Windows 10: How do I share between three machines using a single Microsoft ID?

Discus and support How do I share between three machines using a single Microsoft ID? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have accounts on three machines, logged in with the same Microsoft ID on each, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to share files between them across... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ricecrispies, Feb 8, 2017.

1. How do I share between three machines using a single Microsoft ID?

I have accounts on three machines, logged in with the same Microsoft ID on each, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to share files between them across the LAN. Depending on what I do, I get errors such as "This folder can't be shared" or "You do not have permission to access...". What am I supposed to do? All I want to do is to share files between me, me and me. Nothing more elaborate.

:)

ricecrispies, Feb 8, 2017

2. Difficulty connecting two machines on one LAN

I have two machines each with the latest Windows 10 pro installed and fully updated. Each machine has a single user name with the same single password. Sharing options, etc. are identical between the two machines. With machine one I can access the shared
    folders on machine two by entering the sharing username and password. This lets me access the shared folders on machine two. However if I start by going to machine two and doing this to access machine one it says that the password is wrong. If I then try to
    access machine one using the username "user" (there is no such user on machine one or on machine two) and enter the password for the single username then that is accepted and I can access the shared folders on machine one from machine two. The consequence
    of this is that I cannot automatically copy shared folders from one machine to another by waking up machine two and performing the copy.

What an earth is happening?

cdm_at_ast, Feb 8, 2017
  3. How do I share files owned by a single Microsoft ID across different machines?

It turns out there wee two problems. One of these was that Windows had become corrupted on my new laptop as I was setting up my first user account. This was fixed by a factory reset. The other problem was that the SMB server on another machine had crashed.
    This was fixed by a reboot.

swamp#thing, Feb 8, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

How do I share between three machines using a single Microsoft ID?

[Hi there

probably going against about 90% of people on these Forums - but FORGET Ms ID's -- just use local ID.

Then on each computer allow sharing via properties in Windows explorer

Works every time.

ATTACH=CONFIG]120497[/ATTACH]

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 8, 2017
  5. Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I find OneDrive very useful, so local login is not an option.

ricecrispies, Feb 8, 2017
  6. sml156 Win User
    I'm sure that Brink has already made a tutorial about this but I just finished installing Win 10 and I had to share a folder so i documented it.

1: Right click on the folder you want to share.
    2: Select Properties
    3: Select Sharing
    4: Select Advanced Sharing
    5: Check the checkbox for Share this Folder
    6: Ether change the Share name or leave it as is.
    7: Select Permissions
    8: Click on Add
    9: If you want you can safely remove or un-check all items in the Everyone (All Users)
    10: Type your Microsoft ID (email)
    11: Press the radio button "Check Names"
    12: Press OK
    13: Select all Allow checkbox's for MS Id.
    14: Press Apply
    15: Press OK

How do I share between three machines using a single Microsoft ID? [​IMG]

Note In step 9: and 13 if you select the checkbox Deny that will deny sharing for all Users.

sml156, Feb 8, 2017
  7. Thanks, but I've already done all that!

Here's the current state of play:

I have three machines: ERMINTRUDE, DOUGAL and ZEBEDEE. When I try to set up sharing on DOUGAL I simply get the message "Your folder can't be shared". On the other hand I can share from ERMINTRUDE to DOUGAL. However if I try to access ERMINTRUDE from ZEBEDEE, I get the message "You do not have permission to access \\ERMINTRUDE\Robert...". It is almost the same if I try to access ZEBEDEE from ERMINTRUDE, except that I can go one level down into the shared home folder before I get stopped with the "You do not have permission..." message.

One thing that might be relevant is that ZEBEDEE only arrived today, and when I was getting it ready and going through the account setup, at which I entered details of my Microsoft account, it went really wrong and I had no choice but to force a shutdown and restart. When it restarted it created another account and it took me quite a while to work out what had been going on, by which point I had already created a local login and installed a fair bit of stuff. So I deleted the original account and assigned the Microsoft login to the second account. Could this be the reason why my logins on ZEBEDEE and ERMINTRUDE don't seem to recognise each other?

ricecrispies, Feb 9, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

What folders are you sharing? if you set the sharing folders correct what are the ntfs permission on the folder its self? how do you connect cmdline, explorer other

Samuria, Feb 9, 2017
  9. I'm not sure what you mean by "how do you connect cmd line, explorer..."

When I change the permissions on all the subfolders in the share on ZEBEDEE to allow read access to Home Users, I can dig into all the folders from ERMINTRUDE. My own MS ID has full control permissions, but it still can't access the files on the other machine, starting from either side. Does this mean that I am right to think that something got broken when my login got in a mess on the new machine? Is there a way to fix this?

10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

IMO the disadvantages of having to use an Ms account far outweigh the advantages of Local accounts -- if you must use cloud services there are a whole slew of Free ones --dropbox, google and a whole slew more.

Probably the only reason for an Ms ID is to get stuff from that hideous store - but I never install stuff on Windows from the store anyway.

