1. How do i setup start menu to show online search results without going to the browser? - Similar Threads - setup start menu

2. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  3. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  4. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  5. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  6. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Cortana
  7. Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Programs that I have had for a long time do still appear in search results. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the...
  8. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

in Cortana
    Start Menu not showing search results for documents: Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating. Why is this? I rebuilt...
  9. How do I fix start menu search for web results?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I fix start menu search for web results?: Whenever I hit the start button, and type something in to search the web. I get this pop up "you'll need a new app to open this ms-appx-web". This started after the April Windows 10 update, how do I fix this so I can make web searches from just the start menu?...
  10. How to disable search online in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable search online in the start menu: I would like to disable where windows 10 offers search online recommendations when doing a normal search after clicking on the start menu. I only want the search confined to my computer. Been looking online at loads of different options from reg hacks to going through...