Here's 4 computers -- no problem sharing at all (In an array / network connection of Many to Many) -- i.e every computer has access to all the shared resources on every other one both ways.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2017
  11. I created two accounts with the same local user name and password on each on two of my machines and came up against the same permissions error when I tried to share between them as with the Microsoft login. So it looks like the Microsoft login is not the issue. And now the Start menu and search tool have stopped working on my new computer. I'm starting to wonder whether the factory-installed Windows is just generally screwed up and whether I should wipe the disk and reinstall Windows downloaded directly from Microsoft.

12. strollin Win User
    I've experimented with both local accounts and MS accounts on my network and can't find any real advantage to either one, they both seem to work equally well for me.

You can use OneDrive and the Store on a machine with a local account. You will still need a MS account to login to OneDrive and the Store but you can login to the machine with a local account.

Only certain "features" of Windows 10, such as Cortana, actually require you to be logged into the machine with a MS account.

strollin, Feb 9, 2017
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I wasn't sure about onedrive but you've answered that one . I don't use Cortana either --there's enough noise around without having every conceivable device controllable by barking commands at it !!!! however of course YMMV.

I'd suggest to the OP he re-installs clean W10 again -- and get all the latest updates.

Windows networking is generally a REAL one of these

but the latest update seems to have fixed it (for the moment) !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2017
  14. I was a bit sniffy about Cortana, but now I've discovered how useful OK Google is on my phone, I'm starting to change my mind.

The last time I had the Start Menu fail on me was when I upgraded one of my other machines from Windows 7. I spent a long time trying to fix it, but in the end a clean install proved a lot easier. I suspect that is what I will do this time, but I just want to double check that there aren't any horrible hidden downsides to getting rid of the preinstalled software that I haven't thought of.

15. sml156 Win User
    You should go to the computer manufactures support site and download all the drivers For your motherboard, Lan ,WiFi ,Audio ,Video and whatever else they have for that computer and put them on a USB drive.

If you don't know the official web site just do a google search.
    EG:
    support Acer
    or
    support HP
    or
    support Toshiba

Most manufacturers have tool that you download to auto detect what computer you have and makes it easier to find the right drivers.

sml156, Feb 10, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I share between three machines using a single Microsoft ID? - Similar Threads - share between three

2. How do I manage syncing of items between Microsoft ID's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I manage syncing of items between Microsoft ID's?: I'm signed in with my personal Microsoft ID on my home PC's. I also use my personal MS ID on my work computer small company However, I don't want my work items, that are being backed up to OneDrive, automatically syncing to my home PC's and vice-versa. Is there a way to fix...
  3. How do I manage syncing of items between Microsoft ID's?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I manage syncing of items between Microsoft ID's?: I'm signed in with my personal Microsoft ID on my home PC's. I also use my personal MS ID on my work computer small company However, I don't want my work items, that are being backed up to OneDrive, automatically syncing to my home PC's and vice-versa. Is there a way to fix...
  4. How do I use my single use code?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I use my single use code?: How do I use my single use code? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-use-my-single-use-code/ca3a4d72-3a87-4dac-ad79-1de306062bfa
  5. How do I use my single use code?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I use my single use code?: How do I use my single use code? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-use-my-single-use-code/ca3a4d72-3a87-4dac-ad79-1de306062bfa
  6. Files sharing between three computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files sharing between three computers: I have two PCs named PC3 and PC4 and recently added a laptop named HPStream. PC3 can access shared folders on PC4 and HPstream. PC4 can access shared folders on PC3 and HPstream. HPStream can access shared folders on PC4 but not on PC3 — HPStream sees the shared folders on...
  7. Unwanted keyboard layout sharing between machines

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unwanted keyboard layout sharing between machines: Hi, I have two computers. A workstation with a belgian keyboard layout and a laptop with a German keyboad layout. I only use local accounts on these machines but I do log into my microsoft account for office onedrive etc. Since the last update, suddenly my workstation has...
  8. Sharing folders between three windows 10 PCs - not working

Sharing folders between three windows 10 PCs - not working: Hi, I'm not normally a pessimist but trying to share folders between the PCs is failing completely. Sometimes there is a connection sometimes there isn't. Sometimes folders show up on other computers sometimes they don't. One day it works the next it doesn't. I've been...
  9. Sharing folders on home network between machine using enterprise Azure ID and another...

Sharing folders on home network between machine using enterprise Azure ID and another...: I have two laptops running Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit. My personal machine runs the pro version and uses an offline account (Bob). My work machine runs the enterprise version and uses an Azure account linked to my company e-mail (AzureAD\Bob). Both are connected to my wireless...
  10. How do I share everything between two laptops?

How do I share everything between two laptops?: I have two laptops both running Windows 10 and I need to be able to access ALL data from either one via WiFi. One laptop is my main one that I use everyday in my house. The other laptop I need to use is in my workshop, however, I need to be able to access all...